British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Banking and PSD2 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/banking-psd2-929342/)

Alectryon Nov 18th 2019 8:11 am

Banking and PSD2

I have received a communication from my bank - on my mobile - telling me of an important notification - PSD2 - but is does not tell me what - if anything - I have to do or how to do it.

Any information would be most gratefully received.. Thanks

bolton wanderer Nov 18th 2019 9:11 am

Re: Banking and PSD2

Originally Posted by Alectryon (Post 12765305)
I have received a communication from my bank - on my mobile - telling me of an important notification - PSD2 - but is does not tell me what - if anything - I have to do or how to do it.

I think it's something to do with the bank increasing security to access your online account. We had something similar with our UK bank account.

Loafing Along Nov 18th 2019 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Alectryon (Post 12765305)

It is a part of an EU wide move to increase security and transparency of transactions . Normally means an extra step when you shop online etc - comes as a text message with code to be inserted at the end of the transaction. Also may be required when you access your account online having not done so for some time. Again typically a code is sent to your mobile before you can complete the log-in process.

These enhanced security measures are only part of the whole programme to do with the development of a single payment market across the EU , the process is by no means over yet. Eventually reach the stage at which any online purchase transaction you do will automatically fill your bank details for the merchant and you then carry out final verification step

Alectryon Nov 18th 2019 2:26 pm

Thank you for your information. I went to my bank this morning and was told that I have to do nothing - it's very strange. I buy very little on-line so I'll just wait until the next time that I do and see what happens.

Barriej Nov 18th 2019 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Loafing Along (Post 12765441)
It is a part of an EU wide move to increase security and transparency of transactions . Normally means an extra step when you shop online etc - comes as a text message with code to be inserted at the end of the transaction. Also may be required when you access your account online having not done so for some time. Again typically a code is sent to your mobile before you can complete the log-in process.

These enhanced security measures are only part of the whole programme to do with the development of a single payment market across the EU , the process is by no means over yet. Eventually reach the stage at which any online purchase transaction you do will automatically fill your bank details for the merchant and you then carry out final verification step

I had the same message from Banco Santander but I cannot comply with it , as they require a Spanish mobile number. At the moment I have a non resident account as we haven't made the permanent move yet.
I asked at the Bank as was told not to worry but I should be careful if I order anything online from my Spanish account.

bolton wanderer Nov 18th 2019 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Barriej (Post 12765539)
I had the same message from Banco Santander but I cannot comply with it , as they require a Spanish mobile number. At the moment I have a non resident account as we haven't made the permanent move yet.
I asked at the Bank as was told not to worry but I should be careful if I order anything online from my Spanish account.

Are you sure they need a Spanish mobile? I had my UK mobile paired with my Sabadell account via the sabadell app (google play). I had to verify certain operations via my mobile.
Sabadell are a good bank, if you don't mind the charges, it was only their increase to €140 per year that was the final straw for me.

tebo53 Nov 18th 2019 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by bolton wanderer (Post 12765563)
Are you sure they need a Spanish mobile? I had my UK mobile paired with my Sabadell account via the sabadell app (google play). I had to verify certain operations via my mobile.
Sabadell are a good bank, if you don't mind the charges, it was only their increase to €140 per year that was the final straw for me.

I also have a Sabadell account and online banking. They accepted my UK mobile number. They occasionally send a code number that I need to enter to finalise a transaction.

Steve