Reload this Page >

banks & mortgages

banks & mortgages

Old Mar 26th 2006, 4:45 pm
LLC
Just Joined

LLC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default banks & mortgages

Hello, your experiences & advice would be appreciated on good spanish banks; & any ones I should watch out for with regards to high fees.

Which ones are best for good mortgage offers? Do i need to bring anything with me apart from proof of income.

Do they want proof of your outgoings on other commitments etc?

I am flying to Murcia Tuesday, so your help would be really appreciated

many thanks,
Louise Friend
Old Mar 26th 2006, 9:31 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: banks & mortgages

Originally Posted by LLC
Hello, your experiences & advice would be appreciated on good spanish banks; & any ones I should watch out for with regards to high fees.

Which ones are best for good mortgage offers? Do i need to bring anything with me apart from proof of income.

many thanks,
Louise Friend
In my Spanish banking experience I had accounts with three banks. Banco De Valencia who were very heavy with the charges. BBVA who were OK, and finally who I ended up with eventually was SOLBank. Solbank's charges are very reasonable, especially for their prestige account which is designed for expats. They have english staff at every branch and to use their brand cash machines is free although you are charged 7.50 euros per half year for the card.
They also have (if you want it) a high interest sterling account so you can have sterling and euros under the same umbrella and transfer accordingly when you want to. They do mortgages also obviously .. can't help you there though cos pleased to say i don't have one
And their online banking system is excellent. Link below.
You can open an account just with your passport.

https://www.solbank.com/en/PAGINA_IN...NICIAL_CLIENT/

Hope this helps
Old Mar 27th 2006, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

If you look at the thread I started called "bank charges" there was a lot of good advice on there. I was with Banca March, who were very expensive. We have since moved to Caja Madrid, its early days to say how they are. On my thread the Halifax was a popular recommendation.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 2:12 pm
LLC
Just Joined

LLC is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for both your help! have read the thread you started NicCole, is really useful. Thanks again, Louise
Old Mar 27th 2006, 5:03 pm
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LLC

many thanks,
Louise Friend
I find the Halifax very good. No charges to transfer money from UK to Spain if you open a Halifax Uk a/c and a Spanish Halifax a/c. I have applied for a mortgage with them and again they have been helpful. If you want to pm me I can give you contact no. and names.

PS I am not a Halifax employee...honest !!

Regards

Mel
Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:24 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MEL & JOHN
I find the Halifax very good. No charges to transfer money from UK to Spain if you open a Halifax Uk a/c and a Spanish Halifax a/c. I have applied for a mortgage with them and again they have been helpful. If you want to pm me I can give you contact no. and names.

PS I am not a Halifax employee...honest !!

Regards

Mel
I asked the Halifax about a £30000 mortgage in Spain and they told me they didn't get involved in mortgages that small
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

sortedtoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I asked the Halifax about a £30000 mortgage in Spain and they told me they didn't get involved in mortgages that small
Anyone got any experience dealing with barclays for mortgage in spain - they seem to be offering good rate + allow you to pay lump sums off at any time without penalty?

Never liked them in uk though - just wondering about spain?
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

matt begley has a brilliant futurematt begley has a brilliant futurematt begley has a brilliant futurematt begley has a brilliant futurematt begley has a brilliant futurematt begley has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by LLC

many thanks,
Louise Friend
Here's my two peneth!

I use Susana Rubino at Caja Madrid - my Spanish is less than average, her English is very good and the banks rates/charges/web site are all pretty good. If you want her email address send me a PM with yours.

If you are buying off plan then you would probably be wise to take the developers mortgage as you can avoid some of the set up charges (reduced arrangement fee and no survey fee) and often the rates are good as the developer has 'bought' funds in bulk. Basically the deal gets transferred to you.

For me Halifax/Barclays want to know too much about you (in terms of proof of this and proof of that). With the Spanish banks, if you have a large enough deposit - 25%-30%, bank statements showing income (they ignore UK expenditure, employers letter and a pulse you get a mortgage no probs!

Current account charges (in Euros) to be aware of : Card charges 12 per year for each cardholder, account maintenance 20 (?) per year, cashpoint withdrawls usually 0.3 - 0.5 per withdrawl.

If you want to take money out from a UK account abroad get a Nationwide flex account and credit card as withdrawls and purchases are charged at commercial and not tourist rates with no handling fee. Best in market. I just load my Nationwide account before I go and use that rather than my regular NatWest.

Good luck.

regards,

Matt
Old May 15th 2006, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

PULULA is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!! I worked for an english travel company most of our customers use Cajamar do not know why?? but it seems very popular. Worth to check...