Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Bank account embargoed.

Bank account embargoed.

Old Oct 23rd 2009, 6:09 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bank account embargoed.

http://www.roundtownnews.co.uk/index...21115&Itemid=9

I’ve read a story like this one several times and have personal knowledge of similar ones. It doesn’t matter how honest you are, you can be caught by the system and should be aware of the dangers.

What the Turners should have done was to send a registered letter, in Spanish, to trafico, along with their denuncia, when the first speeding ticker arrived. They should also have informed Suma by registered letter, again enclosing their denuncia.

But, would any of us expats have known that? And I’m not even sure that the above would have stopped them losing their money.

But, most importantly, you can’t risk having your bank account suddenly embargoed through no fault of your own. We were going to change our UK bank accounts to have them transferred to Spain, after reading the above story, I’m pleased we didn’t.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

LittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Bank account embargoed.

Something similar has happened to me. Having overpaid taxes, I requested a refund on my tax return. Instead of a refund, they sent me a bill for the same amount plus an additional charge for not paying the money that I didn´t owe them. Account was embargoed, money withdrawn. I have made three visits to Hacienda office and one each occcasion they acknowledge the error is theirs. What concerns me is that error was acknowledged in writing in July, but the money taken from my account in September. Is there anyone else having this kind of problem ?
Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:47 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday morning, before I read the newspaper article, the postman called to deliver a registered letter. She’s a new one and had the clipboard ready for me to sign. I looked at the name, Garcia, and told her she had the wrong address. She pointed out that the address was correct and still wanted me to sign for the letter for Senor Garcia, but I’ve been around for long enough to refuse, much to her annoyance.

I know all about Senor Garcia. When we bought our house ten years ago, we started getting letters for him and forwarded them to the previous owner. He explained that Garcia was a distant cousin who had used the address to open a bank account and obtain a car loan.

For the past ten years, around twice a year, registered letters arrive for Garcia. Around three or four years ago, two debt collectors arrived and things got really nasty when I tried to explain to them that Garcia didn’t live at our house. Apart from wanting to come on to our property to check, they wanted my bank account details and asked me to sign all sorts of daft papers. Luckily I’m a big man with sufficient Spanish to send them on their way.

I’ve not had my Spanish bank account embargoed, but the tax authorities threatened to when I refused to pay the tax for a car I had sold two years previously. I consulted a lawyer who advised me to pay, but also told me how to de-register the car. When I asked my bank manager what would have happened with the embargo, he shrugged his shoulders and said, “It’s the law.”

It would make sense to have more than one bank account, and also to have some emergency money hidden around the house, because if your only bank account is frozen through no fault of your own, and you can’t get money out, you could starve to death by the time an expensive lawyer sorts it all out.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

We had 360 euros taken from our Banca March account for a fine we didn´t know anything about as it had taken place 4 years previously and we had received no paperwork.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

the banks are a law unto themselves here. having lived in spain for over eight years i think i have some idea of how they operate. i have had money(small sums)go out of my account on numerous occassions,and when i go to the bank to ask where it is going, i get the shrug.
so now i keep only enough to pay current bills in my spanish account,topping it up when it is needed and i am feeling so much safer. i also get mail(sometimes registered,sometimes not)for the previous owner,but never accept it. if it is left in my postbox,i return it to the post office in the village immediately.
we didn't come here to hide money about the house "just in case" and the day i think we may have to do that is the day i jolly well take meself oft. the spanish are funny where money is concerned. ole.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 1:04 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

How terrible, never heard of that until now.

My god, my business is my bank account.

I`m glad I read this for sure that`ll be a big issue if we move to Spain.

Is this something happening only too Expats ?

Do Spanish people put up with this level of incompetance ?

Last edited by chulo; Oct 24th 2009 at 1:07 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

sabarda has a spectacular aura aboutsabarda has a spectacular aura aboutsabarda has a spectacular aura about

I'm afraid we do
Old Oct 24th 2009, 4:09 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Touch wood, we've had no problems yet .... but its something thats in the back of my mind and I dont leave too much money in our account here. Always check your account regularly as well
Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:23 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Why do they have such a draconian law, surely thats against human rights to impose an Embargo on personnal accounts without evidence.

I`d be pi**ed if they did that, all the way to the European Courts.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:27 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I didn’t want to panic anyone, but to be safe takes very little effort. When my Spanish bank manager shrugged his shoulders and said, “It’s the law,” I shook his hand, crossed over the road and opened another account.

I’ve got something like 300 Euros indoors permanently, which I regard as a ‘float’ and keep topped up. All my documents are copied in case I lose them.

So, when I sit on the terrace of a Spanish restaurant, overlooking the sea, feeling as though I’m on top of the world, I don’t have to worry about embargoes, or robos, or some low-life stealing my car and racing up and down the A7 for two years incurring speeding fines I have to pay.

As for the road tax, surely the thief using the car should pay? Maybe if they eventually catch him, he will.