Which Bank??

Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Eugene Kaufmann is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which Bank??

If you are not already a Santander UK customer, do NOT become one. Since being taken over by Santander Espana, though their business is ring-fenced their customer service is absolutely appalling. If you have a Santander UK bank account before moving to Spain, CHANGE IT to any other major UK bank before emigrating. You have been warned!!

My Santander UK Debit Card expired on 31.12.2011. I have been a member of the same bank since the old Girobank (now Santander UK) days. Despite numerous telephone calls, secure messages and letters, plus absolutely identical emails from them every few days - I still do NOT HAVE, 50 days later, a replacement Debit Card. They have been conducting an inquiry - as if I would somehow be interested in the results! An MBNA Credit Card, in contrast, recently took 8 days to reach me, automatically replaced, from door to door.

It is quite scary living in a foreign country with no access to your money, your pension for so long. Nothing I say to them makes the slightest difference, and I am still without any money. Have made a formal complaint to the Ombudsman. In effect, they have no Customer Service, and what they do have is restricted to sending out reams of identical messages, saying that they are doing the utmost to resolve the problem. But of course, I either have a Debit Card or don't have one.

STAY AWAY FROM THEM if you need to preserve your sanity! I kid you not!
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Bank??

Originally Posted by Eugene Kaufmann
If you are not already a Santander UK customer, do NOT become one. Since being taken over by Santander Espana, though their business is ring-fenced their customer service is absolutely appalling. If you have a Santander UK bank account before moving to Spain, CHANGE IT to any other major UK bank before emigrating. You have been warned!!

My Santander UK Debit Card expired on 31.12.2011. I have been a member of the same bank since the old Girobank (now Santander UK) days. Despite numerous telephone calls, secure messages and letters, plus absolutely identical emails from them every few days - I still do NOT HAVE, 50 days later, a replacement Debit Card. They have been conducting an inquiry - as if I would somehow be interested in the results! An MBNA Credit Card, in contrast, recently took 8 days to reach me, automatically replaced, from door to door.

It is quite scary living in a foreign country with no access to your money, your pension for so long. Nothing I say to them makes the slightest difference, and I am still without any money. Have made a formal complaint to the Ombudsman. In effect, they have no Customer Service, and what they do have is restricted to sending out reams of identical messages, saying that they are doing the utmost to resolve the problem. But of course, I either have a Debit Card or don't have one.

They may be investigating because you have a UK resident account with them but are living full time in Spain. This is against the terms and conditions of the account. Normally you must be UK resident to have a UK current account
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:31 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

I also had enormous problems with santander UK after it took over Girobank. Nothing would ever induce me to use them again. As you say they have no idea on customer service.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:37 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
They may be investigating because you have a UK resident account with them but are living full time in Spain. This is against the terms and conditions of the account. Normally you must be UK resident to have a UK current account
You could be correct about why they are investigating but I disagree with you about needing to be a UK resident to have a UK current account. I was with the Abbey whilst living in the UK for many years, I changed my address to my address in Spain and continued using the account prior to them being taken over. I have had no difficulties whatsoever with the account since Santander took over.

Rosemary
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sujee
I also had enormous problems with santander UK after it took over Girobank. Nothing would ever induce me to use them again. As you say they have no idea on customer service.
Isn't this true of too many Spanish businesses
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cricketman
Thankyou cricketman. You misunderstand. You're quite able to keep a UK account legitimately provided it was opened in UK prior to emigrating. Santander were informed of my change of address six months before moving to Spain, other ex-pats have UK bank accounts all over Spain without the slightest problem and no hassle from anyone. My UK pensions have been paid into my Santander UK bank account for two years and I simply withdraw the money from any ATM in Spain without problems. My account statement have been sent regularly to this address in Spain.

The simple problem for me is that my Debit Card EXPIRED on 31.12.2011. They have sent me a new PIN and constantly say they have sent me a new card. They've now sent me a THIRD card without it arriving here. They ignored my very first message! I agree that you must be a resident of UK to OPEN a current account, but thousands of ex=pats in Spain have UK accounts that they opened BEFORE moving to Spain - like us.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Isn't this true of too many Spanish businesses

Yes unfortunately it is, but it's not a Spanish business at all - completely ring-fenced from Santander Espana, as I found out to my cost when I tried to bring up this "problem" with them. Santander UK are totally inefficient - there's a website, as you might know, totally dedicated to these timewaster.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

irlanda is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry to hear of your difficulties ,which must be very frustrating.
Whilst not resident in Spain ,we have a holiday home there for past 5 years.
we have always found our Bank to be courteous and efficient ie Bancaja
who are now called---------

Bankia
Medico Rey Garcia
21400 Ayamnte
tel 0034 959641176
www.bankia.com

the bank is very conveniently located facing the river ,and staff have excellent english. Perhaps a fresh banking start,-- in a new country ---would help you, rather than beating your head against a stone wall [Santander?]
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:04 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Why not use Internet (online) banking to get at your money? I do this all the time with Santander and have no problems at all.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
You could be correct about why they are investigating but I disagree with you about needing to be a UK resident to have a UK current account. I was with the Abbey whilst living in the UK for many years, I changed my address to my address in Spain and continued using the account prior to them being taken over. I have had no difficulties whatsoever with the account since Santander took over.

Rosemary
I don't think it matters if you are not a UK resident when it comes to keeping on a current account with any of the banks, it's only a problem when you want to open a new account. I kept my existing account with First Direct after I moved to Spain without any problems.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by irlanda
sorry to hear of your difficulties ,which must be very frustrating.
Whilst not resident in Spain ,we have a holiday home there for past 5 years.
we have always found our Bank to be courteous and efficient ie Bancaja
who are now called---------

Bankia
Medico Rey Garcia
21400 Ayamnte
tel 0034 959641176
www.bankia.com

the bank is very conveniently located facing the river ,and staff have excellent english. Perhaps a fresh banking start,-- in a new country ---would help you, rather than beating your head against a stone wall [Santander?]
That's very kind of you to send me that - just had an offer of £10 from Santander to compensate me for weeks of stress and anxiety!!! Can't get to it of course, no Debit Card!!!! Have made a note of Bankia, but we live near Ourense in Galicia, so it depends if they're reasonably well-covered up here. Will follow it up (no choice if I want my money!). Thankyou!
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Why not use Internet (online) banking to get at your money? I do this all the time with Santander and have no problems at all.
I can transfer money from my online account for say, a Credit Card bill or some other payee. Simply by setting up a Payee sort code and account number.

Problem is I AM THE ONE WHO WANTS MY CASH FOR MYSELF, in my hand to buy groceries etc. I could get cash constantly via an ATM with my credit card, but costs would be excessive, 29% in one case for Visa.

A Debit Card from Santander: a kingdom for!!! I used it here for two years without problems, but they don't seem to realise that when the expiry date comes up, they're expired. Wasn't sent to me automatically on expiry either, as most other banks do. How long do I live on my savings before I have to change to some other bank with a debit card facility in Spain, before I can get my two monthly pensions? Any other Bank except Santander would have the card to me in an instant. Thus my first posting - a dire warning about them! Have put a complaint in to Ombudsman, and constant emails to Santander Complaints - but STILL NO CARD!!! Such a simple problem, but apparently unsolvable! Anger has now given way to fright. That bank is scary!!

People on these boards are very helpful, but some are reluctant to admit that Santander is just crap - and dangerously so.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 5:20 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou cricketman. You misunderstand. You're quite able to keep a UK account legitimately provided it was opened in UK prior to emigrating. Santander were informed of my change of address six months before moving to Spain, other ex-pats have UK bank accounts all over Spain without the slightest problem and no hassle from anyone. My UK pensions have been paid into my Santander UK bank account for two years and I simply withdraw the money from any ATM in Spain without problems. My account statement have been sent regularly to this address in Spain.

The simple problem for me is that my Debit Card EXPIRED on 31.12.2011. They have sent me a new PIN and constantly say they have sent me a new card. They've now sent me a THIRD card without it arriving here. They ignored my very first message! I agree that you must be a resident of UK to OPEN a current account, but thousands of ex=pats in Spain have UK accounts that they opened BEFORE moving to Spain - like us.
I have a Santander account in the UK that I opened long after I moved here, and with their full knowledge of that
Old Feb 17th 2012, 5:22 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

People on these boards are very helpful, but some are reluctant to admit that Santander is just crap - and dangerously so.
Maybe conversely some draw conclusions just from their own bad experience of the bank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.