Bank Transfers

Old Mar 12th 2006, 1:56 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank Transfers

Originally Posted by NicCol
I am transferring banks, which is probably why the Banca March are trying to charge so much. Interestingly though, I contacted them, as Dazzle suggested, and basically asked if they were sure, and they have brought it down to 65 euros. Hmmm...
Draw it out in cash, leave a few € in and deposit rest in new bank.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jdr
Draw it out in cash, leave a few € in and deposit rest in new bank.
Cash isn't an option at the moment as we are in England. Though keeping a small amount in will be a good idea!
Old Mar 13th 2006, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

They do like charging here for every transation and every bit of paper! But if you need for future...halifax in uk to halifax banco here is free for transfering money.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

Originally Posted by j0197
They do like charging here for every transation and every bit of paper! But if you need for future...halifax in uk to halifax banco here is free for transfering money.
We are currently with Banesto...it was purely for convenience at the time when buying the house in Spain. We will however be changing banks when we move over to one that is cheaper to opperate. At present, we are paying 4.50 euros for every transaction, eg electricity every two months. The account is a non residents account which is probably why they are charging extorionate amounts, however I must add in their favour that I can email the manager at anytime and ask any questions. She can speak very good English and well up on house buying matters. Does anyone else use Banesto?
Mary
Old Mar 13th 2006, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for your help (and for saving me money!!)
Old Mar 13th 2006, 7:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maryg
We are currently with Banesto...it was purely for convenience at the time when buying the house in Spain. We will however be changing banks when we move over to one that is cheaper to opperate. At present, we are paying 4.50 euros for every transaction, eg electricity every two months. The account is a non residents account which is probably why they are charging extorionate amounts, however I must add in their favour that I can email the manager at anytime and ask any questions. She can speak very good English and well up on house buying matters. Does anyone else use Banesto?
Mary
I got a similar acc at Bancopopular, no charge for transactions they charge 8 € a year non res payment and hold 15% of interest for the nice taxman.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:11 am
gfx
Just Joined

gfx is an unknown quantity at this point

NicCol, like other people have said - Do the Halifax thing - open a british Halifax account (or Bank of Scotland) and a Banco Halifax - it's possible to do transfers from Halifax to Banco Halifax for free & over the phone (don't know about the other way round but why would you?). You can also check both accounts on the information super web (you can't initiate transfers on the web). When you make a transfer they speak in english are very helpful and tell you exactly the rate etc. The Banco Halifax account is a genuine spanish account so you can use it to automatically pay for insurance, gas, elec, telephone etc. You can also withdraw euros from Servired cashpoints without charge.

Regards, Graham

Originally Posted by NicCol
I would if anyone could help please. I have just asked my bank to transfer a sum of money from my account to another spanish bank, also in my name, and they have told me that they will be charging me 100-150 euros for the transfer. Does this sound right? If it does, is there a cheaper way to do it, i.e. cheque?

Thanks