Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Best Job Sites (in English) For Mallorca / Palma?

Best Job Sites (in English) For Mallorca / Palma?

Old Nov 20th 2014, 6:30 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 12
Leon_82_UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Job Sites (in English) For Mallorca / Palma?

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Leon_82_UK is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2014, 6:59 pm
  #2  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 19,367
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Job Sites (in English) For Mallorca / Palma?

There really aren't any comprehensive job sites in English that are specifically focused on Mallorca (not in high demand). Probably the most comprehensive website fitting that description would be Think Spain.

Beware, however, that a lot of the jobs listed there fall into the category of those "work at home" jobs that pay little or nothing and are high pressure / a lot of work.

Also, as this is one of the busiest job sites in Spain, there are generally a lot of applicants for these jobs, and so it has developed a reputation for applicants never receiving any response at all.

Frankly, I'd be a little reluctant to offer too much personal information at first. You never know who's on the other end.

Having said that, there is a local German site that is well-respected and some of the job offers are in English, specifically targeting English-speakers. InselRadio.com

Good luck.
amideislas is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:05 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 12
Leon_82_UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Job Sites (in English) For Mallorca / Palma?

Thank you.

Trying to get my company to let me relocate in my current role, cheaper to employ me in Spain so fingers crossed that comes off maybe!
Leon_82_UK is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:11 pm
  #4  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 27,400
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Job Sites (in English) For Mallorca / Palma?

Originally Posted by Leon_82_UK
Thank you.

Trying to get my company to let me relocate in my current role, cheaper to employ me in Spain so fingers crossed that comes off maybe!
You do realise that, unless you are getting a company transfer, you re trying to get a job in a country with one of the worse unemployment rates in the EU, and many jobs will be very low paid because they can get locals to work for peanuts.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:23 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 12
Leon_82_UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Job Sites (in English) For Mallorca / Palma?

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You do realise that, unless you are getting a company transfer, you re trying to get a job in a country with one of the worse unemployment rates in the EU, and many jobs will be very low paid because they can get locals to work for peanuts.
Indeed, however TUI Travel (who I don't work for) have an office Palma office which is an option if jobs up come via the UK recruitment site.

The company I work for now has a large call centre there and accounts dept (which I do now) and a few people have moved over already, see your point which means to be honest the 'lower risk' is me trying to get over there in a role with my current company or someone else who has a office there?

I'm expecting a salary drop however........
Leon_82_UK is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:32 pm
  #6  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 19,367
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Job Sites (in English) For Mallorca / Palma?

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You do realise that, unless you are getting a company transfer, you re trying to get a job in a country with one of the worse unemployment rates in the EU, and many jobs will be very low paid because they can get locals to work for peanuts.
...unless of course you can land a government job, which pay very well, and offer a lot of benefits. Unfortunately, those are generally reserved for native Catalan speakers with a respectable recommendation from someone inside. And if you belong to an ethnic minority, you can pretty much rule that option out.

In fact, even if you're well educated, looking for any job, and just happen to be black, your chances of winning the lottery are far better.

Back to topic: there is a good-sized maritime industry here (sea transport, cruise ships, yachts, etc) which is fundamentally an English-speaking business, and there are some well-paying jobs in all areas, but depending on the role, you generally need certs!
amideislas is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:37 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 12
Leon_82_UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Job Sites (in English) For Mallorca / Palma?

All this advice is very welcome.

I don't speak Spainish, however am learning at the moment.

At a guess, what type of salary range would you consider poor paid there to OK paid?

Most of my career history is office based, both finance and travel related. Ex TUI staff.
Leon_82_UK is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:41 pm
  #8  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 19,367
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Job Sites (in English) For Mallorca / Palma?

Originally Posted by Leon_82_UK
Indeed, however TUI Travel (who I don't work for) have an office Palma office which is an option if jobs up come via the UK recruitment site.

The company I work for now has a large call centre there and accounts dept (which I do now) and a few people have moved over already, see your point which means to be honest the 'lower risk' is me trying to get over there in a role with my current company or someone else who has a office there?

I'm expecting a salary drop however........
All considered, your current company is probably your best shot.

TUI could be a good second, but again, whilst there are increasing promotions to attract English tourism, Brits still do not constitute the bulk of tourism here, and therefore, language is a big advantage. German, French, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian... any of those would be a big advantage for you (in addition to Spanish or Catalan, of course).
amideislas is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:46 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 12
Leon_82_UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Job Sites (in English) For Mallorca / Palma?

Always could get a job in Magaluf............ or maybe not
Leon_82_UK is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2014, 9:12 pm
  #10  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 19,367
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Job Sites (in English) For Mallorca / Palma?

Originally Posted by Leon_82_UK
Always could get a job in Magaluf............ or maybe not
Perhaps, in high season. "High Season" is May-October. Long hours, plenty of drunken slobbery... But it may help pay the rent.

Another option is; like many people, just become an "estate agent". Requires nothing more than to sign on as "autonomo" (self-employed). Pay your minimum social security every month, and you're a bona-fide estate agent legally selling/renting properties, holiday lets, package holidays. Of course, since almost everyone everybody is already in that business, there just isn't that much to go around.

But if you have a large network of friends in the UK who are all dying to visit or live in Mallorca? No doubt you can "help".
amideislas is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2014, 9:53 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 12
Leon_82_UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Job Sites (in English) For Mallorca / Palma?

I'll bang on and hint at work......
Leon_82_UK is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.