Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Barcelona - Buying Property - the Certificate of Habitability.. getting one?

Barcelona - Buying Property - the Certificate of Habitability.. getting one?

Old Feb 12th 2019, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

Adam777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Barcelona - Buying Property - the Certificate of Habitability.. getting one?

HI,

As I troll through the many real estate sites (and thank you to the posters that have suggested which sites to use) I keep seeing 'Property does not have Certificate of Habitability'

My understanding of this is that....
  • Without this 'approval' of the premises I can not get register as living at that address (to get an accurate Padron)
  • Selling onwards can be problematic
What I'm curious about is this, I assume there is a process to register new builds and conversions for this certificate. Some properties would qualify for the certificate and some will not (is my assumption).

So my question is ... where can I get information on the realities involved in getting a property the certificate of habitability if it does not have one.

Thanks

Adam
Old Feb 12th 2019, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barcelona - Buying Property - the Certificate of Habitability.. getting one?

Originally Posted by Adam777
HI,

As I troll through the many real estate sites (and thank you to the posters that have suggested which sites to use) I keep seeing 'Property does not have Certificate of Habitability'

My understanding of this is that....
  • Without this 'approval' of the premises I can not get register as living at that address (to get an accurate Padron)
  • Selling onwards can be problematic
What I'm curious about is this, I assume there is a process to register new builds and conversions for this certificate. Some properties would qualify for the certificate and some will not (is my assumption).

So my question is ... where can I get information on the realities involved in getting a property the certificate of habitability if it does not have one.

Thanks

Adam
I would check here first: The importance of the habitation certificate in Spain | Ábaco Advisers Why does the seller not have this document?
Everything should be done through town hall/planning department. You will usually find all documents online and processes explained. For example, where we have land it's under council website:
Sede Electrònica - PLANEAMIENTO Y GESTIÓN URBANÍSTICA - Trámites - Impresos municipales
On website you will usually have email contact address, so I would just ask if uncertain. I have very bad Spanish but with Google translate it works fine and so far I have managed to communicate that way.
I want to do some earth movements and get a wall built, but even for this I need to follow the process (application for major or minor works) but the town hall is helpful explaining what's needed. In your case, the question is why someone is selling without this document?????

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 12th 2019 at 2:48 am.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barcelona - Buying Property - the Certificate of Habitability.. getting one?

Many older properties do not have this document because it was not in the regs when it was built. But in the Alicante province (and many others I am sure) if you do not have this document you may not get connection to mains services (gas if available, water and electricity) so you have to apply for it and it being issued may necessitate works being done on the property to bring it up to date.

When it is not available on a new property the problem is different - it has not been issued because the constructor has not complied with all the relevant legislation when he built the property and/or including a very big problem - no planning permission in the first place.

In the case of a second-hand property, it is known as Licencia de segunda occupacion.

Bottom line - if this is not available - buyer beware! Also, I cannot believe any bank would consider a mortgage until this document is available.

It is up to the seller to provide this document. (Along with many others)
Old Feb 12th 2019, 4:07 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion, make it a condition of the sale that the vendor gets one. Don't part with ANY money until that is done.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 9:25 am
Just Joined

citizen_of_Barcelona is an unknown quantity at this point

Long story short, stay away and dont get yourself in trouble/ trying to rationalize the idea of buying a property with no certificate. You want to minimize the chance of making mistakes while doing business in a place you are not familiar with, this won’t help.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I am bound to say I agree with the last two posts. Buying anything in that area might prove problematic given the political situation.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Buying anything in that area might prove problematic given the political situation.
I don't know what the political situation would have to do with it. It's been like this since 1922 with ups and downs.
Since then, we had a world war and all kinds of revolutions across Europe, so technically buying anywhere in Europe could prove problematic.
The OP is just asking about the Certificate of Habitability.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well I would not choose to live in an area where there are regular protests and general unrest when there are plenty more areas which offer a quieter lifestyle.

Each to their own.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spainrico
Well I would not choose to live in an area where there are regular protests and general unrest when there are plenty more areas which offer a quieter lifestyle.

Each to their own.
Well that's the point. If you live in Paris or London, you'll also find regular protests and general unrest can be found in every larger city or where there are many people. Catalonia is roughly the size of Belgium, so if you want a quieter lifestyle in Belgium, you probably wouldn't move to the centre of Brussels. If the OP is working in Barcelona, it's pointless to tell him to move to Andalucia (example). And even in Andalucia you'll find political situations. Gibraltar is not that far away, Africa is just around the corner, plenty of criminals call Marbella their home etc. And I can't imagine that Alicante offers a quieter lifestyle than Cadaqués for example.

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 13th 2019 at 9:11 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Adam777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bugger....just typed out a long reply and lost it.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm now much better informed as to the need for a Cert' of Habitability and I shall not part with a penny unless there is one or the owner gets one (before I part with a penny).

As for the wider political situation. As a single self-employed Brexit refugee with a new business that is very portable (laptop and wi/fi based) I am content with a level of uncertainty. Hopefully whatever happens is guided by calm, considered decision making.

Thanks to All

Adam