Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BBC2 The Great Spanish Crash

BBC2 The Great Spanish Crash

Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:06 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC2 The Great Spanish Crash

Originally Posted by agoreira
Agree, Spain should be benefitting from the tourists that won't be going to Egypt, North Africa, Israel etc, but it seems they aren't. TBH, I don't find Spain el cheapo, I think those days are long gone.
"cheap" is long gone, yes, thanks to the Euro and the resulting austerity tactics.

But over here at least, the tourism business is holding up pretty well. The prevailing wisdom seems to be that the middle east isn't all that attractive at the moment (regardless of how cheap it might be), and we're only 2.5 hours flight from most of Europe, yet still "affordable", especially for the Germans, Brits and Scandinavians.

If they would just do something about Magalluf...
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Knock, knock, knock - it never stops does it? His life back in Wales must be so depressing if he has to spend a good deal of his time coming here to knock.
As for costs, I still find Spain exceptionally cheap - I visited Valencia, Madrid and various parts of the Basque country this year. The Mdd was a little more expensive in the Basque lands, but you couldn't fault the cost of wine - some places offered a free pinxcho on a Thursday night with a good wine (that would cost nearly £5 or £6 in London) for just 2 euros. Cheaper still in Valencia or Madrid (with free tapa). Coffees still great value at just over a pound..
And in the business world some great bargains around, if you know where to look. Been using Myntmarket for some translations into Spanish by natives (and some logo work), it's almost embarrassing how low the cost is.
I agree, Spain is still very cheap compared to the UK. Whenever I go back to the UK and especally London I get a shock at how expensive everything is, especially on the trains or just buying a sandwich and coffee. It costs £10 for a coffee, orange juice and a breakfast sandwich from one of the chains like Pret. I can get the same for 3 euros in most cafeterias in Spain

And prices have come down a lot all over Spain in the past 5 years. Where in the UK can you rent a 2 bed flat with a terrace, gardens and a pool for 400 euros per month?

The flat I rent would cost twice as much to rent anywhere in the UK, and about 5 times as much in London

Last edited by cricketman; Dec 20th 2012 at 9:26 am.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:32 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Knock, knock, knock - it never stops does it? His life back in Wales must be so depressing if he has to spend a good deal of his time coming here to knock.
As for costs, I still find Spain exceptionally cheap - I visited Valencia, Madrid and various parts of the Basque country this year. The Mdd was a little more expensive in the Basque lands, but you couldn't fault the cost of wine - some places offered a free pinxcho on a Thursday night with a good wine (that would cost nearly £5 or £6 in London) for just 2 euros. Cheaper still in Valencia or Madrid (with free tapa). Coffees still great value at just over a pound..
And in the business world some great bargains around, if you know where to look. Been using Myntmarket for some translations into Spanish by natives (and some logo work), it's almost embarrassing how low the cost is.
Yadda yadda...you have spent a couple of weekends there. Living in Spain isn't just about wine, coffee and tapas

We spend more in the UK. more things to spend it on. Theatre and concerts aren't cheap but worth it. Why is this turning into a cost of living thread
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Yadda yadda...you have spent a couple of weekends there. Living in Spain isn't just about wine, coffee and tapas

We spend more in the UK. more things to spend it on. Theatre and concerts aren't cheap but worth it. Why is this turning into a cost of living thrad anyway
There are many theatres and concerts in Spain - and they are way cheaper than in the UK. You just chose not to go to them

30 euros to go and watch Paco de Lucia or Erica Badu is a bargain. We saw some good comedy shows in Barcelona for 30 euros even if they were in Catalan

Its opera season in Oviedo at the moment, you can get a good seat for 50 euros

And that's not mentioning all the free concerts I've been to in Spain where I've seen people like Bébe, Macaco, Tomatito, Manu Chao etc etc

Another thing I've learnt recently. 1 hour of soft play for children in Spain = 2 euros, in the UK it is £5

I cant think of anything that is more expensive in Spain, well maybe books, second hand cars, mobile phones and the internet. Even the TV I bought recently was 20% cheaper in Spain than the UK

Last edited by cricketman; Dec 20th 2012 at 9:39 am.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:40 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

We spend more in the UK. more things to spend it on. Theatre and concerts aren't cheap but worth it. Why is this turning into a cost of living thread
As you fully know I've lived and worked in Madrid. Why keep trying to deny the truth?
As for "turning into a cost of living thread" I think you'll find your tag team partner Aggy brought up the subject
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cricketman;10443341]I agree, Spain is still very cheap compared to the UK. Whenever I go back to the UK and especally London I get a shock at how expensive everything is, especially on the trains or just buying a sandwich and coffee. It costs £10 for a coffee, orange juice and a breakfast sandwich from one of the chains like Pret. I can get the same for 3 euros in most cafeterias in Spain

Everywhere has positives and negatives Spain/Uk is no different some things are cheaper or dearer in one than another. Only point I would make is that it is a little unfair to compare the price for food on UK rail with that of a Spanish Cafe, any comparisons if they need to be made either way should be like for like. For me though there is little point in making them in the first place. If you are happy living where you do great if not then do something about it.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=bobd22;10443389]
Originally Posted by cricketman
I agree, Spain is still very cheap compared to the UK. Whenever I go back to the UK and especally London I get a shock at how expensive everything is, especially on the trains or just buying a sandwich and coffee. It costs £10 for a coffee, orange juice and a breakfast sandwich from one of the chains like Pret. I can get the same for 3 euros in most cafeterias in Spain

Everywhere has positives and negatives Spain/Uk is no different some things are cheaper or dearer in one than another. Only point I would make is that it is a little unfair to compare the price for food on UK rail with that of a Spanish Cafe, any comparisons if they need to be made either way should be like for like. For me though there is little point in making them in the first place. If you are happy living where you do great if not then do something about it.
That wasn't the point I was making. I meant I notice the price differences the most when buying train tickets or when eating at a cafe.

But you are right. It really doesnt matter how much things costs between two countries. That has very little effect on your happiness

I live in Spain because I love it depite all of its faults. I can't imagine how I could have the same high quality of life in the UK as I do here. But that probably depends on somebodies lifestyle, it won't be the same for everyone
Old Dec 20th 2012, 10:43 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Its opera season in Oviedo at the moment, you can get a good seat for 50 euros

Yes it's a very cultural city. We have been to 2 operas there. Saw Kiri Te Kanawa there a few years ago, also Placido Domingo. They are heavily sponsored by banks etc so they are cheaper. We also used to go to the Jaén music festival and Nerja caves season. Because we are close to london we can go more regularly.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I thought we were discussing how cheap/expensive Spain is for tourists, not for residents?

I've been away for a few short breaks in Spain this year and have paid per night prices for good quality city centre accommodation ranging from €31.50 in Granada to 85€ in Madrid (somewhere inbetween for Nerja, Bilbao and Sevilla). Meals and drinks in restaurants and cafes are also very good value.

When I go to the UK, I sometimes like to stay in Manchester city centre for a couple of nights as well as spending time staying with family. I was looking at prices last week for next June, and I can't find anywhere I would be happy to stay for less than £120 per night. It's ridiculous.

The cost of train and bus fares for getting around is also much higher in the UK than it is here. A lot of tourists who come to Spain won't want to hire cars so they must find that better value too.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 5:13 pm
Banned

Well actually I didn't think we were discussing the cost of living The thread is...The Great Spanish crash

Has anyone seen all the demos this week, the pensioners, health service workers etc. protesting re. austerity cuts.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 5:18 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Great news for all in Spain - the recovery is about to start!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...nufacture.html

As labor costs fall and Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy’s legislation makes it easier for companies to cut wages and reorganize staff, carmakers including Ford Motor Co. (F), Renault SA (RNO) and Peugeot are boosting production in Spain. Rajoy says the increase in investment and rising exports will translate into jobs as he battles an unemployment rate of 26 percent, the highest in Europe.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Well actually I didn't think we were discussing the cost of living The thread is...The Great Spanish crash

Has anyone seen all the demos this week, the pensioners, health service workers etc. protesting re. austerity cuts.
So you and Agoreira can start discussing the effects of the Spanish crash (and recessions elsewhere) on Spanish tourism, and claiming it isn't a comparatively cheap destination, but nobody else is allowed to comment?
Old Dec 20th 2012, 5:37 pm
Banned

The cost of apples and pears, tomatoes etc. is a pissing contest and not relevant, tourism is it's important to the spanish economy!
Old Dec 20th 2012, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

The cost of apples and pears, tomatoes etc. is a pissing contest and not relevant, tourism is it's important to the spanish economy!
Who mentioned anything about the cost of fruit and vegetables? Is the cost of hotels, meals, drinks, entertainment and transport not relevant to tourism? I would have thought they represent most of tourists' expenditure, whatever country they are visiting.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 6:15 pm
Banned

Not suprised that golf tourism is down. Received this today.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your support in 2012, it is greatly appreciated. I thought you may be interested in joining me at the Jack Nicklaus designed Montecastillo resort in Spain in March next year.

I have arranged a very special all inclusive deal for you, which includes flights, golf, coaching, transfers, prizes and accomodation for just £999 per person! The hotel, course and facilities are second to none

Could do Florida , South Africa for that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.