Autónomo

Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

jakebriskett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Autónomo

Hi,

I'm a composer who has just moved to Barcelona from the UK. I'd be extremely grateful for your help with this unusual situation...

99% of my work will continue to be UK-based (I write for other composers and British TV) while I stay here (6 months definitely, but perhaps longer if it works well) and I'll continue to earn through my UK bank account.

I've just set up a contract for a new flat and I've been trying to register for NIE (mainly in order to open a bank account here which will make paying bills a lot easier), but they "need" the following before they process me:

-Proof that I'm financially secure if I don't plan on earning here (a stamped confirmation from a Spanish bank. I can prove this with a UK statement but I haven't found a Spanish bank that will do this for me yet).

-Proof of 3 months' paid Social Security contributions. This is really baffling me and I've read a lot of conflicting information about this (ranging from filling in a T521, paying €250 a month, paying €20.50 a month, showing an EHIC card). I went to the Social Security office to get some sort of documentation but they sent me away with nothing and I'm unsure of how to proceed. They didn't have information from someone in my employment situation (autonomo but essentially earning in the UK from UK sources). I don't know where to go next!

I'd be so grateful for any help as soon as possible. Many thanks for your time.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:22 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Autónomo

forget the EHIC option, it is only for holiday use and any treatment will be subject to acceptance by the Spanish medical system.
http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...ss-healthcare/
you may wish to consider paying for additional medical cover to the hilt as the EHIC doesn't cover for a flight home if needed.

if you are only going to be here for less than the 183 days (suggest you make that your intention and see how it pans out near the end of that) then you should not run foul of the Spanish taxation system. Any work you do can be under the cover of "holiday relaxation" as you are still a UK resident.
http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...n-spain/employ

hope this is a starter for you

`
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for this Domino, much appreciated!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:05 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jakebriskett
Hi,

I'm a composer who has just moved to Barcelona from the UK. I'd be extremely grateful for your help with this unusual situation...

99% of my work will continue to be UK-based (I write for other composers and British TV) while I stay here (6 months definitely, but perhaps longer if it works well) and I'll continue to earn through my UK bank account.

I've just set up a contract for a new flat and I've been trying to register for NIE (mainly in order to open a bank account here which will make paying bills a lot easier), but they "need" the following before they process me:

-Proof that I'm financially secure if I don't plan on earning here (a stamped confirmation from a Spanish bank. I can prove this with a UK statement but I haven't found a Spanish bank that will do this for me yet).

-Proof of 3 months' paid Social Security contributions. This is really baffling me and I've read a lot of conflicting information about this (ranging from filling in a T521, paying €250 a month, paying €20.50 a month, showing an EHIC card). I went to the Social Security office to get some sort of documentation but they sent me away with nothing and I'm unsure of how to proceed. They didn't have information from someone in my employment situation (autonomo but essentially earning in the UK from UK sources). I don't know where to go next!

I'd be so grateful for any help as soon as possible. Many thanks for your time.
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:13 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

If you have only applied for an NIE, then you do NOT need to show proof of income or proof of health care.

However, if you have applied for 'residency' then you do.

I would suggest opening a non-resident bank account which can be done with a passport.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for this snikpoh!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Autónomo

Originally Posted by snikpoh
If you have only applied for an NIE, then you do NOT need to show proof of income or proof of health care.

However, if you have applied for 'residency' then you do.

I would suggest opening a non-resident bank account which can be done with a passport.
Two different application forms. Just NIE is EX15 and you just ned a reason for wanting it such as to sign a 3 month lease on a flat. Green "Residencia" sheet form EX18 and you have to supply financial details and health arrangements.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

ionie is an unknown quantity at this point

They might be asking for a "vida laboral", a document easily obtained from the social security system, to prove that you have been making contributions. Obviously you won't get one if you haven't paid social security in Spain. I don't know about Cataluña but around here you can't apply for an NIE unless you are also applying for residency, for which you have to prove an income.
Our National Police office told me that if you don't live here then you have to apply for an nie number in your country of residence.
When you say that you are autonomo do you mean that you will be paying social security here or that you are paying it in the UK as self employed?
If all you need is the nie for is to pay the rent then I'd ask the landlord to treat it as a holiday let for 3 months whilst you get it sorted through the UK.
Unless, of course, it can be obtained here and I hope that someone can tell you that this is so, it would make life easier. Holidaymakers don't have to us an nie number to rent.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:14 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ionie
They might be asking for a "vida laboral", a document easily obtained from the social security system, to prove that you have been making contributions. Obviously you won't get one if you haven't paid social security in Spain. I don't know about Cataluña but around here you can't apply for an NIE unless you are also applying for residency, for which you have to prove an income.
Our National Police office told me that if you don't live here then you have to apply for an nie number in your country of residence.
When you say that you are autonomo do you mean that you will be paying social security here or that you are paying it in the UK as self employed?
If all you need is the nie for is to pay the rent then I'd ask the landlord to treat it as a holiday let for 3 months whilst you get it sorted through the UK.
Unless, of course, it can be obtained here and I hope that someone can tell you that this is so, it would make life easier. Holidaymakers don't have to us an nie number to rent.
IMO ...

This is clearly WRONG and the police have misinformed you. It is quite correct and acceptable to just apply for an NIE in Spain. There are many reasons that someone might want and need to do this.

What about needing an NIE to start the process of going autonomo and getting an SS number. Once these have been achieved, then you will have everything in place to get a 'residencia'.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:39 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
IMO ...

This is clearly WRONG and the police have misinformed you. It is quite correct and acceptable to just apply for an NIE in Spain. There are many reasons that someone might want and need to do this.

What about needing an NIE to start the process of going autonomo and getting an SS number. Once these have been achieved, then you will have everything in place to get a 'residencia'.
absolutely

and NON-residents also need NIE numbers to buy or inherit a property
Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

ionie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that.
I noticed yesterday that there's a different policeman manning the nie/residencia desk, maybe the old guy retired, so I'm going to take my friend back on Thursday and see what this one says.
I'll let you know...
Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:11 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ionie
Thanks for that.
I noticed yesterday that there's a different policeman manning the nie/residencia desk, maybe the old guy retired, so I'm going to take my friend back on Thursday and see what this one says.
I'll let you know...
just make sure you have the correct form - the EX15 for just a NIE number
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

SunnySunshine is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the person who advised you to ensure that you spend no more than 183 days in Spain in any calendar year. They count the day you arrived and the day you leave; so to be on the safe side be here no more than 181 days or less. You can go back and forth to the UK, or wherever, during that time. But whatever you do, do NOT become Autonomo, or a Resident, until you are VERY sure that you want to live in Spain.

Other countries in the EU base social security deductions on one's ACTUAL earnings, but not Spain. They have an arbitrary figure that tends to be somewhere between 260-300 Euros a month. Once you are Autonomo, you have to pay that whether you have work/clients/projects or not. The rub is that unless you are paying that you are actually not allowed to even try and get business! How is that fair! This is why so many people work without paying into the system; which doesn't help them build a pension for themselves; and they also don't qualify to use the Spanish Health System.

You definitely cannot use your European Health Card here. There's a new joint campaign between the NHS and the Spanish Health System to educate British expats about this fact. So you'll have to buy Medical Insurance at about 100 euros a month; or go back and forth to the UK in the case of something serious, which I hope won't happen to you.

All you need is your NIE # and you do not have to establish residency to get one. Just remember that 183 days, because whether you establish residency or not, if you stay over that time in any calendar year, you are automatically considered a fiscal resident. As such you would have to pay taxes on your worldwide income to Spain.

I will be leaving Spain as soon as I can, due to some of the matters I've alerted you about. Don't be trapped. Other EU countries have more sensible regulations for the self-employed.

Good luck : )
Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SunnySunshine

I will be leaving Spain as soon as I can, due to some of the matters I've alerted you about. Don't be trapped. Other EU countries have more sensible regulations for the self-employed.

Good luck : )
Seems like a strange reason to leave Spain and I say that as an autonomo who's wife is also an autonomo, so we pay 520 euros a month social security

260 euros a month is a bargain if you think that it includes healthcare for an entire family and a retirement pension

It would be more likely that you are leaving because you are not able to make enough money
Old Apr 21st 2013, 8:15 pm
Headpoopscopper

HeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond repute

Quick question how on earth would spain know since there arent ,any border crossing except to the uk, that one stayed 183 days I can travel anywhere in europe without being stopped ones.
sligtly OT sorry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.