Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Barcelona Airport

Barcelona Airport

Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute
Default Barcelona Airport

Here's a long shot, but nothing ventured...
Next Thursday we're putting our daughter and her boyfriend on a flight from Barcelona to Zürich with LX (Swiss).

Never been to Barcelona or the airport and certainly not to the new terminal 1 which only opened in June this year from where the plane departs..

Anybody been there and done that and if so any tips? We're driving down from Carcassonne.

I guess it's a long shot because I'm pretty sure flights to/from Britain leave from Terminal A (or is it now Terminal 2 - the net version is not clear!!)
Old Jul 30th 2009, 5:20 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Barcelona Airport

Originally Posted by Roger O
Here's a long shot, but nothing ventured...
Next Thursday we're putting our daughter and her boyfriend on a flight from Barcelona to Zürich with LX (Swiss).

Never been to Barcelona or the airport and certainly not to the new terminal 1 which only opened in June this year from where the plane departs..

Anybody been there and done that and if so any tips? We're driving down from Carcassonne.

I guess it's a long shot because I'm pretty sure flights to/from Britain leave from Terminal A (or is it now Terminal 2 - the net version is not clear!!)
Snip Snip But considering your asking about a Spanish Airport why not ask in the right place?

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jul 30th 2009 at 5:42 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

Because I live in France and am driving from there??
(Don't need directions from downtown Barcelona or Malgrat etc.)
Old Jul 31st 2009, 8:49 am

Well your options are as long as they are short, A61 to Narbonne Then the A9 down the coast to spain, Or you could cut across to Foix and use the Tunnel, Being that its summer both routes are going to be Traffic Heavy so give yourself plenty of time being that its 200 kms to Barcelona you have to be at the airport normally an hour before the Flight I would say give youself an extra 2 or 3 hours knowing the road so leave 5 or 6 hours before the flight time.

They could have TGV to Lyon and got a direct Swiss Air flight or Flown from Toulouse to Lyon and then on to Zurich, Saved you a 400Km round trip.

I didnt see any request for directions, Just a request for Tips and seeing that the airport is in Spain more of the Spanish Section Forum users will have used the Airport more so would be able to give you better local advice.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jul 31st 2009 at 9:04 am.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Arrow Re: Barcelona Airport

The point of Barcelona is that Swiss flies direct to Zürich and having worked for Swissair 23 years with plenty of useful contacts still available, I got them two very nice tickets for a very nice price - part of my daughter's 19th birthday present - so they have no travel hassle and a special in-flight service.

Actually, I suppose I am more concerned with finding the new BCN Terminal 2 without missing any vital turnoff(s) - having had previous problems with Spanish directional signs... er.. or lack of them.. probably just me overanxious not to miss that particular flight though my tendency to lose myself when driving through and around large cities!!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Roger O
The point of Barcelona is that Swiss flies direct to Zürich and having worked for Swissair 23 years with plenty of useful contacts still available, I got them two very nice tickets for a very nice price - part of my daughter's 19th birthday present - so they have no travel hassle and a special in-flight service.

Actually, I suppose I am more concerned with finding the new BCN Terminal 2 without missing any vital turnoff(s) - having had previous problems with Spanish directional signs... er.. or lack of them.. probably just me overanxious not to miss that particular flight though my tendency to lose myself when driving through and around large cities!!
So I guess in a way the Spanish Section is the best place to ask Being like that Barcelona Airport is in Spain I would stick em on the TGV in Carcassonne to Zurich. Schedule as follows

1 From CARCASSONNE To MONTPELLIER ST-ROCH
1 x 2nd Cl Full Fare Adult
2 From MONTPELLIER ST-ROCH To GENEVE CFF
1 x 2nd Cl Full Fare Adult
3 From GENEVE CFF To ZUERICH HB
1 x Ind. Open Ticket Adult

Loads of fun and you get to see the countryside for 188 euros And the train station is 20 Minutes up the road.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jul 31st 2009 at 11:37 am.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 7:06 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I looked on www.barcelona-airport.com but the map only mentions Terminals A, B and C, no sign of Terminal 1! I'd ring the airline company, if I were you...
I noticed a train station on the map, but will leave it to you to click on Transports to look into it. If their flight connects with the trains going down from Narbonne, why don't they take a train to Barcelona and then the shuttle, or whatever, to the airport, or even a taxi? It would save hassle and reduce your own carbon footprint...

Last edited by dmu; Aug 1st 2009 at 7:11 am.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Don't worry Barcelona airport is dead easy. All the terminals are on a circular road one after the other, just follow the signs which are pretty clear. If you miss where you want to be you can just go round again. There is loads of carparking and its all close together so not far to walk whichever terminal you want. I think the new terminal is just past terminal C.

As for getting there from France by car the easiest way is to come straight down the AP7 and again follow the signs. As the airport is south of Barcelona you have to take the tunnels through the city but again they are very well signposted - just look for signs to the Port and the airport.

I live near Girona and its about 1 hour 30 minutes drive from here.

Best of luck Rosemary
Old Aug 1st 2009, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry, the last time I was there was May and the new terminal opened in June. They obviously haven't got around to updating the airport maps (how typically spanish!)

The link below is the best information I could find and I note it says theres a 10 minute shuttle bus to the other terminals and doesn't mention arriving by car. Might not be as easy as I first thought.

http://www.castelldefels.com/aeropor...irport.htm#top

Rosemary
Old Aug 1st 2009, 10:10 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
I looked on www.barcelona-airport.com but the map only mentions Terminals A, B and C, no sign of Terminal 1! I'd ring the airline company, if I were you...
I noticed a train station on the map, but will leave it to you to click on Transports to look into it. If their flight connects with the trains going down from Narbonne, why don't they take a train to Barcelona and then the shuttle, or whatever, to the airport, or even a taxi? It would save hassle and reduce your own carbon footprint...
A lack of information is what you get when you read the unofficial website. Here is the link to the official Spanish website:
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?pagename=Home
With one to the airport of BCN too: (with map)
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?pa...=1045569607459
You can change languages if you wish, by clicking the English button at the top.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

OK now so its clear - the old terminals A,B & C are now Terminal 2 (A,B & C) and the new Terminal 1 is further round with its own car parks.

The website tells you everything you need to know. What a shame it doesn't come up when you google Barcelona airport.

Rose
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 9:55 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
OK now so its clear - the old terminals A,B & C are now Terminal 2 (A,B & C) and the new Terminal 1 is further round with its own car parks.

The website tells you everything you need to know. What a shame it doesn't come up when you google Barcelona airport.

Rose
If you use Spanish it does. Which is strange considering it is a location used internationally.
But is like the RENFE website that too is crap and not very good in English either.
A note that if you use Firefox the airport's website does not load up well. It is better in IE. This time it is due to coding of the website.