British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   BBC News and 'Red Buttons' Moving to UK Beam (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/bbc-news-red-buttons-moving-uk-beam-730174/)

derek500 Aug 27th 2011 8:00 am

BBC News and 'Red Buttons' Moving to UK Beam

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcintern...sat_astra.html

The Guy Aug 27th 2011 11:12 am

Re: BBC News and 'Red Buttons' Moving to UK Beam

Yes. BBC News, Alba and Parliament will be moving to Astra 2d - meaning reception of these channels that are currently available on smaller dishes may /will be affected. Even on the big dishes, BBC News may not be available 24/7 as it will be moving to the "weaker" horizontal frequency, so reception of BBC News will be similar to BBC2 England.

However, the Red button streams will initially NOT be moving to the UK beam. They will be staying on the same satellite they are currently on.

but, they will be cut from 7 to 5 streams option, and will move to the "old" bbc news frequency 11954, and so still available on smaller dishes.

However, the change does mean that the trick of going to BBC News pressing red and going 3001 to watch the sports streams may no longer be available to users of Sky boxes and small dishes.

Yet the streams should still be available on "free to air" recievers, as these can go directly to the stream and do not need the BBC News / Red button application to function.

All part of the BBC cost cutting process...

Domino Aug 27th 2011 11:42 am

Originally Posted by The Guy (Post 9584917)
Yes. BBC News, Alba and Parliament will be moving to Astra 2d - meaning reception of these channels that are currently available on smaller dishes may /will be affected.

However, the Red button streams will initially NOT be moving to the UK beam.
Initally they will be cut from 7 to 5 streams option, and stay on the same satellite they are currently on, but move to the "old" bbc news frequency 11954.

The change does mean that the trick of going to BBC News pressing red and going 3001 to watch the sports streams may no longer be available.

But the streams should still be available on "free to air" recievers, as these can go directly to the stream and do not need the BBC News / Red button application to function.

All part of the BBC cost cutting process...

as currently a licence fee payer who is totally against the draconian cuts to World Service perhaps I can say this is about time ?? And there are more channels yet that could be rationalised to give more cost savings.

the BBC has been rolling out new channels\streams all over the place, all funded by the licence and taxpayer. They have a reputation for deep pockets without worrying where the money actually comes from. whilst making some over due rationalisation of their offerings they are also axing independent revenue streams such as Radio Times, which makes a profit (something some in the BBC seem to find abhorant)

Unless I invest in £oodles I cannot get much more than the basic 2 tv and 6 radio channels. Anything else is restricted to those who can spend money on new technology (OK i also have a Virgin account so get cable tv) but when I see what is being offered to those who have never paid a penny in taxation in the uk to fund all this I really do wonder what is going on.

we are being forced to digital to increase the number of channels that will be available, but most TDT boxes don't work with older tv's i,e, those without scart connections so many of the elderly will not be able to make the change without an expensive new tv.

and now they want us all to move to DAB so they can sell off the FM band for other uses, such as White Space Devices for such as mobile broadband in very sparsely populated areas.
but even the BBC have admitted they have been reducing the quality of transmission on DAB when compared with FM
(and as for the manufacturers who expect us to buy a receiver with only one loudspeaker for a stereo transmission :thumbdown: )

lyric030250 Aug 27th 2011 1:37 pm

Guy,
When you refer to "small" and "large" dishes to what do you refer ?

I can currently watch all I desire on my 1.4m dish with Humax PVR. Whenever I check signal is green except in heavy rain, but most will have that problem.

The Guy Aug 27th 2011 2:34 pm

I say that small dishes 60cm -1.2m, and large dishes 1.8m - 2.4m.

The differnce being that if your dish is big enough to receive BBC1 or BBC2 you just press red and the sports option apprear in the menu options. Ifyour dish is not big enough to receive BBC1 or BBC2, then those users can currently go to BBC News, press red, 3001, select, and access the sports stream via that method. But with this change, smaller dishes will no longer be able to access BBC News, and so will no longer be able to get the red button application running.

If you can currently receive BBC1 London, or BBC1/2 Scotland OK then you will get BBC News when it moves...so you will / should have no issues

lyric030250 Aug 27th 2011 2:40 pm

Thanks, famous last words !!!!!