Benidorm

Old Sep 26th 2016, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benidorm

Originally Posted by mikelincs
But, no-one on the tv prog 'Benidorm' lived on a camp site.. did they, they all seemed to either live in the hotel or some other unspecified place.
Believe Madge did for a little while.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Jamie369 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lucilastic
Jamie,I had a business here in the Benidorm area ,not at all in the pub business,for 18 years now retired.Was asked regularly by Brits. if a job was possible.Don´t even think about being illegal,this is not "soft" England.I so agree with others telling you that the TV programmes are sending out bad info.I´m ok because I´ve paid my dues into the Spanish system for all the years but especially now with Brexit what do you think is the future for a Brit.,no language or skills,perhaps limited funds?When my family first arrived,before Spain was in the EU,we had bought our business & home but a visit from the Police told us coldly"If you do not support yourselves legally we will deport you"Fortunately we did.However my advice to you would be "Stay in UK laddie"unless you have a skill that gives you a proper opening in employment.Remember back in UK this is the message people are giving to migrants wanting to live in UK.Why should you think the Spanish,or any other EU country,feels differently.
Every post on here you lot are trying to put people of moving over there!thought you expats were helpful
Old Sep 27th 2016, 11:02 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamie369
Every post on here you lot are trying to put people of moving over there!thought you expats were helpful
No, people on here are telling it how it is, not being downers just to upset people. The real fact is that in many of the restaurant jobs, particularly among Spanish owned ones, are taken by family members, many living at home so don't need to earn more than minimum wage, or even less. There are plenty of young British people who move to Spain for the summer, wark in bars and, usually, have shared accomodation to save money, but they have NO intention of staying the whole year, just having a long holiday which costs very little. People wanting to live there need bettter paid jobs, legal contracts, to access healthcare without having to have private cover, and these are just not available in the service industry in the majority of cases.
By telling people who often have rose coloured glasses on, just how it is can save a lot of worry and problems and disappointments.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be put off Jamie, by all means come over and give it a try then you will soon find that the information and advice on this site is very genuine.

As I said before there are jobs at the moment in bars but they are very low paid and temporary. The season will be all but over by end October. Those jobs will not pay enough for you to rent anywhere unless you share with other people.

Best of luck

Steve
Old Sep 27th 2016, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tebo53
I was thinking of the last load of rubbish on tv "Bargain Brits in the Sun"

Can't imagine how much they got paid to act so daft
Some people don't need any incentive to act daft on TV. "Fame" is the spur.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

lucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond repute

Jamie,we are folks who have been here & witnessed SO many who think,because they have determination,it will all work out,then go backhome & blame the system.This also is a bad time because we have no idea how Brexit will work out.I used to rent out an apartment I had bought as an investment,many different nationalities were tenants with a proper legal contract.Never had anyone who defaulted on rent or trashed the property,but I recently sold it as things are so uncertain.Just think realistically.Once Brexit is reality even more Brits.will return to UK,not because they want to,but pensioners will not be able to afford private health care & already have had pensions depleted due to the fall in sterling & low interest rates,young people who started businesses catering to the British(everything from hairdressing,TV maintenance,dentists etc.) will see their trade drop away overnight.Are you going to get a job with a German or Belgian business?The UK will suffer also,although folks don`t seem yet to recognise that.It won´t be 30,000 Bulgarians they will need to worry about but over a million British nationals returning.Can´t wait to get my free bus pass.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jamie,we are folks who have been here & witnessed SO many who think,because they have determination,it will all work out,then go backhome & blame the system.This also is a bad time because we have no idea how Brexit will work out.I used to rent out an apartment I had bought as an investment,many different nationalities were tenants with a proper legal contract.Never had anyone who defaulted on rent or trashed the property,but I recently sold it as things are so uncertain.Just think realistically.Once Brexit is reality even more Brits.will return to UK,not because they want to,but pensioners will not be able to afford private health care & already have had pensions depleted due to the fall in sterling & low interest rates,young people who started businesses catering to the British(everything from hairdressing,TV maintenance,dentists etc.) will see their trade drop away overnight.Are you going to get a job with a German or Belgian business?The UK will suffer also,although folks don`t seem yet to recognise that.It won´t be 30,000 Bulgarians they will need to worry about but over a million British nationals returning.Can´t wait to get my free bus pass.
Good post, BUT, IMO I think many who may consider returning will find they will be unable to enter the UK housing market, either as buyers or renters. Things have changed so much and the demand for housing is very high over there. So unless they have substantial savings or a good income, the sale of a Spanish property won't provide much in terms of resources to live to the same standard or in the same type of property.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 1:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Every post on here you lot are trying to put people of moving over there. I thought you expats were helpful
As others have said, just because it wasn't the advice you were expecting, doesn't mean that it isn't actually helpful.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

lucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond repute

Biffta,I think we oldies know how expensive it is back in UK which is why so many are fearful.However some of us haven´t yet had a hip replacement.If that has to be done under private health,I reckon you may find it quite hard to be re-insured with that provider.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Good post, BUT, IMO I think many who may consider returning will find they will be unable to enter the UK housing market, either as buyers or renters. Things have changed so much and the demand for housing is very high over there. So unless they have substantial savings or a good income, the sale of a Spanish property won't provide much in terms of resources to live to the same standard or in the same type of property.
We'll go back and demand hotel accommodation like other nationalities do
Old Sep 27th 2016, 2:36 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
and why would you think that people will be forced to return to the UK, people were moving to Spain before the UK joined the EU, or do you believe all the doom sayers?
Old Sep 27th 2016, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

We were a family who came to Spain before they joined the EU.At that time if you bought a business it was somewhat easier if you purchased from an existing Spanish operation which we did.However the renewal of the licence,which had to be done,i think,annually was something like 5 mil,(not in euros)For us it was in the region of 300.As a foreigner outside the conditions of the EU,the authorities dictated their own price.I would prefer to have had the protection that is now afforded to us at present as a member of the EU club.We are not all doomsayers but some of us have experienced both sides of the coin which perhaps you have not.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikelincs
and why would you think that people will be forced to return to the UK, people were moving to Spain before the UK joined the EU, or do you believe all the doom sayers?
I don't believe I did infer that they would be "forced"! Some, not all, will be unaware of the property situation in the U.K. and may think perhaps it be an simple choice, just to go back however reluctantly.
I repeat, some, not all or the majority.
I was just trying to point out that for these people, they may find themselves in the unfortunate situation of wanting desperately, for various reasons, to return to the U.K. but find it financially impossible.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Biffta, they will find it financially impossible to live here perhaps.We do have siblings back in UK & some of us even read the English newspapers on-line so we aren´t completely out of touch.Already those who had the winter fuel payment have lost it.Next is a freeze on the British pension updates together with the fall in sterling & coupled with the thought of private health care,so off to have a glass of vino,which of course I shall NOT be able to afford(due to ridiculous price)if I am back in Exeter where I can have the WFP reinstalled.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 2:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Biffta, they will find it financially impossible to live here perhaps. .....
Given the price and availability of housing in the UK, they may also find it "impossible" to return to the UK, and fleeing in panic back to the UK might be a huge mistake.

In other words, a lot of people will face some very difficult questions, but it is possible that footing the bill for increased healthcare/ health insurance might be cheaper than the cost of relocation and increased housing costs back in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.