British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Bank Transfers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/bank-transfers-360336/)

NicCol Mar 10th 2006 12:42 pm

Bank Transfers

I would if anyone could help please. I have just asked my bank to transfer a sum of money from my account to another spanish bank, also in my name, and they have told me that they will be charging me 100-150 euros for the transfer. Does this sound right? If it does, is there a cheaper way to do it, i.e. cheque?

Thanks

dazzle Mar 10th 2006 1:28 pm

Re: Bank Transfers

Sorry NicCol, I'm not sure waht you mean. Is that a transfer between 2 spanish banks?

If so my bank charges me 1€ for such a transaction so yes it does seem very high!

Nige Mar 10th 2006 1:32 pm

Who are you banking with ?
:)

poollounger Mar 10th 2006 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by NicCol
I would if anyone could help please. I have just asked my bank to transfer a sum of money from my account to another spanish bank, also in my name, and they have told me that they will be charging me 100-150 euros for the transfer. Does this sound right? If it does, is there a cheaper way to do it, i.e. cheque?

Thanks

If Spanish bank to Spanish bank it sounds outrageous..though they do charge for everything. If it is making a payment from Britain to Spain, then better to use a company like HIFX who can guarantee no transfer charges at this end, and no receiving charges at the other.

dazzle Mar 10th 2006 2:48 pm

Yes, but even when doing an immediate transfer from my UK Bank to Spain. I telephone my bank manager, am charged £20 in the UK and nothing in Spain so 100€ still seems excessive.

sunnysenorita Mar 10th 2006 3:47 pm

We have an account with the Halifax in Spain and bank transfers are free if you bank with Halifax UK or the affiliates eg. RBS.

Chiclanagir Mar 10th 2006 4:02 pm

If a large sum use HIFX or Currencies Direct. Free transfer and better rate of exchange.

gazzpfc Mar 10th 2006 4:14 pm

My bank charged me £30 to transfer £1000 to Spain at the other end 2 euros

poollounger Mar 10th 2006 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by dazzle
Yes, but even when doing an immediate transfer from my UK Bank to Spain. I telephone my bank manager, am charged £20 in the UK and nothing in Spain so 100€ still seems excessive.

Who do you bank with at each end ???

NicCol Mar 10th 2006 6:01 pm

The transfer is from Banca March to Caja Madrid. So its a spanish bank to spanish bank.

dazzle Mar 10th 2006 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by poollounger
Who do you bank with at each end ???

NatWest in the UK and Bankinter in Spain so nothing out of the ordinary.

NicCol, have you checked with Banca Marche because that certainly does seem a ridiculous amount. I often transfer money via the internet from my Bankinter account to another spanish bank and I'm always charged 1€ regardless of the amount of the transfer.

NicCol Mar 10th 2006 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by dazzle
NatWest in the UK and Bankinter in Spain so nothing out of the ordinary.

NicCol, have you checked with Banca Marche because that certainly does seem a ridiculous amount. I often transfer money via the internet from my Bankinter account to another spanish bank and I'm always charged 1€ regardless of the amount of the transfer.

I have just e-mailled them to check. I don't know whu they have given such a broad range of the potential costs, 100-150 euros!!? :confused:

meseta Mar 11th 2006 7:09 am

I have used on line banking within Spain for a while now and it costs 1 euro per transfer. Have you explored this possibility ?

It's instant and you know it's actually been done !

joka Mar 11th 2006 2:45 pm

Thanks

Change to Halifax bank in England. then open a Halifax Hispania Bank account, transfers between the 2 made quickly by telephone are free!! We did this and have no complaints.

NicCol Mar 12th 2006 9:25 am

I am transferring banks, which is probably why the Banca March are trying to charge so much. Interestingly though, I contacted them, as Dazzle suggested, and basically asked if they were sure, and they have brought it down to 65 euros. Hmmm...

jdr Mar 12th 2006 1:56 pm

I am transferring banks, which is probably why the Banca March are trying to charge so much. Interestingly though, I contacted them, as Dazzle suggested, and basically asked if they were sure, and they have brought it down to 65 euros. Hmmm...

Draw it out in cash, leave a few € in and deposit rest in new bank.

NicCol Mar 12th 2006 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
Draw it out in cash, leave a few € in and deposit rest in new bank.

Cash isn't an option at the moment as we are in England. Though keeping a small amount in will be a good idea!

j0197 Mar 13th 2006 8:02 am

They do like charging here for every transation and every bit of paper! But if you need for future...halifax in uk to halifax banco here is free for transfering money.

maryg Mar 13th 2006 8:10 am

Originally Posted by j0197
They do like charging here for every transation and every bit of paper! But if you need for future...halifax in uk to halifax banco here is free for transfering money.

We are currently with Banesto...it was purely for convenience at the time when buying the house in Spain. We will however be changing banks when we move over to one that is cheaper to opperate. At present, we are paying 4.50 euros for every transaction, eg electricity every two months. The account is a non residents account which is probably why they are charging extorionate amounts, however I must add in their favour that I can email the manager at anytime and ask any questions. She can speak very good English and well up on house buying matters. Does anyone else use Banesto?
Mary

NicCol Mar 13th 2006 7:11 pm

Thanks everyone for your help (and for saving me money!!)

jdr Mar 13th 2006 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by maryg
We are currently with Banesto...it was purely for convenience at the time when buying the house in Spain. We will however be changing banks when we move over to one that is cheaper to opperate. At present, we are paying 4.50 euros for every transaction, eg electricity every two months. The account is a non residents account which is probably why they are charging extorionate amounts, however I must add in their favour that I can email the manager at anytime and ask any questions. She can speak very good English and well up on house buying matters. Does anyone else use Banesto?
Mary

I got a similar acc at Bancopopular, no charge for transactions ;) they charge 8 € a year non res payment and hold 15% of interest for the nice taxman.

gfx Mar 16th 2006 9:11 am

NicCol, like other people have said - Do the Halifax thing - open a british Halifax account (or Bank of Scotland) and a Banco Halifax - it's possible to do transfers from Halifax to Banco Halifax for free & over the phone (don't know about the other way round but why would you?). You can also check both accounts on the information super web (you can't initiate transfers on the web). When you make a transfer they speak in english are very helpful and tell you exactly the rate etc. The Banco Halifax account is a genuine spanish account so you can use it to automatically pay for insurance, gas, elec, telephone etc. You can also withdraw euros from Servired cashpoints without charge.

Regards, Graham

Thanks