British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Ayamonte and Castro Marim Festivals (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/ayamonte-castro-marim-festivals-724242/)

Jon-Bxl Jul 9th 2011 5:52 pm

Ayamonte and Castro Marim Festivals

Hi

In late August there is a very famous medeival festival in C Marim and Ive been told that its fantastic.

Also mid September its Ayamonte's turn for a festival.

Does anybody know, and can share with all, the dates and perhaps details of the festivities, please?

Thanks in advance
Jon

MikeCol Jul 9th 2011 7:21 pm

Re: Ayamonte and Castro Marim Festivals

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 9485305)
Hi

In late August there is a very famous medeival festival in C Marim and Ive been told that its fantastic.

Also mid September its Ayamonte's turn for a festival.

Does anybody know, and can share with all, the dates and perhaps details of the festivities, please?

Thanks in advance
Jon

Hi Jon, the Medieval Festival in Castro Marim is from the 25th-28th August incl. The streets are lined with stalls selling all sorts of things and to enter the castle itself only costs 5euro which includes a 'medieval' mug for your beer. Its well worth a visit but beware of mozzies.

The Fiestas de las Angustias is from the 6th September and last several days and nights. Its worth going into Ayamonte on the evening before the bank holiday (8th) as the people of Ayamonte gather in their local square and make their way to Angustias church to pay homage to the Virgin. Its a fabulous sight to see everyone in national dress some of which are very spectacular. Hope this helps, Bryony

MikeCol Jul 9th 2011 7:25 pm

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics from last year:-

Jon-Bxl Jul 11th 2011 8:57 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MikeCol (Post 9485412)
Hi Jon, the Medieval Festival in Castro Marim is from the 25th-28th August incl. The streets are lined with stalls selling all sorts of things and to enter the castle itself only costs 5euro which includes a 'medieval' mug for your beer. Its well worth a visit but beware of mozzies.

The Fiestas de las Angustias is from the 6th September and last several days and nights. Its worth going into Ayamonte on the evening before the bank holiday (8th) as the people of Ayamonte gather in their local square and make their way to Angustias church to pay homage to the Virgin. Its a fabulous sight to see everyone in national dress some of which are very spectacular. Hope this helps, Bryony

Thanks Bryony for this and the photos. Great info - as ever. :thumbsup:

I'll wear my 'long trousers' for the medeival festival. :) And lots of repellant.

Actually as a mozzie hater - I am a bit nervous at the volume of them. I heard many stories last year about how bad they were, even one post that said that in VRSA it was like a black cloud emerging at one point - and everyone dashed inside the bar. Jags and the Club (and I assume the shop) had mozzie problems outside.

The 'Tiger mosquito' has arrived in Europe.. a few years ago. They have bought the first ever Dengue fever in Europe. Previously sufferers got it on travels - but last year some people in France got it. Locally.

I happened to be there at the time and saw one. Horrible - click on the photo:

'Here's one I killed earlier !'

Jon

MikeCol Jul 11th 2011 10:01 am

Hi Jon, you just have to hope its windy as they (so iv'e been reliably informed) don't go out in strong wind. I have this picture in my mind of a mozzie who has an anemometer ouside his front door;)