British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Ayamonte - Isla Canela (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/ayamonte-isla-canela-363395/)

newinspain Mar 24th 2006 9:50 pm

Ayamonte - Isla Canela

1 Attachment(s)
I thought I would start this as an alternative to the Costa Esuri thread. I enjoy reading the posts on there but it has gone off track from its original purpose (so I have read) so i thought that i would give this a try.

I have lived in Ayamonte for five months and am loving it here. I have met some great people, been to some lovely places and am really enjoying the fantastic light in this part of the world.

The last week has been a bit rainy and cloudy but today the sun cam out and we were blessed with the clear clue sky again. The temperature went up and a not so good morning turned into a glorious day.

If anyone would like to see photos of the area I would be pleased to take them or show some that I already have. The photo below is of Playa Canela in March 2006 - beautiful!

Isla Canela is also a pleasant area to visit. I have enjoyed walking along the deserted beach throughout the winter and having a few drinks in the many bars in the commercial centre - I am sure that it will be a completely different place in the Summer.

Anyway, it would be good to hear from other people in the area. I will try and answer any questions that you have if you have never been t Ayamonte before.

kind regards

EsuriJohn Mar 25th 2006 6:00 am

Re: Ayamonte - Isla Canela

Hi newinspain,

We have bought a plot on CE so it will be some time yet before we are "in Spain" but we to love the Ayamonte area. We have never been over in July and August but love Punta Morell and Canela out of season just as you say walking on that vast deserted beach and having a drink in one of the bars.

Is your place on the Cinnamon Isle? If so you get plenty of opportunities to take picies, someone posted a stunning one about 5 months ago of sunrise over the Atlantico. So yes post away with your photos so that we can all feel uplifted in the depths of our winter back here in dreary Blighty. It's not the cold or the damp its the light it's just not the same.

Regards,:)

John.

Originally Posted by newinspain

If anyone would like to see photos of the area I would be pleased to take them or show some that I already have. The photo below is of Playa Canela in March 2006 - beautiful!

Isla Canela is also a pleasant area to visit. I have enjoyed walking along the deserted beach throughout the winter and having a few drinks in the many bars in the commercial centre - I am sure that it will be a completely different place in the Summer.

Anyway, it would be good to hear from other people in the area. I will try and answer any questions that you have if you have never been t Ayamonte before.

kind regards

Carol&John Mar 25th 2006 8:53 am

Good morning!
I have often wondered how Isla Canela got its name, and how the area/development first came about. Does anyone know of the history?
Regards,
Carol

EsuriJohn Mar 25th 2006 11:31 am

Hi Carol&John,

My understanding is that it was the area where the Moors imported/grew their Cinnamon. So it became the Cinnamon Isle "Isla Canela".

Regards. ;)

John

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Good morning!
I have often wondered how Isla Canela got its name, and how the area/development first came about. Does anyone know of the history?
Regards,
Carol

Carol&John Mar 25th 2006 12:19 pm

Hello again,
Thanks for the lovely photo, newinspain! Yes, I for one would enjoy seeing more photos.
Question about Ayamonte town: what and where is the huge tree (cedar of lebanon?) that I see in many pics of properties for sale when they show a panoramic view towards the river? Just idle curiosity... :o
Regards,
Carol

newinspain Mar 26th 2006 9:24 am

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hello again,
Thanks for the lovely photo, newinspain! Yes, I for one would enjoy seeing more photos.
Question about Ayamonte town: what and where is the huge tree (cedar of lebanon?) that I see in many pics of properties for sale when they show a panoramic view towards the river? Just idle curiosity... :o
Regards,
Carol

Hello Carol,
I am glad that you liked the photo. The info on Isla Canela is correct, it is one of the largest developments in Europe and has been growing for the past 10 years. The fishing village Punta del Moral is a lovely, typically Spanish, area by the sea with very good restaurants - serving the fish caught by local fishermen - and great views over the estuary.
There are more hotels being built in Isla Canela but the style is quite traditional and definitely not high-rise square blocks. The architecture is Spanish, with different levels and colour making them interesting buildings.
Regarding the tree, I am going to have a look for it when i am in town and get back to you about that one.
I have attached some more photos: The Laguna Plaza, Ayamonte - a great place to sit and watch the world go by. Tress around the Laguna Plaza, And The suspension bridge leading to Portugal.

Regards
Tilly

Carol&John Mar 26th 2006 9:51 am

Thank you, Tilly, for the photos!
I like the play on shadow in the bridge photo.
Have you been inside the Casa antigua/vieja (not sure of the name, nor the address)? It has a lovely inner patio, which, if photography is allowed, would make for a cool, restful scene. The last time I visited it (2 years ago!), there was an exhibition of local painters; one by the name d'Esury. (Bright, bold colours.) If I remember correctly, there is an area inside the casa vieja showing the huge underground oil storage pots?
Regards,
Carol

Cptnemo Mar 27th 2006 9:58 pm

2 Attachment(s)

The photo below is of Playa Canela in March 2006 - beautiful!

Hi
Here is a picture of the packed Playa Canela beach in August last year - not too bad at all !!

I for one cant wait to get back there
Cheers
:)

newinspain Mar 27th 2006 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Cptnemo
Hi
Here is a picture of the packed Playa Canela beach in August last year - not too bad at all !!

I for one cant wait to get back there
Cheers
:)

They are lovely photos - maybe june and July are a bit busier?

Liz Harrison Mar 28th 2006 6:17 am

Isla Canela - Ikea Delivery from Seville

We have only visited Isla Canela when we delivered some Ikea furniture for a couple so we didn't get chance to explore the area. It is definitely on our list of places to visit - still quite Spanish (which we like). We will be back with our tourist hats on later in the year. Do you know when the feria will be?

In the meantime - enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I would start this as an alternative to the Costa Esuri thread. I enjoy reading the posts on there but it has gone off track from its original purpose (so I have read) so i thought that i would give this a try.

I have lived in Ayamonte for five months and am loving it here. I have met some great people, been to some lovely places and am really enjoying the fantastic light in this part of the world.

The last week has been a bit rainy and cloudy but today the sun cam out and we were blessed with the clear clue sky again. The temperature went up and a not so good morning turned into a glorious day.

kind regards

MEL & JOHN Mar 28th 2006 6:47 am

Hi Tilly

Lovely photo's.........thanks !!

All the best

Mel and John

newinspain Mar 28th 2006 7:40 am

Re: Isla Canela - Ikea Delivery from Seville

Originally Posted by Liz Harrison
We have only visited Isla Canela when we delivered some Ikea furniture for a couple so we didn't get chance to explore the area. It is definitely on our list of places to visit - still quite Spanish (which we like). We will be back with our tourist hats on later in the year. Do you know when the feria will be?

In the meantime - enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ayamonte is a lovely town as well and worh a visit. The feria is in May-June but I am not sure of the exact date.

Tilly :)

Carol&John Mar 28th 2006 7:45 am

Buenos dias!
Lovely beach pictures, Cptnemo. Thanks!
Does the Isla Canela beach stretch as far west as the mouth of the Guadiana? Is this area safe for swimming? Are there any stretches of the beach which are particularly suitable for young swimmers? I ask only because I have heard there is a strong current. I wonder if it is to do with being either near the mouth of the river, or the Atlantic ocean. When we holidayed at Zahara de los Atunes (much further south on the CDL), there is definitely a strong current (and I'm a fairly strong swimmer, so please be cautious). I have heard that the beach off Isla da Tavira in the Portuguese Algarve is very safe for swimming (children in mind), as the sand bar acts as protection.
Regards,
Carol

DrakeS Mar 28th 2006 8:09 am

My fiance and I are in the process of purchasing a property at Costa Esuri (latest information on completion date mid May). Once we have completed on the property we are hoping to get married in Ayamonte some time around September or October this year, since the first time we sat in the square we thought that the town hall would be an ideal setting. However, to date I have not been able to get any information from any source to find out what is necessary as far as paperwork is concerned, and how I can check availability for the ceremony.

If anybody out there has any information at all, or any contact at the town hall, I would be very happy to hear from them.

Carol&John Mar 28th 2006 8:57 am

Hi DrakeS,
http://www.ukinspain.com/english/Con...ns=102&lang=en
Try this link for an information leaflet on "Marriage" in Spain, if you haven't got this already. I think one of you has to be a resident in Spain? Not sure, though.
Also, try an online enquiry to the ayuntamiento in Ayamonte: www.ayto-ayamonte.es/portal2/ with your best spanish to "contraer matrimonio".
Good luck!
Carol