British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Backpaying SS to get cover (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/backpaying-ss-get-cover-709191/)

Veleta Mar 13th 2011 5:14 pm

Backpaying SS to get cover

Can anyone advise me if the following little scenario rings true or not:

British long-term expat living on Costa del Sol. Under 65 years old, has no private medical insurance and hasn't paid social security in ages.

He was recently taken into hospital for emergency treatment (heart attack). The hospital did whatever it is that they do as an emergency measure, but initially refused to operate and put in the stents(?) as he has no SS, but were somehow persuaded and he now has a bill for circa 2000 euros.

He will now need medication for life which will cost a small fortune, but obviously can't get it on the SS as he ain't got none.

Here's the bit I want confirming:

I'm being told that if he backpays 25 months of SS (circa €6000) and starts paying the monthly cuota he will be covered by the SS again for his future heart attack medication.

I suspect I might have to go to the Seg Social and ask, but has anyone heard about this backpaying option and know anything about it?

lynnxa Mar 13th 2011 5:20 pm

Re: Backpaying SS to get cover

Originally Posted by Veleta (Post 9237023)

British long-term expat living on Costa del Sol. Under 65 years old, has no private medical insurance and hasn't paid social security in ages.

He was recently taken into hospital for emergency treatment (heart attack). The hospital did whatever it is that they do as an emergency measure, but initially refused to operate and put in the stents(?) as he has no SS, but were somehow persuaded and he now has a bill for circa 2000 euros.

He will now need medication for life which will cost a small fortune, but obviously can't get it on the SS as he ain't got none.

I'm being told that if he backpays 25 months of SS (circa €6000) and starts paying the monthly cuota he will be covered by the SS again for his future heart attack medication.

I suspect I might have to go to the Seg Social and ask, but has anyone heard about this backpaying option and know anything about it?

awful situation and all too common:(

I've never heard of this 'back-payment' thing, though I'm sure many would be interested in it

also, I thought that, except in the Valencia region, you couldn't just pay a cuota -you actually had to be properly autonomo or on a contract:confused:

megmet Mar 13th 2011 5:23 pm

I can't help you with that one, but that scenario sounds a bit like asking an insurance company that you haven't had any dealings with to pay out when your house has burned down. :confused:

whitelinen Mar 13th 2011 5:51 pm

Did this person ever do a baja from autonomo or just stop paying?

No doesnt make sense to me so find out if he owes anything. Also if is so ill cant work, he wouldnt have to pay monthly cuota because would get signed off sick. Thats apart from SS & Hacienda being unwilling to let people pay cuotas without an activity.

Otherwise just enroll him in the Valencia scheme (assuming thats where he is).

Veleta Mar 13th 2011 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by whitelinen (Post 9237099)
Did this person ever do a baja from autonomo or just stop paying?

No doesnt make sense to me so find out if he owes anything. Also if is so ill cant work, he wouldnt have to pay monthly cuota because would get signed off sick. Thats apart from SS & Hacienda being unwilling to let people pay cuotas without an activity.

Otherwise just enroll him in the Valencia scheme (assuming thats where he is).

Hmm, I don't know whether he did the baja or not, but I suspect he didn't.

He should be paying the monthly quota as he has been self-employed for the last couple of years or so.....just not paying the SS :confused:

whitelinen Mar 13th 2011 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Veleta (Post 9237103)
Hmm, I don't know whether he did the baja or not, but I suspect he didn't.

He should be paying the monthly quota as he has been self-employed for the last couple of years or so.....just not paying the SS :confused:

Do you mean he was never registered as self employed? Because if he was and stopped paying without completing the formalities they will not let him off.

Veleta Mar 13th 2011 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by whitelinen (Post 9237113)
Do you mean he was never registered as self employed? Because if he was and stopped paying without completing the formalities they will not let him off.

He used to be registered. All I know is that he hasn't paid SS for a couple of years, but whether or not he did the baja I don't know. He has been trading illegally for a couple of years now I suppose. Whether or not the SS/Hacienda know he has been trading illegally for the last couple of years I don't know. Going into hospital for a heart attack wouldn't necessarily flag this up??

But yes, it could be that this "backpaying" isn't something that is open to everyone wishing to get cover, but rather just paying what he owes!!

whitelinen Mar 13th 2011 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Veleta (Post 9237121)

But yes, it could be that this "backpaying" isn't something that is open to everyone wishing to get cover, but rather just paying what he owes!!

Oh Dear looks like it. Someone needs to find out which drawer he keeps all his unopened post in and deal with it before he gets a nasty surprise.

poolboy Mar 13th 2011 6:38 pm

hi, I spoke with my accountant about a similar situation a while ago.

If it were me I would settle up the 2ke owed for treatment & immediately enrol on the ss to get full future cover.

I am not an acct btw, just a similat situ cropped up a while ago.

jackytoo Mar 13th 2011 6:53 pm

He is fortunate to have a bill for only 2000!

JLFS Mar 13th 2011 8:49 pm

I have never heard of this payback scheme.

If he was up to date with his contributions, he would have been able to get sick pay, for tempary illness, the SS still has to be paid while receiving this payment though, and prescriptions too.

It is only after he has been throght the process of claiming and being given the permanent baja that the SS contributions change, I think, that you have to still pay half, and the government pay half untill reaching retirement age. And of course he would get sick pay.

I dont think you will get much info from the SS, but you could try going to the "mutua" just for general information.

Of course they will not "take him on their books" but they may give some good advice.

A lot of poeple pay thier quota to the likes of Mapfre and Fremap, they still have the same rights.

Hope it gets sorted.:fingerscrossed:

Veleta Mar 13th 2011 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9237203)
He is fortunate to have a bill for only 2000!

Well, that's for the hospital treatment. Then there is the future medication which is a small fortune, and the SS payments are about €6000. So he is getting stung pretty badly!

cricketman Mar 13th 2011 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Veleta (Post 9237606)
Well, that's for the hospital treatment. Then there is the future medication which is a small fortune, and the SS payments are about €6000. So he is getting stung pretty badly!

Personally I think it is a bargain

If someone didnt have cover in the US that would have cost 100k plus.

I feel sorry for him for the situation he is in, it is a good reminder to people to make sure they have health cover in Spain, either state or private

megmet Mar 13th 2011 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Veleta (Post 9237606)

I too feel sorry for his situation, but had he been totally legal in the first place he wouldn't now find himself in such a mess.

It would be quite unfair for those who have paid into the system to now have to pick up the tab for his recklessness, health care provision should be at the top of every citizens list of priorities, not an afterthought!

VFR Mar 14th 2011 6:45 am

I have read that once you join the system it will cover all pre existing conditions (will it not ?)