Reload this Page >

Best place to move in Spain

Wikiposts

Best place to move in Spain

Old Mar 8th 2015, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Keonistevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best place to move in Spain

I've been thinking of moving to Spain and I had my mind set on benidorm but I'm just wondering where's the best place to move with better chance of jobs? I would like to think more of the regions like Benidorm Minorca Ibiza etc etc

Thanks again
Old Mar 8th 2015, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place to move in Spain

I only know Benidorm but any of the resorts out of season would be a real struggle to earn any sort of a living in. Just think of the UK resorts, they can be desolate out of season. If you spoke a second language that would be a bonus at any time of year. My advice would be to go at the start of the season and use the time to work and get to know the scene.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Could you tell me more about benidorm? What are the wages a month like in benidorm and what sectors of work are best to look at first?
Old Mar 8th 2015, 8:46 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Can't speak for Benidorm, but I reckon in terms of wages it's not entirely different from here - and frankly, Benidorm is likely to offer a bit less with a higher cost of living.

Average income here in Mallorca is about €1200 per month (for those employed) and a lot of people make less than that. But depending on where you live, cost of living varies wildly - it can be very expensive, or extremely cheap. If you have a professional position, it would be about €2000. People do make more than that (especially in Government positions), but it's unusual. Most of the "real money" here comes from elsewhere.

Minorca is radically different from Benidorm. Minorca is a quiet, isolated place populated largely by old families, expats and pensioners that bring their money with them (or had it in the family). Getting a job in Minorca would be a pretty special event. And even then, it would likely be seasonal and pretty low paying. But then, the cost of living in Minorca is ridiculously cheap. For a reason.

Ibiza, well, it's small, very seasonal. Lots of competition for jobs. And again, most of the money there comes from elsewhere. Most people bring it with them.

Spain is in general, a good place to have money. But not too much. They have a tendency to believe any excess is theirs.

Last edited by amideislas; Mar 8th 2015 at 8:56 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keonistevens
Could you tell me more about benidorm? What are the wages a month like in benidorm and what sectors of work are best to look at first?
Best place is different for all of us, but people going to Benidorm just want cheap, so you can't expect huge salaries and it's mainly tourism. Here an idea, but without language you don't stand a chance. €12.000- €18.000 is actually a pretty decent salary.

Oferta de empleo de Cocineros de Restaurante (Benidorm) en Alicante-Alacant - Hosteleo.com

Ibiza and Minorca are two complete different markets and a lot pricier to live with less jobs available.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 9:37 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keonistevens
In Benidorm many of the smaller Spanish and English businesses are struggling to make a living so are probably not employing outsiders. Those that are doing so tend to pay minimum wages. I am not sure whether any of our members work in Benidorm so you may not gain exact details on wages etc. However we all do know that unemployment is high and that wages therefore can be very low.

For example a lady I know has two degrees and works in a nursery school full time and takes home 800 euros a month. Her husband is unemployed even though he is well qualified, the only way that they can survive on this is amount is because they live with her mother.

Benidorm is popular with both Spanish and English tourists so I suspect that you would need to be able to speak both to a good level. If you have some savings that you are happy to use to support yourself whilst investigating the area in person that is by far your best bet. You may be lucky enough to gain employment and find somewhere to live that you could afford but it could be very difficult so you do need to have resources and also the ability to return to the UK if you are not lucky with the venture.

Rosemary
Old Mar 12th 2015, 8:14 am
Just Joined

xirles is an unknown quantity at this point

Think you may be a bit late for summer season this year but there are winter ski jobs etc on this site too. Very popular site for job hunting in your age group:
Seasonal Ski & Summer Jobs | TEFL | Gap Year abroad

Have a look and also at the forum posts on there from those going out to resorts this year.

Good luck
Old Mar 12th 2015, 9:22 am
Just Joined

I know I'm going to miss the summer season that's why now I'm thinking maybe a part of the Canary Islands where it's sunny most of the year I thought by going after the summer and get a job it would be easier to get a full time one for more than a couple of months would that be possible or really hard?
Old Mar 13th 2015, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I moved to Benidorm last September and I have got to know several people who have their own business. It seems they are all struggling to keep afloat. Even though the local papers keep telling us that tourism is on the up this year, it's not being seen in Benidorm!
Benidorm is a fantastic place if you don't have to work. Definitely cheap to live here with plenty of cheap apartments and eating out is cheaper than buying groseries and cooking. The "free" entertainment is getting a bit naff though (they still think that 'Sticky Vicky' is a crowd puller!)
Definitely not a place to expect to get a job in bars etc.
Good luck.
Old Mar 14th 2015, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

The Spanish economy continues in severe downturn mode. The country does not have the wherewithal, will or ambition to climb out of where it is. Hope of securing employment on cold calling is practically nil. Even if you get employment waiting on tables you are dependent on tips which are dwindling also. Many won't admit it, but some parts of Spain are just a step up from being 3rd World. I could say more, but I couldn't be bothered listening to those denying the full truth. And if you think there are dishonest politicians in the UK/Ireland, have a look at the Spanish politicians who make Frank Underwood (House of Cards) look like an altar boy.
Old Mar 14th 2015, 10:31 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leper
The Spanish economy continues in severe downturn mode. The country does not have the wherewithal, will or ambition to climb out of where it is. Hope of securing employment on cold calling is practically nil. Even if you get employment waiting on tables you are dependent on tips which are dwindling also. Many won't admit it, but some parts of Spain are just a step up from being 3rd World. I could say more, but I couldn't be bothered listening to those denying the full truth. And if you think there are dishonest politicians in the UK/Ireland, have a look at the Spanish politicians who make Frank Underwood (House of Cards) look like an altar boy.
I have to agree with you regarding tips. I eat in a variety of restaurants in various towns near to where I live and they always seem quite shocked to receive a tip. However I am not sure whether that is because I live in a Spanish area or not. Are tips more prevalent in tourist areas, is it a nationality thing?

Rosemary
Old Mar 14th 2015, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

G-Diffy is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in a touristy area and tips are expected from tourists and guiris. When we go out for dinner with Spanish friends they never leave a tip. If we go somewhere where we are "known" we will sometimes leave a tip without our friends noticing!
Old Mar 15th 2015, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I have to agree with you regarding tips. I eat in a variety of restaurants in various towns near to where I live and they always seem quite shocked to receive a tip. However I am not sure whether that is because I live in a Spanish area or not. Are tips more prevalent in tourist areas, is it a nationality thing?

Rosemary
The Spanish seem to only leave loose change as tip. They certainly haven't got the tipping culture of the UK although I suspect that is slowly changing.
I tip as I cannot get out of the habit!
Off to the States next week where tipping is more or less mandatory.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
However I am not sure whether that is because I live in a Spanish area or not. Are tips more prevalent in tourist areas, is it a nationality thing?

Rosemary
Tips are always expected at formal restaurants, from all nationalities. While Spaniards won't leave 15%, they will still leave maybe 5-20 euros in such places

At more informal places then yes, just 1-2 euros are left. And less if just for a snack or coffee

Oh and Leper, the Spanish economy grew faster than any other European country last quarter. Seems you need to get out of that Leper colony
Old Mar 16th 2015, 4:01 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Off to the States next week where tipping is more or less mandatory.
We are in Santa Monica at present. I was surprised to see all of the restaurants and hotels show how much tip as a % of the bill i.e. 10% minimum, 18% (the expected norm) and 20%. I was shocked to see how many beggars are on the streets. Far more common than I am used to seeing in Spain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.