Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Baby food available in Spain?????

Baby food available in Spain?????

Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

billybassett has a spectacular aura aboutbillybassett has a spectacular aura aboutbillybassett has a spectacular aura about
Default Baby food available in Spain?????

Hi all,

we'll be taking our 7 month old baby out to Ayamonte in Spain next week, and rather than pack his jars of usual organic baby food, I would like to buy over there, mostly to save on the weight in our suitcases.

I've done lots of searching on-line, and can't get detailed information on what is available, other than Carrefour stock a limited range, but probably not organic, and probably with added salt. I'm now a little concerned.

Does anyone know what ranges are available, if organic food is sold, and if the added salt is a problem to babies that are usually fed the blandest of bland baby food?

Or do you recommend I pack the baby blender and puree the food from the hotel we are staying at (Riu Atlantico). I wasn't keen on doing this at first as I can't see how the food is prepared, i.e, the dreaded salt again.....

PS - milk formula not a problem as baby is breastfed - But is it acceptable to breastfeed out and about in Spain, or is this frowned upon?

TIA of help and advice,

regards,

Karen
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Baby food available in Spain?????

Where you are going im not too sure, but in Marbella area, Supersol and Alcampo do sell Hipp Organic Jars.

They also sell baby food and other products in many farmacies.

There is a company that you can order from on the internet and they will send it to where you are going on holiday....i cant remeber of hand but will let you know when i find it.

HOpe this helps

Originally Posted by billybassett
Hi all,

we'll be taking our 7 month old baby out to Ayamonte in Spain next week, and rather than pack his jars of usual organic baby food, I would like to buy over there, mostly to save on the weight in our suitcases.

I've done lots of searching on-line, and can't get detailed information on what is available, other than Carrefour stock a limited range, but probably not organic, and probably with added salt. I'm now a little concerned.

Does anyone know what ranges are available, if organic food is sold, and if the added salt is a problem to babies that are usually fed the blandest of bland baby food?

Or do you recommend I pack the baby blender and puree the food from the hotel we are staying at (Riu Atlantico). I wasn't keen on doing this at first as I can't see how the food is prepared, i.e, the dreaded salt again.....

PS - milk formula not a problem as baby is breastfed - But is it acceptable to breastfeed out and about in Spain, or is this frowned upon?

TIA of help and advice,

regards,

Karen
Old Mar 8th 2006, 12:12 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billybassett
Hi all,

TIA of help and advice,

regards,

Karen

again as the last reply, I don't know about where you are going, but where I live the supermarkets stock the cow & gate range ( and probably others....my youngest is 6 years so have to admit to not taking a whole lot of notice.

When we first came here for a holiday my youngest was 4 months, and had just started to be weaned, so I brought some of the packet baby food to get us going until I could shop.

As far as breastfeeding, I don't know what the official line is, but I've certainly seen women breastfeeding in public & no-one seems to be bothered about it.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

There is a good range of baby food, but it is about 3 years since I had to use it. I wouldn't say it was the added salt that was a problem, but the added sugar. When we fed our baby with it we couldn't believe how much he loved it, until we tasted it ourselves!

After that we kept jars to a minimum, bought baby yogurts for dessert and cut up cubes of bread with small amounts of filling. If you are going SC, a spag bol is no trouble to make, and that was fine.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

With regards to breastfeeding...no problems, I see woman feeding their babies anywhere and everywhere.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

billybassett has a spectacular aura aboutbillybassett has a spectacular aura aboutbillybassett has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all your help girls.

Karen