British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Below 3 kw power ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/below-3-kw-power-606913/)

jdr May 3rd 2009 5:20 pm

Below 3 kw power ?

Read HERE.

Beachcomber May 3rd 2009 5:36 pm

Re: Below 3 kw power ?

That's a laugh. The minimum power you can contract for is 3,3 which is virtually useless.

Fred James May 3rd 2009 9:08 pm

No, you can apply for the Tarifa Social which is less than 3kw.

It may be useless but the tariff does exist.

There are also two other tariffs below 3kw.

http://www.endesaonline.es/ES/Hogare...ifas/index.asp

scampicat May 3rd 2009 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Beachcomber (Post 7537797)
That's a laugh. The minimum power you can contract for is 3,3 which is virtually useless.

We have 3.3. Some friends of ours have 2.2.

We manage OK with 3.3 - just don't put both fan heaters on at the same time! Or don't use the oil-filled radiator at the same time as the kettle and washing machine.

We very rarely use electric heating. We don't have a microwave, dishwasher or tumble drier and and our hot water is gas.

pete_l May 4th 2009 8:06 am

Au contraire.
I have a 15Amp (3kW) breaker and it's fine. So long as I don't try running the
kettle AND the immersion heater, OR the iron OR the fan heater at the same
time.
It keeps the lights on, the fridge cold, the telly running - when it doesn't explode :eek:
and the computer going.
(Plus, the supply voltage dips significantly when I pull much current, so I doubt
that the infrastructure would support people consuming mich more than
3kW each around here - better some for all than none for some.)

Since I don't have a power shower, electric cooker, air-con or arc-welder it's
good enough for me :thumbsup:

Rotor May 5th 2009 2:01 pm

Not so, I have a cortijo with the 3.3kw and it never trips, we heat water with a 1 kw /100ltr heater , enegry saving bulbs through out the hose , washing machine around 1 kw , we cook with gas and heat the house with a wood burner , fridge freezer / tv etc draw minimal ammounts.
Rgds

Rotor

Beachcomber May 5th 2009 3:50 pm

...but, do you have an ICP switch fitted? This is the switch that trips when you use more than the power you are contracted for. It is installed by Sevillana (or equivalent) and sealed so that you can't bypass it (in theory at least).

I have one fitted in only one of my three properties.

snikpoh May 5th 2009 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Beachcomber (Post 7543186)
...but, do you have an ICP switch fitted? This is the switch that trips when you use more than the power you are contracted for. It is installed by Sevillana (or equivalent) and sealed so that you can't bypass it (in theory at least).

I have one fitted in only one of my three properties.

Please be aware that it is a contractual obligation to have an ICP fitted. If Iberdrola (or equivalent) call and find it missing, be prepared to pay a BIG fine.

moblies May 7th 2009 11:18 am

During a winter break we had about 3 x 2kw heaters on to warm the rooms up at night and it kept tripping the fuse although not everytime, I wondered if it was the circuit breakers where not man enough or could it be Iberdrola triping my fuse box because we were using more than the contracted 3+kw ?

House only 3 years old.

chrismortley May 7th 2009 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by moblies (Post 7549082)
During a winter break we had about 3 x 2kw heaters on to warm the rooms up at night and it kept tripping the fuse although not everytime, I wondered if it was the circuit breakers where not man enough or could it be Iberdrola triping my fuse box because we were using more than the contracted 3+kw ?

House only 3 years old.

I wouldn't have thought the cause is anything that sinister,
The heaters are probable thermostatically controlled so the breaker only trips
when all 3 heaters plus what ever else are drawing power.
I'm sure Big Brother UK will be one of the first places to remotely trip domestic electrical supplies for excess demand when it becomes practical

jdr May 7th 2009 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by chrismortley (Post 7549285)
I wouldn't have thought the cause is anything that sinister,
The heaters are probable thermostatically controlled so the breaker only trips
when all 3 heaters plus what ever else are drawing power.
I'm sure Big Brother UK will be one of the first places to remotely trip domestic electrical supplies for excess demand when it becomes practical

Probably like chris said, they would rather let you use it then fine you for going over limit. ;-))

chrismortley May 7th 2009 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 7549365)
Probably like chris said, they would rather let you use it then fine you for going over limit. ;-))

Blimey can you believe it , I've made one detrimental remark about the government & Jacqui Smith has added me to her UK least most wanted list
Anyone got that US DJ'S lawers phone number?

jdr May 7th 2009 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by chrismortley (Post 7549487)
Blimey can you believe it , I've made one detrimental remark about the government & Jacqui Smith has added me to her UK least most wanted list
Anyone got that US DJ'S lawers phone number?

It`s amazing who reads this site. ;-))

chrismortley May 7th 2009 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 7549622)
It`s amazing who reads this site. ;-))

Do you think her OH has this site marked as a favorite along with his other chosen ones ?
At least this one is not PAYG

poshnbucks May 7th 2009 2:31 pm

Hey don't hold me back Gordon, Ill smash em up, let me at those ex-pats I'm well hard me :eek::eek::eek:

http://bestsmileys.com/hitting/18.gif