Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Best meal quality/price?

Best meal quality/price?

Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:09 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best meal quality/price?

We visited friends in Torrevieja, and went out for fish and chips.
It was called the INN Plaice, and the food (cod chips and mushies and bread and butter) was fantastic.
I have never had such tasty fish and chips in my life, and I have had plenty.
Congrats to the owners of this great eatery......Superb.
It has got to be the best price/quality meal in the province, even Spain.
When our friends said they were taking us to eat fish and chips, we were OK about it, but not overly impressed. Now we know why they rave so much about this place.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 9:42 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best meal quality/price?

Are you on a free meal for the advertising ?
Old Apr 16th 2009, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by me me
It was called the INN Plaice, and the food (cod chips and mushies and bread and butter) was fantastic.
When our friends said they were taking us to eat fish and chips, we were OK about it, but not overly impressed. Now we know why they rave so much about this place.
Just out of curiousity, how much was this fish and chips? Although as with most meals cheap does not necessarily mean quality. We do not live nearby but I would be interested to know how much the price differs for a decent plate of fish and chips.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to be a bit pretentious (moi?) but when I saw the thread title I thought it was about the best meal in Spain - ie restaurant or chiringuito or bar or whatever, not Britgrub. I was thinking of that wonderful Conejo con ajo at the place overlooking Vinuela, the solomillo by the kilo in Casabermeja, the gambas pil pil at La Caleta, blah blah blah....... but fish and chips? Well actually yes I do like fish & chips, living near Lowestoft for years (& at the time married to a marine biologist!) I know what decent fish is.....& love fish - has to be haddock for me - & chips...... but the best meal in Spain? Come on tell me you're joking.... go on I double dare you.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

We fancied fish and chips last night (which happens very rarely - the salad would keep another day) and we went to a place in Alfaz near where I work - we have never eaten there before and the fish and chips were beautifully cooked. Two cod, chips and garden peas, two slices of bread and butter, one coffee and one beer - €18.30. That´s our eating out done for this month
Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:53 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fionamw
Sorry to be a bit pretentious (moi?) but when I saw the thread title I thought it was about the best meal in Spain - ie restaurant or chiringuito or bar or whatever, not Britgrub. I was thinking of that wonderful Conejo con ajo at the place overlooking Vinuela, the solomillo by the kilo in Casabermeja, the gambas pil pil at La Caleta, blah blah blah....... but fish and chips? Well actually yes I do like fish & chips, living near Lowestoft for years (& at the time married to a marine biologist!) I know what decent fish is.....& love fish - has to be haddock for me - & chips...... but the best meal in Spain? Come on tell me you're joking.... go on I double dare you.
Fiona, that made me really hungry !
Old Apr 16th 2009, 5:43 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Each meal was 6 euro.

We really do think it is the best quality/price meal we have had in Spain, I am not joking and neither is my OH:
We have eaten all over Spain, in the regions where it is classed have having the best food, Segovia for lamb, Galicia for seafood etc and for price, quality this is the best and we are Spanish, so we have no snobbery about it being "Britgrub". We loved it, we have no connection with this chippy.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 5:48 pm
Banned

Dont forget we have familly who can cook us better Spanish meals than any restaurant, and we were both brought up eating Mamas cooking, my mother in law makes the best cocido in the world, and her pochas con almejas is devine, and her revuelto is far better than anything I have tasted anywhere, but I am not counting home cooking, just eating out.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

Dont forget we have familly who can cook us better Spanish meals than any restaurant, and we were both brought up eating Mamas cooking, my mother in law makes the best cocido in the world, and her pochas con almejas is devine, and her revuelto is far better than anything I have tasted anywhere, but I am not counting home cooking, just eating out.
I am not British either and to me it is irrelevant if the food when eating out at a restaurant is Spanish, British, Indian or Moroccan. It just needs to be good tasting, well presented and worth the price you pay for it. And sadly in whichever country you live in (or maybe because I am getting more choosy as I have travelled from country to country) these eateries seem to be disappearing.

So congrats to you for finding a place that you feel is actually worth talking about.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 9:36 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Got one place near here that I definitely would not recommend, went there with friends, only people in the whole evening, and one of the party was very ill later that night, and she was the only person who had anything different to the rest of us, she couldn't finish it. It's well advertised and runs a fish and chip restaurant and a carvery, but definitely off our list now, and in any case SueGs place sounds good, and as we are moving up there next week is a definite possibility.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 9:44 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sharon B
I am not British either and to me it is irrelevant if the food when eating out at a restaurant is Spanish, British, Indian or Moroccan. It just needs to be good tasting, well presented and worth the price you pay for it. And sadly in whichever country you live in (or maybe because I am getting more choosy as I have travelled from country to country) these eateries seem to be disappearing.

So congrats to you for finding a place that you feel is actually worth talking about.
Yes I agree with you about the nationality of food, because although we are living in Spain for some of us Spanish food is nothing new and not a novelty, and so much of it is badly cooked.
Talkingabout Moroccan food there is a fabulous place which does cous cous on the maring at EL CAMPELLO.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:54 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

steakhouse in Madrid on Calle de Tetuan are Chiringuito beach restaurant of santa pola at Casa del cap , are in elche Placa de Raval , all good and meal and drinks per person around 15 euros

not bad

jurdy
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

I find that a lot of places I go and thought the meal was great first time and went again and was disappointed ,and it always seems to happen when you bring friends or family
Old Apr 24th 2009, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hondon Voyager
I find that a lot of places I go and thought the meal was great first time and went again and was disappointed ,and it always seems to happen when you bring friends or family

..... yes.... why IS that?
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
..... yes.... why IS that?
Usually a change of chef. ;-))

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.