British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Banks in Costa Del Sol (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/banks-costa-del-sol-522318/)

MichaelandDawn Mar 17th 2008 8:20 am

Banks in Costa Del Sol

Hi there, i just had a few questions regards banks in Costa Del Sol.

Both my hubby and i, here in the UK bank with the Halifax, and we organise all of our finances through online banking , swapping money around/paying bills etc on the halifax website.

We wondered if there were Halifax banks in the Costa Del Sol, and also whether the Spanish banks used the same facility of "on line banking", as it would suit us to be able to transfer money to the UK etc. Can you do this from one country to another though i wonder??

That aside, what are the most popular banks for people running a small business on the Costa Del Sol, and is it advisable to have a separate savings account, or do people tend to just have the one "current account" so to speak?

Thanks in advance xx:thumbup:

AndyMan Mar 17th 2008 9:18 am

Re: Banks in Costa Del Sol

Dont know where abouts you are moving to but there is a branch of the Halifax in Arroy del la meil, Benalmaden. You can open an account through the Uk Halifax (I did this before coming out here.) you can transfer money from the UK to Spain free of charge, but as with all Spanish banks (it seems) you get charged for everything after that. Have a look at their website halifax.es to see a list of branches.

Cheers

john1979 Mar 17th 2008 2:22 pm

I'm with the Sol bank all along the coast. Been excellent all English speaking staff if you do struggle etc. I have the prestige account what works well for me and has online banking etc.

Search Sol bank on google and it is all in English and has all the info. I know of a few on here with them. Though there are plenty of banks around. Their is a Barclay's 2 minutes from me also.

John

Econ Mar 17th 2008 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by MichaelandDawn (Post 6072885)
... and also whether the Spanish banks used the same facility of "on line banking", as it would suit us to be able to transfer money to the UK etc. Can you do this from one country to another though i wonder??

Generally Spanish banks do have 'on-line' banking, the degree of this 'on-line' depends on the bank, for example some banks just permit the transfer of funds within Spain and not internationally.

If you do set this up then make sure the bank you use for your 'on-line' banking has auto sms notifications for transactions made from the on-line service, I cannot emphasise enough the importance of security with on-line banking

Hope this helps. :)

Pugsy Mar 17th 2008 8:56 pm

Halifax has lots of branches in Spain and you can open your account before you go. Phone transfers from your UK account will take 2 working days, sometimes 3 to arrive. Halifax Espana also has online banking, but international transfers can't be done online with them unfortunately.