British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Ayamonte Thrift Stores (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/ayamonte-thrift-stores-913855/)

RuthH Jun 12th 2018 7:54 pm

Ayamonte Thrift Stores

Due to all the information on this site I've been able to easily figure out how to get there and also book my fight for the end of August. (Faro - thanks so much as I would never have considered it!)

I have lots more to research and will do so in due course. However, what I need to know now is info about the local thrift stores. An ex-pat living in Canada for the last 38 years, I have still maintained drinking tea out of a cup and saucer. I have a good collection. Right now I'm selling, downsizing and packing for a future relocation to Spain, though initially I'm just doing the final check when I come in August.

Will I find tea cups and saucers in the local thrift stores? Or shall I plan on bringing a few of my own? Obviously I don't want to ship anything other than what won't cost me an arm and a leg so I won't be bringing ovenware, kitchen dishes and the like...but I'm partial to a tea cup and saucer.

Thanks so much.

Jon-Bxl Jun 13th 2018 1:53 am

Re: Ayamonte Thrift Stores

Originally Posted by RuthH (Post 12514775)
Due to all the information on this site I've been able to easily figure out how to get there and also book my fight for the end of August. (Faro - thanks so much as I would never have considered it!)

I have lots more to research and will do so in due course. However, what I need to know now is info about the local thrift stores. An ex-pat living in Canada for the last 38 years, I have still maintained drinking tea out of a cup and saucer. I have a good collection. Right now I'm selling, downsizing and packing for a future relocation to Spain, though initially I'm just doing the final check when I come in August.

Will I find tea cups and saucers in the local thrift stores? Or shall I plan on bringing a few of my own? Obviously I don't want to ship anything other than what won't cost me an arm and a leg so I won't be bringing ovenware, kitchen dishes and the like...but I'm partial to a tea cup and saucer.

Thanks so much.

No Problems I think. The thrift stores or the big supermarkets (e.g Carrefour) will have these. I would also recommend VRSA and Carvela (sp) on the pedestrian part. They also have a great large shop in the industrial estate near Intermarche. (EsuriJohn introduced me to it) All kinds of kitchen stuff there, but add the VAT as its open to all but more focused on the trade.

Jon

RuthH Jun 13th 2018 1:57 am

Thank you Jon. Much appreciated.

MikeCol Jun 13th 2018 8:04 am

Hi RuthH, something that might interest you as a resident of Canada is that there is a Costco in Seville (about 1hr 15mins from Ayamonte). So if you are a member keep your card as you can use it there. Regards Bryony

guesswork Jun 13th 2018 3:34 pm

There is a new Cash and carry on the industrial estate just off the motorway called Merci

JeanMichel Jun 15th 2018 8:46 am

Originally Posted by guesswork (Post 12515339)
There is a new Cash and carry on the industrial estate just off the motorway called Merci

The last time I went there, it was closed by the police.

Jon-Bxl Jun 15th 2018 8:53 am

Originally Posted by JeanMichel (Post 12516369)

I was planning on going there on Monday. Merci for letting me know ! :)
Jon

neil77 Jun 15th 2018 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by JeanMichel (Post 12516369)

It was the NGI or MGI store that was closed by the police, and now gone completely. The cash and carry is behind and that is still going strong, was there the other day. They have lots of good bargains, same as the one as you go into Lepe. Some things are cheaper in one and some in the other, both worth a look

Jon-Bxl Jun 17th 2018 1:55 am

Originally Posted by neil77 (Post 12516528)
It was the NGI or MGI store that was closed by the police, and now gone completely. The cash and carry is behind and that is still going strong, was there the other day. They have lots of good bargains, same as the one as you go into Lepe. Some things are cheaper in one and some in the other, both worth a look

Merci Neil77 !! So it is open after all, I'll check it out asap. Good news!
Jon

Jon-Bxl Jun 18th 2018 12:33 pm

I went today. It is open and its called COMERCO. Open 8:30 - 21:00. Closed 14-17:00, Saturday afternoon and sunday.

Good selection there of mainly food & drink items

Jon

neil77 Jun 18th 2018 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 12517999)
I went today. It is open and its called COMERCO. Open 8:30 - 21:00. Closed 14-17:00, Saturday afternoon and sunday.

Good selection there of mainly food & drink items

Jon

Nooooooo Jon, its called 'Merco' with a symbol before the name!!

Jon-Bxl Jun 18th 2018 1:38 pm

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...3839c20e36.jpg

Originally Posted by neil77 (Post 12518012)
Nooooooo Jon, its called 'Merco' with a symbol before the name!!

Note their website name... www.comerco.es

1-0 :)

Jon

bxpuser24710519 Jun 18th 2018 2:14 pm

I thought thrift stores were charity/second hand shops ? there is at least one in Ayamonte, just down from one of my favourite tapas bars Bar Cortado, Calle Padre Aine Carbonell.

Edit to add there is something else with second hand furniture and other pieces on the corner of the road leading from main shopping area past the fruit/veg/meat market on to the big Chinese shop facing the Guadiana river.

Jon-Bxl Jun 18th 2018 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench (Post 12518072)
I thought thrift stores were charity/second hand shops ? there is at least one in Ayamonte, just down from one of my favourite tapas bars Bar Cortado, Calle Padre Aine Carbonell.

Edit to add there is something else with second hand furniture and other pieces on the corner of the road leading from main shopping area past the fruit/veg/meat market on to the big Chinese shop facing the Guadiana river.

The conversation moved for a while to the new cash and carry called COMERCO.
Jon

JeanMichel Jun 18th 2018 3:13 pm

Sorry, I got confused with the shop above, which sold many appliances at excellent prices....