Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BBC2 The Great Spanish Crash

BBC2 The Great Spanish Crash

Old Dec 19th 2012, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC2 The Great Spanish Crash

Originally Posted by jackytoo
(

Just made me think. Has anyone ever watched any of the programme Little England, about Brits living in the Dordogne, France? They seem a much better class of people than the average Brit you meet in Spain
I didn't actually think so, but I guess it all depends on what circle you mix with.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 7:03 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
I didn't actually think so, but I guess it all depends on what circle you mix with.
she's probably saying that because she has never lived there

the other man's grass is always greener

Old Dec 19th 2012, 7:06 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

:
Just made me think.
:
Well thats a first

:

Has anyone ever watched any of the programme Little England, about Brits living in the Dordogne, France? They seem a much better class of people than the average Brit you meet in Spain
more like the average expat who has returned to the UK and can't stop knocking Spain, in this instance also taking a poke at those on BES .
is it out of jealousy ??

`
Old Dec 19th 2012, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

(

They seem a much better class of people than the average Brit you meet in Spain
Do people who have any class themselves ever refer to others in that way? I think not.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 7:27 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Well thats a first

more like the average expat who has returned to the UK and can't stop knocking Spain, in this instance also taking a poke at those on BES .
is it out of jealousy ??

`
Ohh the poisened dwarf...hit a sore point did I. Yes I am real jealous of all those people stuck out there...or are they all selling to move up
Old Dec 19th 2012, 7:31 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Do people who have any class themselves ever refer to others in that way? I think not.
You think wrong
Say what you like I don't give a toss. Just watch one of the living in Spain programmes and compare the people. Not to say there aren't any nice Brits in Spain but the 2 progs are very noticeable.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 8:13 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

You think wrong
Say what you like I don't give a toss. Just watch one of the living in Spain programmes and compare the people. Not to say there aren't any nice Brits in Spain but the 2 progs are very noticeable.
On the other hand I've heard it said that the Brits in France are quite often a snooty and stuck-up bunch and so fit in better there.

Personally I think it's wrong to try generalising, but rather just take everyone as you find them.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

You think wrong
"A better class of people"? A phrase used only by those of a Hyacinth Bucket mentality.

And sticking out tongues is hardly appropriate for anyone over six years old.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by agoreira
Nothing much they can do, what is aired on UK TV is nothing to do with them. They are not so much protesting about the veracity of the content, simply that it was biased, concentrated on the economic weaknesses rather than on the strengths.

They are worried about the falling number of Brit visitors, as they are the biggest spenders. I doubt the average Brit visitor cares a jot about closed airports, no medicines etc, they just want to get bladdered and lay in the sun. They probably never saw the programme anyway, BBC2 forget it, they'd have been watching soaps.They better get used to the idea everywhere is suffering hardships, the number of tourists is bound to drop off.
Do you really believe the number of tourists is bound to drop off? The Great British Public (and other nationalities too) are very happy to go on holiday to all kinds of countries where the population live in far greater poverty than anyone in Spain does. The only thing that ever puts them off is any threat to their personal safety, eg after a terrorist attack - and even then you will always get some idiot saying "well, there are bound to be some bargain holidays around".
Old Dec 19th 2012, 9:36 pm
Banned

Well isn't that what he was saying, a programme like that won't put the Brits off holidaying

I doubt the average Brit visitor cares a jot about closed airports, no medicines etc, they just want to get bladdered and lay in the sun

There are less and less safeplaces for Brits to go now. They could go to Italy but it's not el cheapo like Spain. Spain should be picking up the slack.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 8:05 am

Well isn't that what he was saying, a programme like that won't put the Brits off holidaying

I doubt the average Brit visitor cares a jot about closed airports, no medicines etc, they just want to get bladdered and lay in the sun

There are less and less safeplaces for Brits to go now. They could go to Italy but it's not el cheapo like Spain. Spain should be picking up the slack.

thats a bit positive for you Jacky,

changing your mind about Spain
Old Dec 20th 2012, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

My point about less tourists from UK is that although UK is nowhere near as sick as Spain is, it has problems, lots of peoples have lost jobs, money is tight for a lot of people, so obviously less people taking holidays. BMIbaby has gone, Ryanair are cutting flights, less people are traveling, or those that do are staying for shorter periods and spending less. I know it would cost us a lot more to fly now than say 2 years ago, and Spain's answer to less visitors is to put the prices up! This year we have had less time in Spain than normal, but we have had 5 short breaks in UK, Cotswolds, Snowdonia etc. There are deals galore out there, typical one for us has been 4* hotel, normally £140 a night, two nights with breakfast £99. Another, same deal £120. It's hard to say no.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

You think wrong
It's a bit lower class to even watch programmes like that isnt in? Circus for the masses?

Personally if I want entertaining I get the butler and valet to put on a show
Old Dec 20th 2012, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Agree, Spain should be benefitting from the tourists that won't be going to Egypt, North Africa, Israel etc, but it seems they aren't. TBH, I don't find Spain el cheapo, I think those days are long gone.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 8:51 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Agree, Spain should be benefitting from the tourists that won't be going to Egypt, North Africa, Israel etc, but it seems they aren't. TBH, I don't find Spain el cheapo, I think those days are long gone.
Knock, knock, knock - it never stops does it? His life back in Wales must be so depressing if he has to spend a good deal of his time coming here to knock.
As for costs, I still find Spain exceptionally cheap - I visited Valencia, Madrid and various parts of the Basque country this year. The Mdd was a little more expensive in the Basque lands, but you couldn't fault the cost of wine - some places offered a free pinxcho on a Thursday night with a good wine (that would cost nearly £5 or £6 in London) for just 2 euros. Cheaper still in Valencia or Madrid (with free tapa). Coffees still great value at just over a pound..
And in the business world some great bargains around, if you know where to look. Been using Myntmarket for some translations into Spanish by natives (and some logo work), it's almost embarrassing how low the cost is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.