Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Bank want to link savinngs account with increase in CC limit

Bank want to link savinngs account with increase in CC limit

Old May 10th 2016, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bank want to link savinngs account with increase in CC limit

Because we are travelling to the USA in September, I applied for a second Credit Card from my bank just to covered for car hire and hotel check-in needs, despite both being fully paid for in advance as I know in the USA much store is placed upon a valid and credit worthy CC. As I have a Mastercard I applied for a a Visa.
My "personal manager" at the bank responded by saying that I would need "insurance" in the form of a separate savings account.
As an alternative option, last week I went to my banking online service and applied for an increase in my current CC's limit for one month only.
I must state that I have sufficient funds and more in my current account to cover any increased in the CC limit.
Of course and perhaps inevitably nothing works simply online and I was told that my local office would contact me. Today I received an email asking for an appointment as I would need to open a " deposit/savings plan" for the period of the increase in limit after which the limit would return to its normal level and presumably, although I don't know, the savings account would be closed and I would withdraw my money.
Anyone had experience of this as I'm just wary that it is a way of getting me to open a savings plan which would be in effect a financial product?
I just don't trust banks' motives.
Comments or advice please?
Thanks.
Old May 10th 2016, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank want to link savinngs account with increase in CC limit

Look at it from the bank's point of view - they need additional collateral to protect themselves if they are effectively doubling your credit limit. It may also have something to do with ensuring that your credit score/creditworthiness is sufficient for the additional potential debt.
Seems reasonable to me.
Old May 10th 2016, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bank want to link savinngs account with increase in CC limit

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Look at it from the bank's point of view - they need additional collateral to protect themselves if they are effectively doubling your credit limit. It may also have something to do with ensuring that your credit score/creditworthiness is sufficient for the additional potential debt.
Seems reasonable to me.
Yes, I see your point. Just needed an opinion. Thanks for that.