Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Barcelona - School that teach in Spanish ?

Barcelona - School that teach in Spanish ?

Old Oct 16th 2012, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

mariaGB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Barcelona - School that teach in Spanish ?

has anyone got any advice / recommendations for schools that teach mainly in standard Spanish as opposed to Catalan - or is it even possible..

or is Catalan really that different to standard Spanish ?

trying to find out as much info as I can before we arrive in november.

thanks in advance

(kids are 4 and 9)
Old Oct 16th 2012, 2:54 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barcelona - School that teach in Spanish ?

Originally Posted by mariaGB
has anyone got any advice / recommendations for schools that teach mainly in standard Spanish as opposed to Catalan - or is it even possible..

or is Catalan really that different to standard Spanish ?

trying to find out as much info as I can before we arrive in november.

thanks in advance

(kids are 4 and 9)
it's a completely different language............

I don't live in that area, but in the Valencia region - here, you won't find a state school which doesn't teach in Valenciano - though they do teach in Castellano also - the two languages run alongside each other

I'd be very surprised if it's different in Barcelona
Old Oct 16th 2012, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
it's a completely different language............

I don't live in that area, but in the Valencia region - here, you won't find a state school which doesn't teach in Valenciano - though they do teach in Castellano also - the two languages run alongside each other

I'd be very surprised if it's different in Barcelona
Yes Barcelona is different, Catalan plays a much greater role than Valenciano

As far as I know, they teach mainly in Catalan, with 3 or 4 hours a week being in Spanish. They will effectively learn Spanish as a second (or third) language

There is a huge debate about this at the moment between the central government and the Catalan government and is one of the issues being "negotiated" to stop Catalunya seeking independence in the next year or two

And yes Catalan is very different to Spanish. Well, as different as Italian is to Spanish

Last edited by cricketman; Oct 16th 2012 at 3:35 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 3:38 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Yes Barcelona is different, Catalan plays a much greater role than Valenciano

As far as I know, they teach mainly in Catalan, with 3 or 4 hours a week being in Spanish. They will effectively learn Spanish as a second (or third) language

There is a huge debate about this at the moment between the central government and the Catalan government and is one of the issues being "negotiated" to stop Catalunya seeking independence in the next year or two
yes - I thought if it was any different it would be that they are even heavier on the Catalán than they are on the Valenciano here

actually the only thing my elder dd studies in Castellano is, well, Castellano - 3 hours a week

the rest of the subjects are taught in Valenciano - although some of the teachers prefer to teach in Castellano
Old Oct 16th 2012, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone.

next newbie question - is that 3 hours a week enough for them to sit exams in Spanish or is it just a token gesture ?

I would like my kids to be able to walk away in 5 years with a decent working knowledge of Spanish, not just Catalan.. despite of the possible political options
Old Oct 16th 2012, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone.

next newbie question - is that 3 hours a week enough for them to sit exams in Spanish or is it just a token gesture ?

I would like my kids to be able to walk away in 5 years with a decent working knowledge of Spanish, not just Catalan.. despite of the possible political options
Any exams in Catalunya would be in Catalan, not Spanish. If they are not speaking Spanish with you at home then they may need a little extra help if they wanted to go to a Spanish university. The universities in Catalunya all work in Catalan anyway

Nowadays, it is essential to speak Catalan to get through the education system and get a job in Catalunya.

Your children are 5 and 9, a good age to pick up Catalan quickly. Whether they pick up Spanish as well will also depend on what the kids speak in the playground, in some parts of Barcelona they will mainly speak Catalan, and in other parts mainly Spanish. Why do you say they are only going to be there 5 years?

My nephews have been living in Barcelona for 2.5 years - speak mainly Catalan at school, but mainly Spanish out of school. They can read and write OK in both (aged 5 and 6) and can even speak a bit of English from their English classes

If you are going to live very centrally in Barcelona then beware that at the state schools, your children may be surrouded by Latin Americans, Chinese and Moroccan children, and very few Spanish or Catalans at all. That isnt a problem in itself, but may not meet your expectations

Barcelona is a complicated city and it requires a while to work it out! In my opinion, it also requires you to be fluent in at least one of the languages and have a basic understanding of the other, otherwise you wont have a clue about what is going on - Catalan is also very important for making adult friends

Last edited by cricketman; Oct 16th 2012 at 5:56 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

hoping to be there a minimum of 5 years but I would hope that 5 years is a decent amount of time to grasp a language enough to use it day-to-day. I'd like to be there for at least 10+ so both kids get through their education.

as for exams - what i means was - would the few hours be enough to pass an exam for spanish - as if it was italian etc as a second/third language or should i be looking to get them more classes to have it as an examable study class etc

I have no issue getting them more classes etc but wasnt sure if there was choices in doing so or even worth doing so.

we're looking at Gracia as where to live... as we've been told it has a good mix of everything while still being 'central' enough for metro etc

not too worried about latin american/chinese as we have friends in both cultures so my kids have the odd word or three from both...
Old Oct 16th 2012, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

hoping to be there a minimum of 5 years but I would hope that 5 years is a decent amount of time to grasp a language enough to use it day-to-day. I'd like to be there for at least 10+ so both kids get through their education.

as for exams - what i means was - would the few hours be enough to pass an exam for spanish - as if it was italian etc as a second/third language or should i be looking to get them more classes to have it as an examable study class etc

I have no issue getting them more classes etc but wasnt sure if there was choices in doing so or even worth doing so.

we're looking at Gracia as where to live... as we've been told it has a good mix of everything while still being 'central' enough for metro etc

not too worried about latin american/chinese as we have friends in both cultures so my kids have the odd word or three from both...
Gracia is a nice neighbourhood, but noisy at night from the bars etc - and very expensive. Probably talking 1500-2000 euros/month rent for a 3 bed flat. More for anything luxurious

There are lots of foreigners there (and tourists), but also a good village atmosphere

I am not sure what you mean for a level of Spanish good enough to pass an exam in. It depends how hard the exam is! The Q is whether it will be good enough to study and work in Spanish and Catalan. I'd say that they should be OK, but it is worth keeping an eye on
Old Oct 16th 2012, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

oh ok.

thanks for the info. we'll have some time to look around before figuring out where to settle so hopefully we'll find something that works for us all.