British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   BBC report on Granada - only 20 years behind the times (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/bbc-report-granada-only-20-years-behind-times-677839/)

steviedeluxe Jul 22nd 2010 6:09 pm

BBC report on Granada - only 20 years behind the times

Good old Aunty - it's just decided to report on the tea-shops and Middle-East shops appearing in Granada - to my knowledge they've been there since at least the early 90s

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10654650

Sitting in Abdul Hedi Benattia's tea shop you forget for a moment where you are.

The sound of sweet mint tea being poured into tiny glasses, the murmur of Arabic in the background, and piles of almond cornes de gazelle, served to customers sitting on low sofas, all suggest Morocco or Tunisia.
Heh, if we're not careful the Beeb may "discover" a similar area in Madrid's Huertas, or in Gracia in Barcelona! Never mind the Edgware Road in London...

cricketman Jul 23rd 2010 7:01 am

Re: BBC report on Granada - only 20 years behind the times

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 8721131)
Good old Aunty - it's just decided to report on the tea-shops and Middle-East shops appearing in Granada - to my knowledge they've been there since at least the early 90s

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10654650

Heh, if we're not careful the Beeb may "discover" a similar area in Madrid's Huertas, or in Gracia in Barcelona! Never mind the Edgware Road in London...

I find the English press are obsessed with describing parts of Andalucia as Muslim. They go on and on about it when talking about Andalucia, Granada or Cordoba. Yes of course there are influences in terms of the cathedrals and a few other old buildings, but they are very much Andalucian and therefore Spanish through and through.

pwwm Jul 23rd 2010 3:56 pm

I have also heard of Spain being described as a third world country, that makes me quite angry:confused:

jackytoo Jul 23rd 2010 4:01 pm

The andalucian tourist authority have used the muslim theme often, perhaps it's their fault!

I have heard Spain described as a Banana republic too, didn't make me angry, at times I agree:lol:

rachelk Jul 23rd 2010 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 8722246)
they are very much Andalucian and therefore Spanish through and through.

Need time to digest that one.

DebsyW Jul 24th 2010 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by pwwm (Post 8723308)
I have also heard of Spain being described as a third world country, that makes me quite angry:confused:

It certainly isn`t now!! It`s been dragged into the 21st century. :)

When I used to visit in 60`s and early 70`s - it was very behind the times though. Hole in the floor to wee in, or a board with a hole in it to sit on.

Cobbled streets, not good roads, rail service took FOREVER.

No tomato ketchup!! *sigh*

I went backpacking in India in the early 1990`s - I felt at home cos it reminded me so much of Spain! :thumbsup:

onlineamiga Jul 27th 2010 10:21 am

One of my favourite parts of granada is the teterias (however you spell them!) Really dark when you go in there, then its sooo chilled, drinking a mint tea and a cake thingy. brilliant :)

manamama Jul 27th 2010 1:17 pm

Reports like this make me think that the media really thinks the average Brit is a bit thick.

lunacrout Jul 28th 2010 6:03 am

Originally Posted by pwwm (Post 8723308)

The librarian in our village - Spanish born & bred - is always saying that!

JLFS Jul 28th 2010 7:25 am

Originally Posted by lunacrout (Post 8733765)
The librarian in our village - Spanish born & bred - is always saying that!

A lot of Spanish say it.

agoreira Jul 28th 2010 7:40 am

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 8733916)
A lot of Spanish say it.

Yes, quite common to read in forums "un país tercermundista", "país bananero" plus "somos el culo de europa". If you want some of their choice phrases for us, read their F1 forums, they hate us!:D

lunacrout Jul 28th 2010 8:02 am

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 8721131)

I've just had time now to actually read the article and, to be fair, it does say that they started moving into the area in the 80s, so I don't really see what the problem is :confused:

Dick Dasterdly Jul 28th 2010 9:31 am

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 8722246)
I find the English press are obsessed with describing parts of Andalucia as Muslim. They go on and on about it when talking about Andalucia, Granada or Cordoba. Yes of course there are influences in terms of the cathedrals and a few other old buildings, but they are very much Andalucian and therefore Spanish through and through.

Not sure what you mean by that.:confused:
If Andalucian means typical Spanish then what are the other provinces with their different languages,cultures and traditions?
The present day Spain could well be described as several countries within one border.
With regard to the Muslims/Moors,...they left behind more than just a few buildings.
After 7 or 8 centuries occupation, its not surprising that they also had quite an influence on Spanish ppl.and culture, some of which can still be seen today.
Indeed they didn't all leave Andalucia, as a minimum of two families were made to stay on permanently in every single village to educate the returning population in regard to the everyday running of their houses,land and irrigation etc.

missile Jul 28th 2010 10:29 am

Originally Posted by DebsyW (Post 8725651)
When I used to visit in 60`s and early 70`s - it was very behind the times though. Hole in the floor to wee in, or a board with a hole in it to sit on.:

Just like Paris in 2010 :rofl:

agoreira Jul 28th 2010 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 8734189)
Not sure what you mean by that.:confused:

No, nor me. I think if anyone is obsessed with Andalucia being "muslim" it´s the Spanish themselves. Especially the tourist board, there are so many references to Moorish Spain. Looking at an Andalucian tourist site, it features four photos on it's home page, Torre de Oro in Sevilla, a beach in Málaga, the mezquita in Córdoba, and the Alhambra in Granada. Not that I blame them, they have a rich heritage, some fabulous Moorish buildings, quite right that they should be bragging about them. As someone has already pointed out, the article says that the shops have been there since the eighties, not sure what your point is.