Benidorm advice! Cost of living and working

Benidorm advice! Cost of living and working

Old May 8th 2017, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

ames is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Benidorm advice! Cost of living and working

Hi everyone

Thanks for reading in advance, i've rambled on quite a bit! :/

I'm looking for a little bit of advice about working and living in Benidorm.
I absolutely LOVE Benidorm and have been many time for short breaks and holidays. Turns out my boss also loves Benidorm and is opening a business out there later on in the year. She has asked me too join her, in return, she will provide accomodation, bills and the odd night out on her! She will also pay me around £100 a week.

Assuming I wont be eating out and will cook meals etc, does living off £100 a week seem doable?

I know everyones lifestyle and idea about 'comfortable' is different, I'm just trying to get an idea about weekly food costs, travel costs

Any advice will be greatly recieved!!

Thank you
Amy
Old May 8th 2017, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benidorm advice! Cost of living and working

Originally Posted by ames
Hi everyone

I absolutely LOVE Benidorm and have been many time for short breaks and holidays. Turns out my boss also loves Benidorm and is opening a business out there later on in the year. She has asked me too join her, in return, she will provide accomodation, bills and the odd night out on her! She will also pay me around £100 a week.

Assuming I wont be eating out and will cook meals etc, does living off £100 a week seem doable?

I know everyones lifestyle and idea about 'comfortable' is different, I'm just trying to get an idea about weekly food costs, travel costs

Thank you
Amy

Many unemployed people in Europe would get rent allowance etc. and end up with more money. Hartz 4 in Germany is around that amount and most people would just about survive on that and rely on foodbanks etc.. I don't know what bills she's covering but that sounds like nothing considering that cost of living in Spain isn't really cheaper than Germany, especially when you look at food and other costs.
Old May 8th 2017, 2:04 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Thank you
Amy
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 8th 2017, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

What will you do for healthcare? After 90 days you will have to register as resident.

Have a read up about Autonomo ( similar to UK national insurance). Full cost is around 280 euros a month though there are discounts for certain businesses and start ups. I guess it depends on what the job is.

Brexit throws up uncertainties too.

As to living on £100 a week under your circumstances . Yes that is doable. have you got some money to fall back on for unexpected flights back to UK, dental emergency ? Maybe come out and "try" it as a tourist and decided what to do as the 90 day deadline approaches. Jobs are hard to get here as an expat even if you have good Spanish
Old May 8th 2017, 2:08 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Thank you
Amy
Will she employ you on a legal contract, that is the most important thing, without that you will either have to work as an autonomo, or pay private healthcare.
Old May 8th 2017, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies. I don't know all ins and outs yet and I am not 100% sure if I will do it, just wanted a rough idea.
I have money to fall back on a guaranteed job in the UK if it doesn't work out.
Maybe i'll try the 90 days and see how that goes and will definitely look up Autonomo! Thanks for the info Olivefarmer, you have already gave me a lot to think about!

Mikelincs, I would hope it was a legal contract. I got very excited about the thought of living abroad, i didn't even take healthcare into consideration! Thanks!
Old May 8th 2017, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Moses2013 looks like i'll be asking for a pay rise then! Thanks for the insight, I can see I need to do a lot of research!
Old May 8th 2017, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the type of thing that happens quite a bit in the UK, foreigners that bring out cheap labour from their country to help in their business, restaurant etc putting them up for free in their spare bedroom or a room above the shop, paying pin money. Except they can use the NHS generally, long-term visitors who are not retired or paying tax in Spain require health cover. Do your homework and protect yourself.
Old May 8th 2017, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I live in Benidorm and will be happy to answer any specific questions about living in the city.

We retired here about 3 years ago and love it. !!