Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BBC Worldwide brings British TV to European fans with the BBC iPlayer app for iPad

BBC Worldwide brings British TV to European fans with the BBC iPlayer app for iPad

Old Jul 28th 2011, 11:23 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default BBC Worldwide brings British TV to European fans with the BBC iPlayer app for iPad

Breaking my own rule here by multi-posting this in a couple of places, but thought that some of you may be interested in this news.

http://britishexpats.com/news/latest/iplayer/
Old Jul 28th 2011, 2:23 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC Worldwide brings British TV to European fans with the BBC iPlayer app for iPa

Originally Posted by Sue
Breaking my own rule here by multi-posting this in a couple of places, but thought that some of you may be interested in this news.

http://britishexpats.com/news/latest/iplayer/
I'll have to issue a warning ....

I could never understand why a world service broadcasting company would stop people from using iPlayer
Old Jul 28th 2011, 2:52 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC Worldwide brings British TV to European fans with the BBC iPlayer app for iPa

This version of the Iplayer is owned and operated by BBC WOrldwide.
It is a subscription service.
It will have adverts before the programme.
It is a "catch up" and "archive" service, only, with no live streaming.
And some programmes may still not appear on there until after they have been shown by broadcasters in that countyr (ie previous contractual arrangements).
Old Jul 28th 2011, 3:59 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I hope the pilot goes well and they then offer the service over here (US).
Old Jul 28th 2011, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Why they couldn´t do the same with iplayer I don´t know.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 4:26 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Personally I hope the pilot goes well and they then offer the service over here (US).
The initial press releases said that the US would be getting it before everyone else, and that would be the pilot, but the more recent releases say that here have been "contractual issues" that conflict with broadcast agreements with US broadcaster, and so it is being delayed.

And I dare say it will be no better than BBC America.

Interesting to see that it will also have some ITV and C4 content also...

And all said when ITV announced their IPlayer was now available on Freesat Humax boxes...and that they are probably going to charge for using parts their service....but it will stillbe UK based and geoblocked.

Last edited by The Guy; Jul 28th 2011 at 4:31 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Why pay?

Get a proxy server or expatshield and watch ipplayer to your heart's content.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 4:41 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
Why pay?

Get a proxy server or expatshield and watch ipplayer to your heart's content.
I don't know, that doesn't feel right to me. Feels dishonest ... but maybe that's just me. Horses for courses.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

My view's simple. I am a UK resident, a UK taxpayer and I pay a licence fee which pays the BBC. i also happen to spend 3 months a year in Spain

I'll watch whatever I want, wherever I want if i've paid for it. End of.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 5:14 pm

In the US you may be better getting BBC America...it wil be showing similar stuff anyway, in the same way that in Europe it will be showing the same programmes as BBC Entertainment!

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
My view's simple. I am a UK resident, a UK taxpayer and I pay a licence fee which pays the BBC. i also happen to spend 3 months a year in Spain

I'll watch whatever I want, wherever I want if i've paid for it. End of.
Remember that the licence fee is a tax on reception equipment.
You must pay it if you have any equipment capable of receiving TV signals. Even if you have a VCR and no TV to watch the VCR on, you must still pay the licence fee as the VCR has a TV tuner inside it.

Paying the licence fee does not grant you right to watch BBC TV, it grants you the right to use TV equipment in the UK.

OK most of it is used to fund BBC activities...but the licence fee does not give the right to watch BBC TV...its to own TV reception equipment.

And like most other UK broadcasters they only pay for the broadcast rights for the UK. They are under no obligation to provide channels to other EU countries (no Eu law says they have to - apart from BBC World News that provides news and information to expats as per EU Inforamtion rules, and why most countries have at least one news channel available for free on satellite for Europe), and they dont own the rights to actually broadcast to other countries, as many programmes are made by third party programme makers, who are free to distribute their programmes to other EU broadcasters.

In fact most BBC content is sold to BBC Worldwide, who use it on the UK TV channels, sell to other broadcasters, or on BBC Entertainment channels, the latter being a subscription service for expats.

In fact your licence fee would probably have to triple at least if it were to fund the BBC buying the rights to allow you to watch BBC channels outside the UK. IN the same way that Skys subscription rates would have to increase if it were to spend a few extra billion on buying "european rights" for "Sky Sports Europe".

Hence, to try an limit the channels reception to satisfy the rights holders / programme maers / governing bodies, why Iplayer is geoblocked, and why they transmit of satellite signals that are weak to receive in areas of Europe, (ok this can be over come by getting a "big dish"), or encrypted and only opened by a viewing card registered at a UK address.

So just beacuase you "pay the UK licence fee", this does not give you the right to watch BBC channel wherever you are. Spain has no licence fee, and neither do many other countries in Europe anyway.

The often quoted EU Directive "Television Without Frontiers" does not mean what many peopel think. Firstly TVwF was never law in ANY country, more like a "nice to have of you want it" - like joining the Euro! It does not mean you can watch any EU countries TV in and EU country - which many (including that expats association that quote this constanly when talking about TV!) thnk it means. It and its sucessor AVMS is all about standardising rules about TV broadcasting, like how many minutes advertising there can be each hour, what can and cannot be show during kids TV programmes, product placement - the latter (PP) is now on UK TV as that part of AVMS has been implimented into UK law. There is nothing in EU law that states you must be allowed to watch UK TV in Spain.

Although at the moment there is this case of Karen Murphy vs the FA, about her use of viewing cards from Greece instread of Sky for chaeap UK football. But that could, and probably will backfire. The UK case was refered to the ECJ for a ruling. Thts is due soon, then it goes back tot the UK courts who will rule, thene the TV comapnies and right holders will appeal, then the next round of football rights will be done anyway. And it will be worse for the consumer whichever way it goes. It could mean you will have to pay subscription to one company for movies, another for football, another for cricket, another for rugby...making it more expensive for the consumer. Or you end up with one or two HUGE satcos for the whole of Europe....Burlesconi and Murdoch controlling all of Europes PAY TV services. CAnt really see that...but it could end up that way...Or the FA and other rights holders just say they will not sell the rights to other EU broadcasters...just to UK broadcasters only who pay more for the programmes than other broadcasters...

Last edited by The Guy; Jul 28th 2011 at 6:01 pm.