Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A banker with humility

A banker with humility

Old Apr 12th 2013, 10:43 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A banker with humility

Oh yes you did !

Oh no I didn't !

This is all very confusing to me on my umpteenth nip of brandy of the night.

Guess I'd better just pull the plug and go to bed.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 6:32 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Just to put these figures in perspective,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...s-figures.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ed-shamed.html

Perhaps to your great surprise, trade union members do not expect the heads of their organisation to work for peanuts. I worked for one of the unions you have listed (and one of its predecessors) for 20 years. During that time, we had one very left wing activist who stood for election several times as General Secretary against the incumbent (who is still in office as the members have voted for him to continue) on a platform that included a pledge that he would take no more than his current social worker's salary. The members didn't want to know.
Len McCluskey, head of Unite - Britains largest union, has been re-elected with 64% of the votes cast.
Except only 15% of the membership voted.
So elected with a mandate of only 10% of the 1.5million membership.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-members.html

So it seems Unite will continue to pass its members subscriptions to The Labour Party who have benefited by £8.5million over the past 2.5years

perhaps we should be looking for a union leader with humility, but not Mr McCluskey, who is leading a campaign for a General Strike.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:29 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Len McCluskey, head of Unite - Britains largest union, has been re-elected with 64% of the votes cast.
Except only 15% of the membership voted.
So elected with a mandate of only 10% of the 1.5million membership.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-members.html

So it seems Unite will continue to pass its members subscriptions to The Labour Party who have benefited by £8.5million over the past 2.5years

perhaps we should be looking for a union leader with humility, but not Mr McCluskey, who is leading a campaign for a General Strike.
Good post.

Typical trade union tactics with hard core extremists taking full advantage of any complacency by it's members.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Not saying all union leaders are paragons of virtue, but it's funny how all the people who slag them off are always happy to accept the benefits the unions win for them. I've never met anyone who turned down a pay rise negotiated by the union.

And if the majority of members can't be bothered to vote, or stand for office themselves, they have only themselves to blame, don't they?
Old Apr 16th 2013, 11:34 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Not saying all union leaders are paragons of virtue, but it's funny how all the people who slag them off are always happy to accept the benefits the unions win for them. I've never met anyone who turned down a pay rise negotiated by the union.

And if the majority of members can't be bothered to vote, or stand for office themselves, they have only themselves to blame, don't they?
Pretty standard excuses for Union greed and unnecessary disruption.

Obviously the extremists will always insist on having their say, exercising their power and throwing as much weight around as possible, so any complaints by the peace-loving members who are content with the status quo would leave them quickly getting trampled underfoot and possibly humiliated.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 3:14 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Pretty standard excuses for Union greed and unnecessary disruption.

Obviously the extremists will always insist on having their say, exercising their power and throwing as much weight around as possible, so any complaints by the peace-loving members who are content with the status quo would leave them quickly getting trampled underfoot and possibly humiliated.
and that is why when people leave - forced or of their own accord - their current employer they generally resign from union membership.
it seems to be fine for the cleaners, security guards, cooks, council workers etc, but many other technical jobs where people "have to" become members (I know closed shops are illegal but .......... they tend to leave.
I became a member of a union because the company was mucking about with pensions, altering dates and rights prior to a merger, subsequently the stronger of the 2 parts of the new business started all over again.
As I have said before, they see no glory in small number problems, cave in despite promises, or as in my pay case - just walk away.

this is why the unions are generally on a downer, they truly don't support the membership, many of whom feel no matter what they put, how they vote, the Red McCluskey's will continue to get in.

But then it is the same with the small shareholder in major companies, what the CEO and his glove puppets want those controlling large blocks of shares, after much lunching, lap dancing and drinks, will give in to them. PIRC did perk up a bit a year or two ago, but have gone back to their normal dormancy.