Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

beauty therapy qualifications in spain

beauty therapy qualifications in spain

Old Mar 27th 2010, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

nicola15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default beauty therapy qualifications in spain

me and my family are planning on moving to spain i am a 25 year old beautician and nail tech,, i have been qualified 10 years and have lots and lots of salon experience,, my qualifications are city & guilds NVQs would this enable me to work as a beautician in spain ?? thanks guys
Old Mar 28th 2010, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: beauty therapy qualifications in spain

I used to visit a lady for massages, she gained her quals in UK...I dont think your quals will mean anything in the Spanish system but if you are setting up on your own or working in a Brit salon you should be fine...the biggest problem at the moment is actually getting work !!!

Originally Posted by nicola15
me and my family are planning on moving to spain i am a 25 year old beautician and nail tech,, i have been qualified 10 years and have lots and lots of salon experience,, my qualifications are city & guilds NVQs would this enable me to work as a beautician in spain ?? thanks guys
Old Mar 28th 2010, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi nicola, I can't really help, but I had a quick look at job ads for beauticians and most seem to ask for experience rather than qualifications, so it could be that there's no legal requirement for them.

Good luck.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

Though you UK qualifications "should" be good for the whole EU....here there is the reality of 1000's of would be beauticians who are holding the Spanish paper equivalent. Nearly all of the jobs advertised here go with the unwritten expectation that you'll be bringing your own clients with you.
But don't worry about these details now. Just really push yourselves with the Spanish classes and then get yourselves over here, do some first hand research,....and all will be revealed!
Old Mar 28th 2010, 9:43 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola15
How do you qualify as a beautician at 15?
Old Mar 28th 2010, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

well spotted !!

Originally Posted by Fred James
How do you qualify as a beautician at 15?
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:22 am
Just Joined

well spotted ! did not know i had to be so precise on these threads with age e.t.c , i am 26 next week and i qualified for level 1 when i was 16 so there for i i have been able to do treatments SORRY for the best part of ten years , may be i should of put 9 & half years . i then went on to do my level 2 and level 3 then other quals i.e diplomas . once again SORRY for the inconveniene i must of caused , oh while we are been so precise i have exactly been in and around salons since i was 14 years old do work experiance . many thanks guys i will know for the future not to be a little bit out with my info i post
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:53 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

OK Nicola, now I understand.

You started qualifying at 15 but it took longer to be fully qualified.

I was beginning to think that they were actually teaching something useful in school these days!

How long did it take to get to the end of the process - presumably with some sort of recognised diploma?
Old Mar 29th 2010, 10:32 am
Just Joined

hi fred , as i said before i got my level 1 at 16 so i could of left college then and still of been able to work as a beautician , so technically i was qualified then but i went on to do my level 2&3 and other quals my diploma is in Indian head massage , in all my quals are the equivalent of A levels
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:55 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

A simple way to work out what to do about Qualifications is imagine you are a beauty business owner in the UK and a Spaniard comes in for a job.
They show you a folder of papers that you can`t even read, would you employ them or would you ask them to get them legally translated so you knew the situation on their claims.
Would you trust the name of your business to them ?

Here in Spain, if you did get work suppose something went wrong while working on a client and they denounced you as incompetent, how would you prove to the Spanish court that you were qualified to do the work ?
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

UKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really nice

Hi Nicola15,

It's Sally here from the British Embassy in Madrid. There's some information on our website which might be useful for you. You might find the links to other departments helpful in finding what you're looking for:

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...ualifications1

Good luck with it all!

Sally
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sally,
thats great thank you very much.
Nicola x