Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BBC iPlayer on Firestick

BBC iPlayer on Firestick

Old Apr 18th 2022, 7:42 pm
Banned

LarryR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BBC iPlayer on Firestick

Simple..............sign up with one of the Smart DNS Companies ............go into your router setting and change DNS to the ones supplied by your new DNS service. Then after rebooting router your onboard apps of your TV (I have LG OLED with region set to UK so UK apps are available) will work without any issues. With DNS installed in your router all your other devices will be similarly geo unblocked.

Last edited by LarryR; Apr 18th 2022 at 7:53 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2022, 6:07 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately not all the time. Due to the way SmartDNS works, some TVs need to be set up using a VPN set for the UK before they load up the UK apps, then you can remove the VPN and use a Smartdns instead. Some TVs using just smart dns to set up the apps do not always know exactly where you are, due to how smart dns works, so dont offer the correct regional apps.
Old Apr 19th 2022, 7:43 am
Banned

All I can do is speak from personal experience and having used a smart DNS for best part of 6 years I have never had an issue setting up a TV to U.K regional settings. The DNS has nothing at all to do with this process. Simply the onboard settings of the TV itself. Admittedly this is with initially a Samsung then more recently 3 LG's and the latest LG Oled - all LG's Region set to U.K straight out of the box without issue and all apps present and correct.. Other TV brands I don't know. Maybe it wont work on a ten year old Philips and much older TV models. Suggest OP tries to change his tv region location settings on the TV he uses and see how he gets on.
Old Apr 19th 2022, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LarryR
All I can do is speak from personal experience and having used a smart DNS for best part of 6 years I have never had an issue setting up a TV to U.K regional settings. The DNS has nothing at all to do with this process. Simply the onboard settings of the TV itself. Admittedly this is with initially a Samsung then more recently 3 LG's and the latest LG Oled - all LG's Region set to U.K straight out of the box without issue and all apps present and correct.. Other TV brands I don't know. Maybe it wont work on a ten year old Philips and much older TV models. Suggest OP tries to change his tv region location settings on the TV he uses and see how he gets on.
Sending a virtual 6 pack for that. You’re a star, thank you. I used the SmartDNS on My NordVPN account, which I didn’t know existed, found a helpful African guy on YouTube who explained how to open the Samsung country settings and it’s working.

I think I still need the Firestick though as I can’t figure how to get HBO España on to the TV now it’s set to the UK.
Old Apr 20th 2022, 2:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by SanNico
Sending a virtual 6 pack for that. You’re a star, thank you. I used the SmartDNS on My NordVPN account, which I didn’t know existed, found a helpful African guy on YouTube who explained how to open the Samsung country settings and it’s working.

I think I still need the Firestick though as I can’t figure how to get HBO España on to the TV now it’s set to the UK.
Glad its worked for you👍.
Old May 11th 2022, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Short update. I took the Firestick to try out on a family members TV, a 2020 Samsung. Their internet was painfully slow, 6Mb down and 0.2 up. The Firestick was useless despite the TV having no problems streaming from Prime, Apple and NetFlix.
The answer for poor connections seems to be to use a SmartDNS on the TV and figure out how to change the app location.

LarryR I just bought an LG, the app is taking a while to adjust to but the config is much simpler than a Samsung.