Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BA looking to expand in Madrid rather than London

BA looking to expand in Madrid rather than London

Old Jun 12th 2010, 7:39 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default BA looking to expand in Madrid rather than London

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100611...companybaspain

"You've got a fantastic airport in Madrid that has excess capacity that the Spanish government has invested in (and) Madrid's local government has invested in, and we'll grow there," Walsh said.

"Growth is not going to go away. Growth will just leave the UK and go to other parts of Europe.

"BA will be able to access that growth because our assets are mobile and we can focus on developing Madrid rather than... London."
Of course this all pre-supposes that BA (with Iberia) survives as a growing airline. But for those looking for job opportunities, perhaps a move to commuting distance from Barajas may be sensible (so long as you can put up with plane noise)? I have my doubts that flight numbers will continue to grow (peak oil, environmental concerns) but I've been wrong on other trends, so maybe Madrid will continue to be the biggest job provider in Spain... time will tell.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BA looking to expand in Madrid rather than London

Madrid airport is definitely a better bet than Heathrow. It's one of the largest in europe and doesn't seem to have the same amount of trouble dealing with expansion.
The thing about Heathrow is that a third of the passengers through the airport are in transit to somewhere else. So they fly in, scoff an over priced burger and fly out without ever contributing to the british economy: either as business visitors or tourists. That's 2 aircraft movements (one flying in and one out) whereas someone staying in London would only use 1 slot on each leg of their journey.
Since those passengers aren't staying, they could just as well change planes at an airport that's better equipped to deal with large numbers of passengers (and is cheaper for the airlines, in landing fees). So it sounds like quite a sensible thing to do. It would also let Heathrow expand with people who are travelling to London and boost the tourist trade, as well.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 8:40 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

So they fly in, scoff an over priced burger and fly out without ever contributing to the british economy:
Well even in that scenario there are people needing to be employed at the airport, not just burger flippers either (air traffic controllers, relief pilots, air crew etc.) But I take your point.
I'm not 100% sure that Madrid is the perfect place to expand the airport though. Yes, there are a lot of advantages, but the approach path is often a bumpy ride (due to the Spain mountain ranges). Still, if there's money to be made I doubt that will put off the flight planners.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 11:02 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Well even in that scenario there are people needing to be employed at the airport, not just burger flippers either (air traffic controllers, relief pilots, air crew etc.) But I take your point.
I'm not 100% sure that Madrid is the perfect place to expand the airport though. Yes, there are a lot of advantages, but the approach path is often a bumpy ride (due to the Spain mountain ranges). Still, if there's money to be made I doubt that will put off the flight planners.
Well London,like Amsterdam and Brussels is a fairly central transit point with lots of connections, for most of W.Europe from Scandinavia down to Iberia.
Madrid is not so well placed.
Also from my own experience if there is one place in Europe with a worse record than London for strikes, lost luggage,you name it,...then its got to be Madrid and Iberia.
Seems B.A. has found its perfect match on its headlong dive to oblivion.