British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   AYAMONTE, the other BREXIT (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/ayamonte-other-brexit-921236/)

Fran Esuri Jan 20th 2019 9:57 pm

AYAMONTE, the other BREXIT

Look at this very interesting news.
https://andaluciainformacion.es/anda...l-otro-brexit/

Martin mc Jan 20th 2019 10:40 pm

Re: AYAMONTE, the other BREXIT

Translated with google translate

The municipal census of Ayamonte (Huelva) could suffer a notable drop in the case of applying what is called "hard Brexit", which will immediately cause 657 inhabitants of this town bordering Portugal to become directly foreigners without legal authorization to reside in Spain.

And it is not that this town has suddenly become a place of welcome for British citizens by word of mouth, by its climate or its proximity to the south of Portugal, another very British point in southern Europe, but a tourist complex raised in the last 20 years in the village has been attracting them, in many cases, living their retirement years away from the United Kingdom, where it seems that now they would have to return.

The key to this matter is called 'Costa Esuri', and in its day it was the biggest urban complex created by the Galician promoter Martinsa Fadesa, which promoted the start-up of a tourist giant for which 624 million euros were budgeted, although the economic crisis and the one of the own company caused that never it was finished completely, but it was taken ahead enough to inhabit it with the necessary guarantees.

Thus, in this species of Huelva-based Marbella built six kilometers north of Ayamonte, citizens of different countries were set to rest after their working life, or Ayamontinos who were looking for a second home, attracted by the publicity of a place created to house 10,000 people, with, initially, two golf courses, hotels, a local police post, pharmacies ... everything a small city should need.

With all this, the British were the first to notice this tourist paradise from which a good part of the end of the Guadiana and the first towns of Portugal can be seen, and they began to arrive little by little to the town more to the southwest of the peninsular Spain , leaving behind its roots little by little, until registering in the town to be some ayamontinos more, 657 in total to 1 of last January, a figure that is striking, taking into account that in all the province of Huelva there are registered 912.

The weather or the proximity of the international airport of Faro (Portugal), located just over 20 minutes from the border of Ayamonte with the Portuguese town of Castro Marín, were some of the determining factors for them to come to settle in this corner of Huelva .

As explained by the City Council, for these people it will be a problem that the Brexit officially declare foreigners without legal permission to reside in Spain, although it is hoped that a formula will be reached so that these people can stay in the town even if they stop be full citizens and free movement of the European Union.

There is another problem arising from all this, which has more to do with the local economy itself, because if the British leave the village, they will lose almost 3.5% of their population, and the houses they live in will enter an urban limbo, which will mean another step back for Costa Esuri, a project that seems to pursue bad luck.

And all this taking into account the close relationship that Ayamonte has with its British neighbors, to the point that the current mayor, Alberto Fernández (PP), gave a rally in the campaign of the municipal 2011 in the tourist complex translated into English simultaneously, even though many of the people who were listening to him could not vote in upcoming elections

Fran Esuri Jan 20th 2019 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Martin mc (Post 12624668)

The municipal census of Ayamonte (Huelva) could suffer a notable drop in the case of applying what is called "hard Brexit", which will immediately cause 657 inhabitants of this town bordering Portugal to become directly foreigners without legal authorization to reside in Spain.

And it is not that this town has suddenly become a place of welcome for British citizens by word of mouth, by its climate or its proximity to the south of Portugal, another very British point in southern Europe, but a tourist complex raised in the last 20 years in the village has been attracting them, in many cases, living their retirement years away from the United Kingdom, where it seems that now they would have to return.

The key to this matter is called 'Costa Esuri', and in its day it was the biggest urban complex created by the Galician promoter Martinsa Fadesa, which promoted the start-up of a tourist giant for which 624 million euros were budgeted, although the economic crisis and the one of the own company caused that never it was finished completely, but it was taken ahead enough to inhabit it with the necessary guarantees.

Thus, in this species of Huelva-based Marbella built six kilometers north of Ayamonte, citizens of different countries were set to rest after their working life, or Ayamontinos who were looking for a second home, attracted by the publicity of a place created to house 10,000 people, with, initially, two golf courses, hotels, a local police post, pharmacies ... everything a small city should need.

With all this, the British were the first to notice this tourist paradise from which a good part of the end of the Guadiana and the first towns of Portugal can be seen, and they began to arrive little by little to the town more to the southwest of the peninsular Spain , leaving behind its roots little by little, until registering in the town to be some ayamontinos more, 657 in total to 1 of last January, a figure that is striking, taking into account that in all the province of Huelva there are registered 912.

The weather or the proximity of the international airport of Faro (Portugal), located just over 20 minutes from the border of Ayamonte with the Portuguese town of Castro Marín, were some of the determining factors for them to come to settle in this corner of Huelva .

As explained by the City Council, for these people it will be a problem that the Brexit officially declare foreigners without legal permission to reside in Spain, although it is hoped that a formula will be reached so that these people can stay in the town even if they stop be full citizens and free movement of the European Union.

There is another problem arising from all this, which has more to do with the local economy itself, because if the British leave the village, they will lose almost 3.5% of their population, and the houses they live in will enter an urban limbo, which will mean another step back for Costa Esuri, a project that seems to pursue bad luck.

And all this taking into account the close relationship that Ayamonte has with its British neighbors, to the point that the current mayor, Alberto Fernández (PP), gave a rally in the campaign of the municipal 2011 in the tourist complex translated into English simultaneously, even though many of the people who were listening to him could not vote in upcoming elections

Thanks 👍🏻
​​​​​​

Martin mc Jan 20th 2019 10:55 pm

You’re welcome.

Jon-Bxl Jan 21st 2019 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Martin mc (Post 12624668)

Really!!! The Mayor stepping in!!

'......close relationship that Ayamonte has with its British neighbors, to the point that the current mayor, Alberto Fernández (PP),.....'

News to me!!

Interesting the number of (registered) UK expats.

But they got this right:

'...... another step back for Costa Esuri, a project that seems to pursue bad luck.....'

Thanks for finding and then translating this article.

Jon

PS I feel sure that expats will be ok deal or no deal. Today we are starting plans to register and pre register expats in the UK so that they have residence .. I cant think that the Spanish would not reciprocate, given that UK expats pump so much money to the Spanish economy

Michaelh Jan 21st 2019 5:11 pm

Here is another interesting read for all of you looking at Brexit stuff. Funnily enough of the 300,000 plus British residents in Spain only about 90,000 are registered to vote. Maybe it is time to get a campaign going that all British resident in Ayamonte get on the Padron and also register to vote in the next elections. Not sure if I am right but I think this needs to be done by 30th January.
https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/01/21...ZJp671Qf57TIsA

olivia Jan 21st 2019 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 12624804)
Really!!! The Mayor stepping in!!

'......close relationship that Ayamonte has with its British neighbors, to the point that the current mayor, Alberto Fernández (PP),.....'

News to me!!

Interesting the number of (registered) UK expats.

But they got this right:

'...... another step back for Costa Esuri, a project that seems to pursue bad luck.....'

Thanks for finding and then translating this article.

Jon

PS I feel sure that expats will be ok deal or no deal. Today we are starting plans to register and pre register expats in the UK so that they have residence .. I cant think that the Spanish would not reciprocate, given that UK expats pump so much money to the Spanish economy

I am sure you are right. It is good news that today it has been announced that EU citizens working and living in the UK will not have to pay to register and those who have already paid will be reimbursed. It will I am sure be similar for those working legitimately In Spain. Those who are not working legitamently and are damaging the prospects of the local workforce here in Spain and those similarly in the UK need to be concerned.

EsuriJohn Jan 21st 2019 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Michaelh (Post 12625060)
Here is another interesting read for all of you looking at Brexit stuff. Funnily enough of the 300,000 plus British residents in Spain only about 90,000 are registered to vote. Maybe it is time to get a campaign going that all British resident in Ayamonte get on the Padron and also register to vote in the next elections. Not sure if I am right but I think this needs to be done by 30th January.
https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/01/21...ZJp671Qf57TIsA

You are correct Michael end of January is the closing date. You need to be on the Padron and also the separate electoral list. I have been on the Padron since 2007 and have voted in all local elections since then. However when I asked at the Ayuntamiento if I was on the list for May they could not or woul not tell me!

olivia Jan 21st 2019 9:07 pm

[QUOTE=EsuriJohn;12625165]

You are correct Michael end of January is the closing date. You need to be on the Padron and also the separate electoral list. I have been on the Padron since 2007 and have voted in all local elections since then. However when I asked at the Ayuntamiento if I was on the list for May they could not or woul not tell me!
I wonder how many of the 300,000 are retired EU citizens like yourselves and ourselves. Considering only 65% of UK nationals vote anyway I think 90.000 is about right taking into account those who leave the 'Rat Race' to do foreigners and live below the radar.

bitmanev Jan 21st 2019 10:31 pm

Official information British people moving to and living in Spain need to know, including EU Exit guidance, residency, healthcare and driving.

Jon-Bxl Feb 4th 2019 9:40 am

https://britishexpats.com/forum/spai.../#post12625365

More info if you read through the posts - encouraging discussion for those worried about no-deal. Including from Portugal

Jon

EsuriJohn Feb 4th 2019 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by olivia (Post 12625162)
I am sure you are right. It is good news that today it has been announced that EU citizens working and living in the UK will not have to pay to register and those who have already paid will be reimbursed. It will I am sure be similar for those working legitimately In Spain. Those who are not working legitamently and are damaging the prospects of the local workforce here in Spain and those similarly in the UK need to be concerned.

Last week we updated our Residencia Perminante and found that the fee had increased from €7.20 to €12 strange that just when several tens of thousands will be getting first NIE,S or updating existing. Then if Brexit happens we will all have to convert to Third Country papers I think called TIE another €12 all round.