Autonomo English teacher - IRPF

Autonomo English teacher - IRPF

Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Rojiblanco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Autonomo English teacher - IRPF

Hi!

I've just become autonomo in Madrid.

I would love to get in contact with someone who is currently working autonomo as an English teacher here, preferably in Madrid, especially if you have company clients who you bill directly and not through a language academy.

My main questions are:

1: I 'm starting classes with a couple of clients this month and their company will pay me directly. I need to tell them to retain IRPF, but how do I explain this -- who do I tell them they need to pay this money to? and when? and how?

2: On my "factura" at the end of the month I read i need to put my NIF or CIF. I don't think I have a such a number. Do i just need to put my NIE instead?

3: I've read that IRPF is sorted out annually when you submit your info via a gestoria between May/June. I also read it should be done every three months. Which is right? When i signed up the other day, the person only mentioned the annual submission, so why have I seen people write that it needs to be done every three months? Also, if the tax year runs from Jan-Jan, does that mean the submission in May/June is about the previous calendar year or since the previous May/June.

4:Can anyone recommend a good accountant/gestor in Madrid to take care of my money problems

I have a couple more questions but not really for public forum, hence I'd like to get in touch with someone who knows the situation.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thankyou
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:19 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Autonomo English teacher - IRPF

Originally Posted by Rojiblanco
Hi!

I would love to get in contact with someone who is currently working autonomo as an English teacher here, preferably in Madrid, especially if you have company clients who you bill directly and not through a language academy.

My main questions are:

1: I 'm starting classes with a couple of clients this month and their company will pay me directly. I need to tell them to retain IRPF, but how do I explain this -- who do I tell them they need to pay this money to? and when? and how?

2: On my "factura" at the end of the month I read i need to put my NIF or CIF. I don't think I have a such a number. Do i just need to put my NIE instead?

3: I've read that IRPF is sorted out annually when you submit your info via a gestoria between May/June. I also read it should be done every three months. Which is right? When i signed up the other day, the person only mentioned the annual submission, so why have I seen people write that it needs to be done every three months? Also, if the tax year runs from Jan-Jan, does that mean the submission in May/June is about the previous calendar year or since the previous May/June.

4:Can anyone recommend a good accountant/gestor in Madrid to take care of my money problems

I have a couple more questions but not really for public forum, hence I'd like to get in touch with someone who knows the situation.

Thankyou
You realize that 2 clients will be no where near enough to cover your outgoings ?
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Hi!

My main questions are:

Thankyou
I don't think you will need to EXPLAIN IRPF retentions to the company - I'm sure they will already be familiar with this.

On your factura you just put
Net amount
- 15% IRPF
Total Factura

Your client will pay this money to the Hacienda on your behalf.

Put your NIE number on the factura.

Every three months you have to submit your IVA forms (you will be exempt as you are in education) and the IRPF form. Then, at the end of the year you do the annual IRPF form.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:33 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
You realize that 2 clients will be no where near enough to cover your outgoings ?
Don't worry about English teachers in Madrid (outside of August)! There are lots of smaller language schools that will take on teachers for part-time hours - not brilliantly paid but help to top up the main clients, who typically pay 25-35 Euros a hour. Plus there are normally private classes. However if the OP has already worked in Spain as an English teacher he'll know to budget for holiday season and "bridge-days" - these can catch people out. December (when there are holidays around the 8th and 10th December as well as the Xmas shutdown) and the January "hill" are particularly bad earning times for people not in full-time contracts.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Yes, I'm pretty sure I won't have to explain it. But I just wanted to know for my own sake, and although the company's accountants will no doubt know what to do, I'm only in touch with my student so i wanted to be able to explain it to her. I just say it goes to the Hacienda right.

Where do you get the form for IRPF that needs filling every three months? Is it necessary then to go to an accountant every three months?
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Yes, I'm pretty sure I won't have to explain it. But I just wanted to know for my own sake, and although the company's accountants will no doubt know what to do, I'm only in touch with my student so i wanted to be able to explain it to her. I just say it goes to the Hacienda right.

Where do you get the form for IRPF that needs filling every three months? Is it necessary then to go to an accountant every three months?
No, it is not necessary to go to an accountant for something this simple. It will be a very short learning curve for you and you'll be able to do it all yourself.

The trimestral form is called a Modelo 130 available from the Hacienda (or if you get a digital certificate for your computer you can do it online). Just fill in:
income,
expediture
difference between the two.

then calculate 20% of the "difference between the two" figure.

Deduct the amount that has been retained on your behalf by your clients, and then the remaining figure is what you have to pay/receive from the Hacienda.

If you feel really uncomfortable about doing this yourself to begin with, you could always ask a gestor to do the first one for you and then crib from his modelo 130 when you do the second one.

Last edited by Veleta; Sep 8th 2009 at 11:48 am.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
yes. Thanks for the warning, but I was only talking about two clients who I'll be working for without a middle man. The bulk of my income will be through the academies
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

lars77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I have to fill in the modelo 130 and 300, I know they're not this hard, but since I'm not good in Spanish can anybody tell me wich numbers to fill in?

Or does somebody has an example what the words in Spanish mean?

Another question, there are companies from outside Spain in Europe as well as outside that charged me with the VAT. Are these cost or what to do with this?

Can anybody explain me when to charge the IRPF (or discharge actualy?), cause the story I heard was a little strange or confusing at the Hacienda.

And then they told me at the Hacienda I should charge IVA in Europe and not outside, but according to me this is also wrong. Cause if I have a VAT number I should not charge right?

Thanks
Old Oct 14th 2009, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lars77
Hi I have to fill in the modelo 130 and 300, I know they're not this hard, but since I'm not good in Spanish can anybody tell me wich numbers to fill in?

Or does somebody has an example what the words in Spanish mean?

Another question, there are companies from outside Spain in Europe as well as outside that charged me with the VAT. Are these cost or what to do with this?

Can anybody explain me when to charge the IRPF (or discharge actualy?), cause the story I heard was a little strange or confusing at the Hacienda.

And then they told me at the Hacienda I should charge IVA in Europe and not outside, but according to me this is also wrong. Cause if I have a VAT number I should not charge right?

Thanks
If you're not good at Spanish ask a gestor to do the first 130 and 300 for you. If you can, sit down with him when he is doing it...you'll see how quick and easy it is. Then you can just copy what he did for your next quarterly returns.

The IVA will be particularly simple as you are exempt!

If over 70% (I think) of your clients practice the retention you will also be exempt from doing the IRPF quarterly return!

As you are IVA exempt you will not be able to claim back the VAT you have paid.

I'm not sure I understand your last two paragraphs very well. The retencion has to appear on each and every factura provided that your client is a business (not particular).

I'm not sure why the Hacienda told you that you have to charge IVA in Europe - education is exempt.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

If you were to do translation, for example, you would have to apply IVA, and then pay it to Hacienda every three months ("cada trimestre"). But as people have said, IVA does not apply to teaching. Neither do you need to register for IVA as such, or have a separate number.