Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Battery back-up thinyg for power cuts

Battery back-up thinyg for power cuts

Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all
Default Battery back-up thinyg for power cuts

Hola,

I remember talking about this on here before somewhere....

With this weather the power cuts are frequent, I've a power surge adapter between the mains and my computer but this morning I could not get my computer to start after a power cut, I changed the socket that it was in, on the adapter and it worked...... but I will admit I was in tears...

My whole business revolves around my computer, I saved and bought a Mac, I have continuous back-ups so my work would be saved but I cannot afford to replace the computer!

I am going to head out and buy one of those battery back-up thingys, I have seen them in Media Mart but does anyone know where else I could get them?

Thanks
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:38 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Battery back-up thinyg for power cuts

I think most computer places have them ... I have a mac too and a UPS "uninterrupted power supply" which I think cost around €60. Don't cry, it should take more than a few power cuts to really upset your mac.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

Jnk...

UPS that's it, I couldn't remember the name!

I am soooooo scared that I feel like stopping work and turning the computer off, until I've bought one of these things!

The power surge adapter cost 40 euros and is meant to have an insurance with it, but I cannot see me getting a pay-out if it kills my Mac! So these UPS things seem a better idea!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:56 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Emma-Louise
Jnk...

UPS that's it, I couldn't remember the name!

I am soooooo scared that I feel like stopping work and turning the computer off, until I've bought one of these things!

The power surge adapter cost 40 euros and is meant to have an insurance with it, but I cannot see me getting a pay-out if it kills my Mac! So these UPS things seem a better idea!
Definitely gives you peace of mind. But I've worked on Macs for as long as they've been around and never had one die on me yet.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold

Hola,

I remember talking about this on here before somewhere....

With this weather the power cuts are frequent, I've a power surge adapter between the mains and my computer but this morning I could not get my computer to start after a power cut, I changed the socket that it was in, on the adapter and it worked...... but I will admit I was in tears...

My whole business revolves around my computer, I saved and bought a Mac, I have continuous back-ups so my work would be saved but I cannot afford to replace the computer!

I am going to head out and buy one of those battery back-up thingys, I have seen them in Media Mart but does anyone know where else I could get them?

Thanks
Hi,
UPS is absolutely to recommend in the entire Spain. I have clients downtown Fuengirola who has had much trouble with powercuts and to high volage. But after installing UPS all have worked perfect.
The problem is often that the main lines is to weak and when big AC units stops the voltage rise to high, and that is more dangerus than powercuts.
I have it more easy, I o not have any connection vith Endesa, I use solar power and backup generator - its far more safe - and the sun is free.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reassurance guys!

I am definately buying one!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:53 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reassurance guys!

I am definately buying one!
I bought one off the internet here in Spain - it's a TRUST 500. It has a 20k euro warranty and only cost 40 euros from what I can remember.

Ordered it and it arrived 2 days later - works well for surges and power cuts!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:57 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

In Spanish it is an SAI - Sistema de alimentación ininterrumpida.

They are as little as €50 but the better ones have a USB connection to the PC and the software provided allows them to control the shutdown of the PC when the battery starts getting low.

If you don't have this facility then when the battery runs out the PC just stops suddenly when the power eventually goes off.

APC is a very good make. This is the sort of model to look for

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Back-UPS-CS-...5869743&sr=8-3

The length of time it will run depends on exactly what you have connected to it and the capacity of the unit.

Typically you should get 5 to 10 minutes backup but if the software is set up properly, the PC will have switched off or gone into hibernation by then.

Apart from two of them on my PCs, I have one on the TV/Sat system. It's spooky when the lights go off and the TV is still on!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

As I mentioned in your previous post on the matter, we've been using these for ages and never had any problems: https://www.pccomponentes.com/riello...00va_id60.html - they seem to be a great, reliable and cheap Spanish supplier of anything PC related!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

We have UPS on all our computers but one of them we've had for 6 years and Frankly, it's given up. But I suppose that's to be expected. it is a rechargeable battery after all.

What I'd like advice on is what to do about power cuts tripping the main unit when we're away and spoiling our Freezer goods. Does anyone have an answer to this... Until we can afford a solar backup system. Is there anything which can automatically attempt a reset of the entire electrics?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:35 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on which fuse is tripping when you have a powercut.

If it is the differential trip then it is possible to get one which resets automatically.

http://www.solostocks.com/venta-prod...matico-3521261
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

What is it with Spanish electricity that proves so difficult to supply without all these trips I read about. I know someone that moved because of it, he lived on a hill and everytime the wind blew, the cables touched and shut everything down. He gave up in the end!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It depends on which fuse is tripping when you have a powercut.

If it is the differential trip then it is possible to get one which resets automatically.

http://www.solostocks.com/venta-prod...matico-3521261
Very useful information. We're still on builder electricity but when we get our own box we'll put one of them in for the fridges and freezer. Thanks for that.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:48 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

and UPSs are ideal for use with Sky+ boxes, meaning if the power goes off, the box will (or should!) still be able to record for a while, useful for quick powercuts.

And if you MUST always have power, you can "daisy chain" them together so one feeds another.......
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Neil29649 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, go for a line-interactive UPS.

You do have to pay a little extra but they're worth it.

Salicru, APC or Merlin Gerin are some of the best you can buy.

It's like most things in life you get what you pay for so don't get the cheapest available. Expect to pay €70 - €90 for a mid range ups for home use.

Neil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.