Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Autonomo - too old

Autonomo - too old

Old Apr 8th 2010, 6:54 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Autonomo - too old

Here's a good one.

Just heard that a friend tried to register as an autonomo so that he could do general building work and be legal.

He wasn't interested in pensions or health plans as he has all that in place privately.

He was told that at 60 he's too old! The reason given was that he was unlikely to make the 15 years worth of payments to get a pension so they refused to let him register as autonomo!!

What's he supposed to do?

What is the oldest that one can become autonomo?
Old Apr 8th 2010, 8:57 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Autonomo - too old

Bloody hell!
maybe go to the court of humans rights and say they are being ageists?
Old Apr 8th 2010, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Here's a good one.

Just heard that a friend tried to register as an autonomo so that he could do general building work and be legal.

He wasn't interested in pensions or health plans as he has all that in place privately.

He was told that at 60 he's too old! The reason given was that he was unlikely to make the 15 years worth of payments to get a pension so they refused to let him register as autonomo!!

By whom?
Old Apr 8th 2010, 10:37 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
By whom?
By 'social services' or whatever they are called (sorry can't remember the Spanish). His abagado also confirmed this to him as he speaks no Spanish.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 12:19 pm
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice

hi if they have private pension in plce then just work cash in hand i know we like do things right but ial so think they have a point about not paying into the system for enough years and also do they want to pay about 400 euros self employment per month .
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a good one.

Sounds like there been a misunderstanding to me, I`d get it double checked by a gestor.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:10 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Rotor
Sounds like there been a misunderstanding to me, I`d get it double checked by a gestor.
That's already been done and he was given the same info.

Originally Posted by helenba
hi if they have private pension in plce then just work cash in hand i know we like do things right but ial so think they have a point about not paying into the system for enough years and also do they want to pay about 400 euros self employment per month .
I guess it's swings-and-roundabouts as he wouldn't then be able to claim the IVA back.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

That's already been done and he was given the same info.

I guess it's swings-and-roundabouts as he wouldn't then be able to claim the IVA back.
It still dose not sound right to me as you have a legal right to work in Spain as an eu citizen and to work selfemployed legally you have to be autonomo ,I`d make sure I had it writing from the SS before I went any further then at least he cant be prosecuted for working unregistered,alternativley call a different SS office in another province and ask the same questions , I`m sure you will get a different answer.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helenba
...also do they want to pay about 400 euros self employment per month .
mines €276,60 ? (plus €58 to the gestoria) each month.

i´d look into it - if they are saying that they cant register, ask them how hes meant to work legally in spain, as we all know that working without paying SS is supposed to be illegal.

as above, he wouldn´t be able to get any iva back, so any "BIG" jobs with a substantial amount of iva wouldnt be worth doing? or would be worth it, but would make him x thousand less because of the iva.

are they saying that a pensionista cant pay SS and as such can work legally without it?
Old Apr 9th 2010, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

LittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the rough

If this is the reason, then any NI contributions would count towards the minimum 15 years qualifying period required a Spanish State Pension. It´s explained a lot better in posts at the end of this link by Fred and DWP;

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=613172
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Bakeja is an unknown quantity at this point

I registered a 68 year old Danish engineer as autonomo last week and there were no questions asked in either the Hacienda or Social Security. Sounds absurd to me.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleWeed
If this is the reason, then any NI contributions would count towards the minimum 15 years qualifying period required a Spanish State Pension. It´s explained a lot better in posts at the end of this link by Fred and DWP;

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=613172
so as autonomo we cant get any benifits but we do get a pension ?? hmmmmmm
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
so as autonomo we cant get any benifits but we do get a pension ?? hmmmmmm
Yep thats right , now you can see why so many work for black money , both Brits and Spanish.