Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Best offline GPS/Sat Nav app for Android

Best offline GPS/Sat Nav app for Android

Old Jun 9th 2014, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Tuco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best offline GPS/Sat Nav app for Android

Hi, I've read countless reviews on apps. for Android for sat nav using offline previously downloaded maps via the GPS on the phone and the main contenders for paid apps appear to be, CoPilot, Sygic, TomTom and Garmin(Navigon).

I will be driving whilst in Spain and so wondered if anbody uses any of the above apps on an Android phone and if so what you like/dislike about the app(s).

TIA.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best offline GPS/Sat Nav app for Android

Have a look at this app and just download and use the free maps that you require. They are regularly updated just updated the Spanish ones on mine today. You do not need to be online to use it once you have downloaded the required maps. Works just like any other satnav with voice and map directions. I have not had any problems using it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ctor.navigator
Old Jun 12th 2014, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

OK thanks, will give it a try.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuco
Hi, I've read countless reviews on apps. for Android for sat nav using offline previously downloaded maps via the GPS on the phone and the main contenders for paid apps appear to be, CoPilot, Sygic, TomTom and Garmin(Navigon).

I will be driving whilst in Spain and so wondered if anbody uses any of the above apps on an Android phone and if so what you like/dislike about the app(s).

TIA.
I started out with TomTom and worked my way around Garmins and various other random choices. But I always felt I liked the TomTom menu best. That may be because it was what I used first and got ued to. Ive just downloaded TomTom on Android for our last trip driving around Catalunya/Barcelona. And I must say it did rather well. It also performed well on Madeiras dodgy roads the other week. Nice clear directions, 3d maps in places. Easy to understand Junction/exit dispays. And an easy online search function. I tried all the free ones, and although TomTom costs. I found it the best. . But I dont regret buying it. All the best.

Last edited by Fred James; Jun 22nd 2014 at 5:41 pm. Reason: Removed link to Torrent site as per site rules.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 4:10 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I just use the google maps/navi app that comes with every phone. It's pretty good and I haven't found any reason to use anything else.

Just download the area you want while you have wifi and you won't need to use a mobile connection (unless of course you turn on Google satellite imagery while in navi mode - it's really fab, but it requires an internet connection).
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
I just use the google maps/navi app that comes with every phone. It's pretty good and I haven't found any reason to use anything else.

Just download the area you want while you have wifi and you won't need to use a mobile connection (unless of course you turn on Google satellite imagery while in navi mode - it's really fab, but it requires an internet connection).
Without a doubt. Google is the best free map app. However, I still feel the advanced lane assist of TomTom makes unfamiliar motorway exits far less sphincter inducing. (essential with my driving! ) And the IQ routes & TomTom places make for some nice useful features. So yes. I agree. Big Brother Googles version is great for free. But I feel app versus app, TomTom edges it. And if you look on the torrent sites, you can try the full version of TomTom Europe for free anyway. So try both maybe? And then you can decide what you like the best.

Last edited by t2uds; Jun 23rd 2014 at 9:33 am. Reason: removed torrent link
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice. I experimented with several apps. and after a week's free trial with Sygic and trying it out, I decided to sign up.

I like the UI and features and look forward to giving it a proper test drive in Spain in October.

Appreciate the feedback.

Last edited by Tuco; Jun 23rd 2014 at 2:22 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tuco
Thanks for the advice. I experimented with several apps. and after a week's free trial with Sygic and trying it out, I decided to sign up.

I like the UI and features and look forward to giving it a proper test drive in Spain in October.

Appreciate the feedback.
Never heard of it But Im glad you found one you like.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Last year on a trip to the USA I used Navfree :- http://www.navmii.com/gpsnavigation it's free

You can download any maps you want before a trip all free and never need access to the internet again, I downloaded all the states in New England plus the whole of Canada.
It worked fairly well but I had trouble in large cities, maybe due to the satellites being blocked by the tall buildings or poor reception on my phone.

Just a note :- I could not download Navfree in Gib so had to nip over to Spain to do so, thereafter all maps etc were available for me to download in Gib. I did this on 3 devices.

This year I purchased a cheap Mio satnav off Amazon Spain with full European maps.
Then I rented the whole of USA & Canada for 30 days for a cost of €20.
This was excellent, much better than Navfree.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Or just buy a satnav from Ebay with European maps on. I have had a couple of branded sat navs that either went belly up or out of date maps. When a Navigon only lasted just outside the gaurantee period before it started to freeze up. I bought a 5" sat nav with case from Ebay for just over £30. It has free lifetime map updates uses IGO 8 maps works as good as any. Been using it over 12 months now got me from Newcastle to Costa del Sol no problem. I also use it for voluntary work in UK most days for taking people to and from hospital, never let me down so far. Also has 3.5 audio connection so can use it on the motorbike.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Ben1986 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I follow a travel blogger on Instagram (lozula, his photos are incredible, check him out!) who recently recommended "maps with me" as one of the best travel apps.

Read his review here Eight Travel Apps We Never Leave Home Without

I've installed it and downloaded the maps around Palma for offline viewing.

Ben
Old Jul 1st 2014, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by t2uds
I started out with TomTom and worked my way around Garmins and various other random choices. But I always felt I liked the TomTom menu best. That may be because it was what I used first and got ued to. Ive just downloaded TomTom on Android for our last trip driving around Catalunya/Barcelona. And I must say it did rather well. It also performed well on Madeiras dodgy roads the other week. Nice clear directions, 3d maps in places. Easy to understand Junction/exit dispays. And an easy online search function. I tried all the free ones, and although TomTom costs. I found it the best. . But I dont regret buying it. All the best.
I bought a Chinese 7" navigator for 70Euros it came loaded with IGo software and European maps, it was awful even with the upgrade to Primo and the latest maps. Malaga was a joke, It used to try and make me go to Carrefour every time. I had a Tomtom XL until it was stolen but had kept the original soft and maps. I had used only a copy in the XL. I managed to load this software on the 7" jobbie and it works pretty well after all.
M
Old Jul 1st 2014, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I use Igo8 in a sat nav without any problem whatsoever use it nearly daily in UK and found it spot on. I have used it in Spain but admitedly not around Malaga itself. It gets me from Santander to Sayalonga with only one minor glitch for about 1/2 a mile on the A1 when it tells you to turn right off the motorway where there is no turning. Other than I have found it as good as and better than some others.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

After using TomTom for a fiveyears and then after it was nicked, IGo Primo for 2 years, I was happy to go back. My wife found Primo very confusing, this may have been something to do with it being an Italian version. On more than one occasion it changed the destination while we were using it causing considerable confusion and time wasting. One day in Malaga ,it had us going in a big circle without any recalc etc. I have to admit though that TT took us to the centre of Barcelona instead of the hotel on the outskirts.
Interestingly I have Primo on my HTC android phone, I rarely use it but the display options appear to work better than on the chinky navigator.
M