Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Which bank to open an account with ?

Which bank to open an account with ?

Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:29 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which bank to open an account with ?

Originally Posted by St. John
May I ask why you say that? I was ripped off mercilessly by Unicaja but la Caixa have been a Godsend. Would be interested to know why you have such a low opinion of the caja's.

Thanks
Many of the smaller Cajas, especially in Andalucia, have or are failing. Only amalgamations with the bigger ones have saved them. Many are heavily reliant on mortgage debt which is not being paid and their book value of properties is well out of date and massively overvalued.

A local Caja where I live is throwing thousands of repossessions on to the market which are not selling, probably because they are grossly overvalued. And property prices are still falling.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

IB99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HBG
A local Caja where I live is throwing thousands of repossessions on to the market which are not selling, probably because they are grossly overvalued. And property prices are still falling.
Perhaps I should not be buying at all, or not yet, but I suppose that is a topic for another thread !
Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

truckergareth is a jewel in the roughtruckergareth is a jewel in the roughtruckergareth is a jewel in the roughtruckergareth is a jewel in the roughtruckergareth is a jewel in the rough

I banked with Solbank for 5 years and had nothing but trouble with them, even 1 instance whilst in the USA for 2 months they stopped my card and would not put it back on until I went to my local branch and collected a new one. The reason for stopping the card was as it had been used out of Spain they thought it had been stolen! They did not give a monkeys that I was stuck in the USA without being able to access my funds. Found their charges over the top too. I have been with Santander for just over 2 years and have found them very helpful, no charges and have a good relationship with all. I have now transfered our bussiness account to them too and opened a Dollar account.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jur
Second that!

Also very unhappy with Unicaja & Bancaja but this has more to do with incompetent employees. Many expensive muck up´s!

Happy with BBVA.

I have been with Bancaja for the last eight years and have found them to be wonderful and now intend to bring over money from my British Bank which only guarantees me 50,000 pounds if they go broke although they are still paying huge bonuses to their staff. I was very happily with Santander for the eleven years I lived in Oliva so I may give them a second chance. Don't touch Bankinter they gave all the money in our ac count to a man in the Canaries because he had the same name as my husband and didn't check his signature It took over a month to get the money back which we quickly withdrew and closed the account. they never apologised and denied that such people as hackers existed although neither of us have ever been to the Canaries and our account was in Torrevieja.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

barneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by missile
I have tried a few banks and now use Barclays.es.

They offer good services for the ex-pat and charge me nada > https://www.barclays.es/publico/cont...jsp?lang=en_UK
How does Barclays charge you nada? On that link it says it costs €20 per quarter.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barneysmum
How does Barclays charge you nada? On that link it says it costs €20 per quarter.
Good question.

I bank with Barclays and they charge me for all transactions, a maintenance fee, annual charge for my debit cards and anything else they can think of.

When I was over last week I pointed this out to the Manager as Barclays are advertising free banking for new customers and I suggested he should reduce my charges. His response was to shrug his shoulders and refuse despite my threat to change Banks that I now intend to do.

In the UK I do not incur any charges.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

IB99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Good question.

I bank with Barclays and they charge me for all transactions, a maintenance fee, annual charge for my debit cards and anything else they can think of.

When I was over last week I pointed this out to the Manager as Barclays are advertising free banking for new customers and I suggested he should reduce my charges. His response was to shrug his shoulders and refuse despite my threat to change Banks that I now intend to do.

In the UK I do not incur any charges.
So, who are you going to change to ?
Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IB99
So, who are you going to change to ?
Immediately after I posted I went on Barclays es website. Perhaps I should have done that before my last post!

According to that they offer existing customers 4 different ways to benefit as an existing customer subject to circumstances etc. and invite you to 'enquire at any branch to see what suits you best'.

On the basis that I have a healthy balance I should receive most if not all of the benefits. Next time I am over I shall point this out and subject to their response decide what to do.

I will probably go with Santander as I have a Uk account with them if Barclays remain unhelpful

What it does show is the poor customer service I received that makes my Uk banks seem positively user friendly.