BBC channels

Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:03 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of
Default BBC channels

My sky card is registered in Scotland at my parents house so my default BBC1 is Scottish. it was always ok in the afternoon and evening but in the last week it has started breaking up a lot. Dont know if I need a re-allignment of the dish or they have chnged the frequency of BBC1 Scotland.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 10:03 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC channels

I dont think BBC1 Scotland was one of those regions that were changed and affected by the fequency changes a few weeks ago.
6 BBC1 England regions, as were Wales and N Ireland, but not Scotland. BBC Scotlands are still on the same frequency they have been since 2003!

Remember that all BBC regions are all available on the Sky EPG from 971 upwards, so youcan try a different regions. They will not be exactly the same, but most of the programmes will be.

Check dish alignment, or even the LNB for "nasties" that block signals. Also pay attentoin to plants growing infront of the dish.
You can use the shadow of the LNB on the dish to see when the dish is pointing directly at the satellites - at about 1030ish the shadow of the prime focus LNB will be in the middle of the dish meaning the satellites are inthe direction of the sun. Then see if there are any other shadows on the dish - as these shadows will mean that they are reducing the signal from the satellite to the dish, and remove the obstruction

Last edited by The Guy; Nov 4th 2010 at 10:08 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

As you are on Guy someone told OH that you could buy something in the UK which would allow you to receive BBC IPlayer here in Spain. Do you know anything about it?
Old Nov 5th 2010, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: BBC channels

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
As you are on Guy someone told OH that you could buy something in the UK which would allow you to receive BBC IPlayer here in Spain. Do you know anything about it?
What you need is a proxy PROXY IP address these can be free but better to pay a small amount per month than suffer gremlins. This makes you appear to be in UK.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

I know that the BBC-I Player is being launched as a Nintendo Wii channel on 18 Nov (seehttp://thegamershub.co.uk/2009/11/bbc-i-player-for-wii/), but am unsure whether or not that means it will be available on a Nintendo Wii outside of the UK?
Old Nov 5th 2010, 8:58 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Thought you were moving home is everything ok now in Spain? pm me
Old Nov 5th 2010, 10:06 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cymruambyth
I know that the BBC-I Player is being launched as a Nintendo Wii channel on 18 Nov (seehttp://thegamershub.co.uk/2009/11/bbc-i-player-for-wii/), but am unsure whether or not that means it will be available on a Nintendo Wii outside of the UK?
I think you will still need to use a proxy server in the UK.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

My broadband is with Round Town Network and as such I get the following channels free on my PC:- BBC 1 & 2 : ITV & ITV 2 : CH 4 : CH5 : E4 : MORE 4 : CITV : TINY POP and CHART SHOW.

As I do not have the room for a large dish I find it very useful as I can watch BBC on my TV via the laptop.

Also BBC World Service, Radio 2 and Radio 4.

It is available for non RTN users I believe but at a price and I have no idea how much it is.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

dr_designer will become famous soon enough

The iPlayer question is a bit off-topic, but there is now an answer.

There is an free product called Expat Shield available from http://www.expatshield.com/.

There has been a lot of comment on Facebook and twitter. It seems there are no catches!

All us expats can now use the iPlayer as though we were living in the UK and paying the licence fee!
Old Nov 8th 2010, 4:37 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

No matter what if you want to use the Iplayer from the UK companies you need to bypass the geoblocking they have to stop people outside the UK and ROI using the service.
Proxies can be free, but you never know what they may allow back into your PC.
A paid for VPN is (allegedly!) more secure, and less likely to slow down at peak times than a proxy.

Even if Iplayer is on Wii and PS3 you need to hook it to your router, and set your router for proxy / vpn settings, rather than the normal Spanish ISP settings.

Many channels offered can also be accessed with no subscription on a small dish - like an 80/1m dish - like ITV1, C4, Five, Fiver, Five USA, Tiny Pop, Chart SHow, Movies forMen, True Movies, BBC News, BBC radios 1,2,3,4, and about 200 plus other channels (OK only about 30 are watchable tho!). For the ITV1 C4s and Fives a sky box and sky card (nonsubscription) aer required.
But for BBC1,2,3,4, ITV2,3,4 then either "big dish" (area depending) or one of these telco systems...which i understand require at elast a 2m download speed to have reasonsable quality - and you will not get HD channels without anything like 10m download....
Old Nov 8th 2010, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dr_designer

There is an free product called Expat Shield available from http://www.expatshield.com/.

There has been a lot of comment on Facebook and twitter. It seems there are no catches!

All us expats can now use the iPlayer as though we were living in the UK and paying the licence fee!
It certainly looks good. Has anyone on here used it?
Old Nov 8th 2010, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Before anyone else jumps, I should say that there are ads when you log on and off.

But no more intrusive than a typical TV ad. In my view, of course.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Oh, and one more issue.

My fellow expats understand, I hope, that I am just suggesting something to people who want it. I have nothing at stake here at all. I just know people who have found it an answer to their own particular prayer.

I myself have it on just 1 of my 3 networked computers. You may find, if you install it on your only computer, that you have to run it in order to get on the Internet at all. (If that annoys you, you can uninstall it even before running it.)
Old Nov 9th 2010, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Smile Re: BBC channels

Originally Posted by dr_designer

Well I downloaded it and watched Giles & Sue do the Good Life which I had missed last night. Excellent picture quality. Thanks so much.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 2:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Well I downloaded it and watched Giles & Sue do the Good Life which I had missed last night. Excellent picture quality. Thanks so much.
Has your computer slowed down yet ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.