Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BA cabin crew to go on strike at Christmas

BA cabin crew to go on strike at Christmas

Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:18 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default BA cabin crew to go on strike at Christmas

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8411214.stm

Looks like the end of BA?
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:03 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BA cabin crew to go on strike at Christmas

The B.A./Iberia link-up looks more and more like a marriage made in hell.

Reckon a certain Michael O Leary will be enjoying a Happy Christmas and no doubt a very Prosperous New Year.......
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I will never use BA or any airline linked with them even if it cost me double the price to fly, as for the crew i would not employ them when BA have gone bust.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:16 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

They should consider themselves very lucky to have a job. This news is not going down well in the UK
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:16 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is a frequent flyer and forget the price, he says that the BA cabin crew are the most rude, unhelpful and inefficient of all the companies he's flown with. He rates "Aer lingus" as the best staff. He also says that BA planes are the oldest and dirtiest.

He'll only travel with BA if they are significantly cheaper than the others - which is very rare, but given the choice he wouldnt ever!

My daughters both work as cabin crew for Thomas Cook and apparently "it is known" that BA staff are "stuck up" and arrogant and very unpopular within the "cabin crew" fraternity!?? This is how they've always been seen, in fact most other airline cabin crews dont like em!

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojojojojojojojojo; Dec 15th 2009 at 8:18 am.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Willie Walsh says the complete opposite, so we'll see who is correct, you or him!
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo
He also says that BA planes are the oldest and dirtiest.

Jo xxx
Can't comment about the dirtiest, but would tactfully suggest your old man is talking rubbish about the age of the BA fleet.
British Airways operates one of the largest and the most modern fleets of any airline in the world.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...t/public/en_gb
According to the reports on the BBC, BA crews earn twice as much as Virgin, with better staffing levels, so there will always be jealousy of those earning the highest wages, nothing new there
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:31 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect this is also about underlying redundancies due to the merger with Iberia - apparently they run alot of similar routes that will need to be cut down on.

It annoys me when people go on strike like this. If they actually cared about their company they'd give that "extra push" to make sure that their company was the best and most successful out there, instead of holding it to randsome and starting a "them and us" feud - the staff ARE the company and as such are showing it and themselves to be a failure. Wheres company pride gone??

Jo xxx
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by agoreira
Can't comment about the dirtiest, but would tactfully suggest your old man is talking rubbish about the age of the BA fleet.

According to the reports on the BBC, BA crews earn twice as much as Virgin, with better staffing levels, so there will always be jealousy of those earning the highest wages, nothing new there
Apparently its not quite like that. BA earn the highest basic wage, but the other companies make it up with higher comission, which BA dont get. My daughters earn the same and sometimes more than BA with their comission. So its just a different pricing structure. I've heard that the Virgin staff are on the best wages!!?

Jo xxx
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo
Apparently its not quite like that. BA earn the highest basic wage, but the other companies make it up with higher comission, which BA dont get. My daughters earn the same and sometimes more than BA with their comission. So its just a different pricing structure. I've heard that the Virgin staff are on the best wages!!?

Jo xxx
You might be right, but according to the Times last week, (includes bonuses etc)
British Airways is paying its cabin crew and pilots up to twice as much as rival airlines, prompting the carrier to demand significant cuts from its staff.

Data from the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) shows for the first time how much higher BA’s wage costs are than its rivals. The average salary for BA’s 14,000 cabin crew, including bonuses and allowances, is £29,900, compared with £14,400 at Virgin Atlantic and £20,200 at easyJet. BA’s pilots earn an average of £107,600, compared with £89,500 at Virgin and £71,400 at easyJet.
The CAA salary figures for 2008 include gross basic pay, overtime, flying bonuses and subsistence allowances. Virgin’s cabin crew are paid less because Sir Richard Branson’s airline typically hires younger staff who are attracted by its fun image. EasyJet, the budget airline, pays its crew more on average than bmi, another low-cost airline, because it has been forced to after rapid growth in recent years. BA
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

I have a lot of faith in Simon Calder -Travel writer and broadcaster- who pens a piece in the Independent. I saw him on BBC yesterday looking very annoyed and apparently tearing up his BA ticket to ride over Christmas saying it was worthless. Maybe a bit over reacted for the TV camera.
Anyway, he makes some good points from his deep experience of all things BA and travel. For example :

Never mind another country: some of their counterparts in other airlines accuse BA cabin crew of living on another planet. When easyJet flies from Gatwick to Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt, its cabin crew stay for no more than an hour before coming back; when BA flies the same route, the crew get two or three nights, on full pay and while staying in a five-star hotel, to enjoy the Red Sea coast.

In the early 1980s the unions won extraordinary concessions from a compliant management. "We used to hose the cabin crew down with cash every time they complained," said a former senior manager for BA. Thanks to their shop stewards' negotiating skills, British Airways cabin crew based at Heathrow are at the very top of their earnings league.

Besides salaries that are the envy of their counterparts at other airlines, BA cabin crew enjoy remarkable perks. On a return trip to Tokyo, they stand to earn more in allowances than Ryanair cabin crew earn as basic pay in a month – with extra pay known as "box payments" for flying very long-haul services, even though rest space is provided on board. Should the inbound flight be diverted to another UK airport because of poor weather in London, the cabin crew automatically qualify for two days' rest at the city they land at, and are therefore unavailable to operate the flight back to base. Passengers can expect to be bussed back to Heathrow from Newcastle or Cardiff.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Nige
I have a lot of faith in Simon Calder -Travel writer and broadcaster-
Yes, I saw that, a bit dramatic I thought. But he is perfectly correct, BA crews enjoy fantastic working conditions, they don't know they are born. I'm sure more and more of these perks will be featured in articles, hopefully it may turn the public completely against them. They don't deserve any support!
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Nige
I have a lot of faith in Simon Calder -Travel writer and broadcaster- who pens a piece in the Independent. I saw him on BBC yesterday looking very annoyed and apparently tearing up his BA ticket to ride over Christmas saying it was worthless. Maybe a bit over reacted for the TV camera.
Anyway, he makes some good points from his deep experience of all things BA and travel. For example :

Never mind another country: some of their counterparts in other airlines accuse BA cabin crew of living on another planet. When easyJet flies from Gatwick to Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt, its cabin crew stay for no more than an hour before coming back; when BA flies the same route, the crew get two or three nights, on full pay and while staying in a five-star hotel, to enjoy the Red Sea coast.

In the early 1980s the unions won extraordinary concessions from a compliant management. "We used to hose the cabin crew down with cash every time they complained," said a former senior manager for BA. Thanks to their shop stewards' negotiating skills, British Airways cabin crew based at Heathrow are at the very top of their earnings league.

Besides salaries that are the envy of their counterparts at other airlines, BA cabin crew enjoy remarkable perks. On a return trip to Tokyo, they stand to earn more in allowances than Ryanair cabin crew earn as basic pay in a month – with extra pay known as "box payments" for flying very long-haul services, even though rest space is provided on board. Should the inbound flight be diverted to another UK airport because of poor weather in London, the cabin crew automatically qualify for two days' rest at the city they land at, and are therefore unavailable to operate the flight back to base. Passengers can expect to be bussed back to Heathrow from Newcastle or Cardiff.

I'e not heard of anyone who envies the BA crew, its more about the fact that the BA crew dont "mingle" with the other staff because they feel they work for the "flagship" airline. As for stopovers in foreign destinations, my girls do the sharm el sheik run and would be mortified if they had to stay there, its not a place they'd want to be??. But that said, they do get to stay in some wonderful places. One of them has just done a ten dayer in Cuba. I'm really envious of them, but they hate it. They just wanna get home. The novelty of staying in these "glamourous" destinations on full pay soon wears off when they would sooner be at home with their friends. In fact I've just spoken to one of my daughters who says that most of those who wanted the strike, didnt want to work over christmas and as its difficult to "pull a sickie" over that time. This strike has been a godsend!!! - thats how its being viewed in the crew room at Gatwick anyway!!
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have to be honest, I have never seen the job of a trolley dolly as anything glamorous or desirable. It's like an airborne waitress with a lot of awful, stressed out customers. I can understand your daughters wanting out. But if you have to be one, it certainly sounds as if it's a better deal with BA.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by agoreira
I have to be honest, I have never seen the job of a trolley dolly as anything glamorous or desirable. It's like an airborne waitress with a lot of awful, stressed out customers. I can understand your daughters wanting out. But if you have to be one, it certainly sounds as if it's a better deal with BA.
Its a fallacy that BA are the only ones who get those "perks", any airline and any "trolley dolly" who does long haul get exactly the same. Very often they meet up in the same hotels. My girls, when they go to Canada, Florida... for example, team up with the "Virgin" girls or whoever and go out on the town or go to disneyworld... or wherever and have a ball - but NOT the BA crew ...... oh, no, they stay in the hotel, they dont mix and if they do, they're considered the miserable ones! That said, the novelty does where off, whoever you work for

But no, its not a glamorous job particularly - but if you've gotta be a waitress, its better paid and more fun that waiting tables in "Joes cafe" LOL!!!

Jo xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.