Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BBC IPLAYER Radio App - seems to work in Spain

Wikiposts

BBC IPLAYER Radio App - seems to work in Spain

Old May 20th 2014, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute
Default BBC IPLAYER Radio App - seems to work in Spain

Hi all. Might be useful to someone. I have an Android s3 phone. I wondered if people knew that the BBC Iplayer radio App can work within Spain with no work arounds. I was over in Barcelona from the UK last week. And as I have trouble snoozing at night, I usually pop some earphones in and listen to some 4 extra comedy or a documentary on the "On Demand" bit. So I switched it on (data off but wifi on), and it worked perfectly. (NOTE This is the standalone BBC Iplayer RADIO App. Not Iplayer, as that didnt work!). I could listen to all the BBC radio stations live. Plus browse and listen to all the instant "On Demand" shows on there. (Im currently working my way through the original Hitchikers Giude to the Galaxy radio plays! lol) It doesnt officially work according to the BBC . But I used it for 5 days on WIFI at night without any hassle. The thing to note is I downloaded the App in the UK. So that might be a factor. Nothing lost to try it though Otherwise sadly youll have to wait till you come to the UK to set it up. But I thought Id pass it on as someone might be interested in having a go....as its a great App!

Heres the App.

Description
- Listen live to all BBC Radio stations
- Browse hundreds of on-demand programmes
- Download podcasts to listen on the go
- Discover new music with Playlister
- Amazing audio quality over WiFi or 3G/4G
- Radio alarm - wake up with live radio
- Video and audio clips, including many live performances
- Schedules that go backwards by 7 days for easy catch-up
- Set reminders for future shows
- Connect to Bluetooth audio devices
- Share programmes and tracks with your friends

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.bbc.android.iplayerradio&hl=en_GB

Last edited by t2uds; May 20th 2014 at 11:27 am.
Old May 20th 2014, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC IPLAYER Radio App - seems to work in Spain

Yes you are right, just downloaded the app in Spain and bingo!
Old May 20th 2014, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Thats great! Glad it worked! Chuffed to bits it works for others Other than all the live BBC stations, theres some great stuff on there! And its always changing. Plus the digital sound quality is top notch!

Only use it on airplane mode with wifi tho! Not your mobile network.

Wack it in a speaker dock...and sorted. Happy days.

Last edited by t2uds; May 20th 2014 at 8:28 pm.
Old May 20th 2014, 9:03 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of other apps that will get almost every radio station in the world.
Old May 20th 2014, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spainrico

For me it told me it told me it was not available in my country (Spain!) well it also said my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 were not compatible

Do you have a Spanish mobile contract or a UK one?
Old May 20th 2014, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James
There are plenty of other apps that will get almost every radio station in the world.
Thanks for that. lol

Yes there are. But mainly only for live listening. The iplayer is a bit better than that. And if youre not interested in world radio, but prefer just a really good UK one. Then its hard to beat...and its free.

The BBC one is not only the dozen or so live UK radio feeds, but all the local ones too. Handy if youre missing home. Its only focus is UK Radio. So it has a built in 'Catch up' service for all the BBC live shows for listening at anytime when it suits you. And its worth it for The "On demand" section alone, which has everything from classic Goon Shows, original War of the Worlds & some amazing stand up to the latest Hippety hop & DJ sets.

Try it frst, then compare, or dont, upto you guys. If you prefer what you have. Super. Im not here to defend it. I posted this in case someone wanted the BBC Iplayer version, as its free, great...and its worked for me (and the other chap, who seemed happy enough) But if anyone feels another one offers a wider/better service (for free) for UK radio, then please feel free to post up a link and everyone can try that one too.

Old May 20th 2014, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh
For me it told me it told me it was not available in my country (Spain!) well it also said my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 were not compatible

I don't have any problem downloading anything from google play, Unlocked phone Spanish Sim, Talksport I use which I prefer to BBC, the only issue is it has adverts (in general) and in Spanish, which is weird as I would not think most who listen to Talksport would know any Spanish.

LBC and Talksport can send me to sleep, esp Danny Kelly, if not I don't mind a bit of Cadena Dial. Talksport also has loads of show repeated you can pick up.

The BBC app sounds good but I never listened to the Beeb in UK so I doubt I would listen to it here, horses for courses.

Last edited by andyrich666; May 20th 2014 at 9:54 pm.
Old May 20th 2014, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mfh

Sorry to hear that. Guess it wont work for everyone then. Might be worth finding out what you did different to the other guy in Spain it did work for. Did you download it on WIFI in aiplane mode? or thru your network?
Old May 20th 2014, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by t2uds
Sorry to hear that. Guess it wont work for everyone then. Might be worth finding out what you did different to the other guy in Spain it did work for. Did you download it on WIFI in aiplane mode? or thru your network?
Normally I don't have any problem but I looked a bit more closely at the two messages it gave me the first one under the app Banner said 'This app is incompatible with any of your devices.' the second message I get when I try to install is 'This app can not be installed in your device's country'

I think it's probably the Nexus element as I seem to be able to download any of the other BBC apps It's no big deal really
Old May 20th 2014, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by andyrich666
I don't have any problem downloading anything from google play, Unlocked phone Spanish Sim, Talksport I use which I prefer to BBC, the only issue is it has adverts (in general) and in Spanish, which is weird as I would not think most who listen to Talksport would know any Spanish.

LBC and Talksport can send me to sleep, esp Danny Kelly, if not I don't mind a bit of Cadena Dial. Talksport also has loads of show repeated you can pick up.

The BBC app sounds good but I never listened to the Beeb in UK so I doubt I would listen to it here, horses for courses.
I know what you mean. I never really listened to the BBC myself apart from a bit of Radio1. Funny enough it was only after using this app that I realised what great On Demand stuff was on there. But it makes a difference choosing what I want to listen to and when. Rather than just switching on live radio and hoping its something good.

I tend to use it now for bit of comedy and the odd audio book. But I tried it over there to see if itd work for when we move to Barcelona fully in August. Just thought id share that it worked in case anyone else liked the App. But if they dont want the App for some reason...then, again, Im not here to defend it. Just passing it on

Last edited by t2uds; May 21st 2014 at 12:03 am.
Old May 20th 2014, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

etc. etc.. But if they dont want the App for some reason...then Im not here to defend it. Just passing it on
I don't think you need to sound so defensive

I appreciate that you posted the link as I am sure other will be
Old May 20th 2014, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean. I never really listened to the BBC myself apart from a bit of Radio1. Funny enough it was only after using this app that I realised what great On Demand stuff was on there. But it makes a difference choosing what I want to listen to and when. Rather than just switching on live radio and hoping its something good.

I tend to use it now for bit of comedy and the odd audio book. But I tried it over there to see if itd work for when we move to Barcelona fully in August. Just thought id share that it worked in case anyone else liked the App. But if they don't want the App for some reason...then Im not here to defend it. Just passing it on
Thinking about it I have lied. I think you move with age, I used to be R1 all day long, then I switched to Capital FM, sarah Cox used to make me switch off and it sometimes was a struggle to go back, but when in UK I forgot I did listen to Jeremy Vine and Steve Wright, then Id switch to talksport at five or if in the car, my own music,

I still listen to Jeremy Vine, not so much Steve Wright as now as I trying to improve my language here.

I will download the app as sometimes especially with no footie on at the moment, Talksport is absolute drivel.

I refuse to have a TV in the bedroom, so I listen to the radio on my phone most nights, Ill grab the app and Ill give it a go for sure.

I already have Radioplayer app which I think also contains some non live content as well as live.
Old May 20th 2014, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

Just saw this, it was via wifi and I'm a bit confused as Airplane Mode on my Nexus cuts off wifi
Old May 20th 2014, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mfh
Just saw this, it was via wifi and I'm a bit confused as Airplane Mode on my Nexus cuts off wifi
You should be able to re-activate the wifi when in Airplane mode
Old May 20th 2014, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by andyrich666
You should be able to re-activate the wifi when in Airplane mode
Thanks I just learned something

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.