Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Baking supplies

Baking supplies

Old Jul 5th 2011, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough
Default Baking supplies

I am an avid baker but since I have been in Spain I have found it a bit difficult to find places that sell baking items. I guess I am just used to things in North American where I am from but would be interested to know if anyone has come across any shops for baking supplies in Valencia or surrounding area.
thanks!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baking supplies

Originally Posted by fadingstarlight
I am an avid baker but since I have been in Spain I have found it a bit difficult to find places that sell baking items. I guess I am just used to things in North American where I am from but would be interested to know if anyone has come across any shops for baking supplies in Valencia or surrounding area.
thanks!
What kind of baking things are you looking for.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough

places where i can purchase larger bags of flour, sugar, icing sugar etc... cake pans, decorations for on top of cakes, icing bags, premade fondant, cupcake (fairy cake) papers etc....
Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

places where i can purchase larger bags of flour, sugar, icing sugar etc... cake pans, decorations for on top of cakes, icing bags, premade fondant, cupcake (fairy cake) papers etc....
I gave up looking and now stock up when visiting the UK. With regards icing bags make your own from greaseproof paper. There are a couple of sugarcraft websites that will deliver to Spain but the postage can be huge. Icing sugar (and marzipan) can be found here quite easily at supermarkets but it does not have the same texture as UK icing sugar. You can always make your own icing sugar using a grinder. But if you will be doing fine pipework just use a clean pair of tights to seive the icing sugar you have made.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 6:54 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

We found most of these in our local "Chinese bazaars".

Icing sugar we still get from Icelands as the Spanish equivalent is not the same and far more expensive.

For fairy cake papers, we now use the re-usable silicone moulds. When we first came over we had to get these from the internet but you can now find them almost everywhere (and, once again, Chinese bazaars are the cheapest).
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

I just buy normal spanish flour and add baking powder which I get from a shop in Lliria which sells some english food.You can also get fine castor sugar,icing sugar,cake decorations,vanilla essence etc in this shop called Spainsburys.They are online also and I think do deliveries to the city, well they did until now but have changed hands so not absolutely sure.Hope its Ok saying this.I am just one of their customers.

The silicone moulds are good if you want larger cupcakes but normal size paper cases are sold in mercadona.

Good luck.I could not be without a good homemade cake now and again.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

yes I have seen spainsburys and have ordered things from there before. there are a few things I am still looking for that I havent found. I still would like to find larger quantities. i wish I had access to Macro (restaruant supplier) apparently they have large sizes. i remember like years ago carrefour used to sell things in big bags and now everything is smaller and more expensive.

- gel food coloring (it is alot more intense in color and dont have to use as much as liquid. making red velvet)
- extracts : lemon, peppermint. (i bought almond from spainsburys) but i have been told u can buy these things here as well in stores. i have looked at carrefour, lidl, aldi, mercadona and consum.

anyone come across any of this? i do ALOT of baking for gifts and such and it is just costing alot
Old Dec 10th 2011, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

I am sure spainsburys have lemon flavouring at the mo maybe others.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
I am sure spainsburys have lemon flavouring at the mo maybe others.

My lemon flavouring grows about 10 feet outside the front door
Old Dec 10th 2011, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

I still would like to find larger quantities. i wish I had access to Macro (restaruant supplier) apparently they have large sizes.
I was able to buy stuff from a restaurant supply store in Marbella without having a restaurant business. Some of them offer one day guest memberships. Or befriend an English speaking restaurant owner and ask to tag along with them.

Another option is to approach a bakery directly and see if they would be willing to resell some of their supplies to you.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

I found MACRO to be useless and expensive, not like in the UK at all. We take the car to the UK and fill it up with foodstuffs you can't get here.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried looking at the Amazon site - Grocery. If you order over £25.00 with items that are listed as "Free Super Saver Delivery" they will deliver free to Spain. A quick look at the site shows "8 icing colours by Wilton" for £17.75 in the "Cooking and Baking Supplies" sub division of Grocery. All you would need to do is find some other items that bring the price up to £25.00 to get free delivery.

I have used Amazon for Marmite, self-raising flour, 5kg bag of Tilda basmati rice, crisps - it is all a lot cheaper than some of the expat shops because you do not have to pay delivery. Hopefully Amazon will soon start adding further items that can be delivered free. At the moment the range is not wide but the product range for Free Delivery is increasing slowly.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

@AdrianTO I might have to see about befriending a business owner haha. but it is pretty far away. i am in valencia.

@battlezone123 i will look at amazon and see what i can find there.thanks!
@ paintermujer i found some nice paper fairycakes/cupcake holders at casa. they had polka dot and plain red and plain purple. they arent cheap but quite pretty. yes i have seen the mercadona ones.

i might have to make a trip one day to the UK and bring an extra suitcase. I have never been before so it will be nice to go and visit.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Originally Posted by battlezone123
Have you tried looking at the Amazon site - Grocery. If you order over £25.00 with items that are listed as "Free Super Saver Delivery" they will deliver free to Spain. A quick look at the site shows "8 icing colours by Wilton" for £17.75 in the "Cooking and Baking Supplies" sub division of Grocery. All you would need to do is find some other items that bring the price up to £25.00 to get free delivery.
Thank you so much for that tip. I'm a regular Amazon customer but never thought of buying baking supplies from them. They have quite a range of strong baking flours; they look interesting but rather expensive. I have to find a way of storing larger quantities without getting them infested with weevils...
Old Dec 21st 2011, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

has anyone seen predone tart shells?? i saw them once 2 years ago at i think Abordo but havent seen them since. anyone senn them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.