Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

banks that DON'T charge for withdrawing

banks that DON'T charge for withdrawing

Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of
Default banks that DON'T charge for withdrawing

Hi All,

Just trying to get the best deal here. I currently bank with Halifax for both my current account (visa debit) and credit card (mastercard)

I'm not sure on their charges (waiting for a reply) but while I wait I thought it would be interesting to know, from people with experience, what charges, if any, each bank charges.

Just to clarify. This is for withdrawing money from ATMs in Spain with UK bank cards.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of
Default Re: banks that DON'T charge for withdrawing

Hmmm..

Found on Halifax website.

We'll choose the exchange rate that applies and we'll include a conversion fee of 2.75% of the amount of the transaction. We will also deduct a service charge of £1.50 from your account immediately for each transaction.

Not sure I like that.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:08 am
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SoJohn
Hi All,

Just trying to get the best deal here. I currently bank with Halifax for both my current account (visa debit) and credit card (mastercard)

I'm not sure on their charges (waiting for a reply) but while I wait I thought it would be interesting to know, from people with experience, what charges, if any, each bank charges.

Just to clarify. This is for withdrawing money from ATMs in Spain with UK bank cards.
My understanding is that Nationawide do not charge to withdraw money from your UK account through a Spanish ATM and that you get business level exchange rate.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:27 am
Click my Signature

sjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lochy
My understanding is that Nationawide do not charge to withdraw money from your UK account through a Spanish ATM and that you get business level exchange rate.
I can confirm that. Wendy has a Nationwide account just for our past trips to Spain. It works out very well if you are banking in UK but visiting Spain a lot and don't want to open a Spanish bank account. NO charge for drawing in Spain - just a conversion at a preferential rate.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, I will have a look into that.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:52 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoJohn
Thanks, I will have a look into that.
Lloyds bank never charge us for Spain or Gib on our debit card.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
It must depend on your account then - I certainly get charged. When we first moved out here we opened a Nationwide Flex account and their Visa account as suggested on this site and have been more than happy. No charges at all.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

helen17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nationwide dont charge me, lloyds tsb do - and they have just notified they are upping their charges as well - cheeky watsnames!
Nationwide every time!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Dirty Dick is an unknown quantity at this point

Nationwide don't charge through BANK ATMs, but be careful if you use one in a supermarket or bar.

If you use your Nationwide card tp pay a bill in a shop or retaurant an they offer to charge in Euros OR Sterling, then pick Euros as Nationwide choose the exchange rate (anf they are always very good) , otherwise the Spanish bank choose the exchange rate ( and that is always poor)
Old Jun 27th 2007, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dirty Dick
Nationwide don't charge through BANK ATMs, but be careful if you use one in a supermarket or bar.

If you use your Nationwide card tp pay a bill in a shop or retaurant an they offer to charge in Euros OR Sterling, then pick Euros as Nationwide choose the exchange rate (anf they are always very good) , otherwise the Spanish bank choose the exchange rate ( and that is always poor)
Same applies to some of the ATMs now - you get a choice.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 5:25 am
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sjrw
I can confirm that. Wendy has a Nationwide account just for our past trips to Spain. It works out very well if you are banking in UK but visiting Spain a lot and don't want to open a Spanish bank account. NO charge for drawing in Spain - just a conversion at a preferential rate.

I can confirm that the nationwide is really good whilst living in Spain because of the no charges abroad policy.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 3:39 pm
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: banks that DON'T charge for withdrawing

Just to add emphasis to what has already been said, we took out a Nationwide credit card about a year ago and have used it in various parts of the world free of charge. When we were in Antigua recently and used it I found when I got back that the rate they used was considerably better than the exchange offices and banks locally. So we have now changed our current account to Nationwide as well so we don't pay the bank through the nose for the privilege of using an ATM abroad.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 4:39 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Im with Banco Andalucia and if i have to use a non Telebanco ATM here in spain im better off actually withdrawing from my UK account and paying the 1.75 pounds that HSBC charge. Spanish bank charges are pretty hurrendous. €0.30 to withdraw from my own bank network.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 12:38 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Lloyds charge us for using our card. I very rarely use it but I think they charge around £1 per transaction.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by sam parky
Lloyds charge us for using our card. I very rarely use it but I think they charge around £1 per transaction.
Hi
We have an account with Banco Santander we keep being told that they are going to make it possible to use Abbey National to transfer money. At the moment we have to send our cheque to Santander Haymarket. It takes about 2 weeks for the money to be available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.