ATM Scam

Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default ATM Scam

Most if not all of us have heard of various scams associated with ATM machines.
However I have never seen one.
Therefore these photos of one used recently in Gibraltar gave me a better insight into one of the devices used.

http://www.police.gi/images/press/34...xplanation.pdf

http://www.police.gi/images/press/34...M_Machines.pdf
Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:41 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ATM Scam

The card trap has been in common use for about ten years that I know of.
The skimmer maybe a little later but certainly not new.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

About 12 monthe ago, I got a call from my bank one sunday lunch time. ( I was in the UK) "Had I placed on line bets of several hundreds of pounds?" I never bet so the answer was easy. It appears that whilst paying for petrol somone had skimmed my card using a machine that was strapped to their ankle. The guy was actually working there and had done it to other customers as well. Luckily I got my money back. It turned out that when it worked with the betting, they tried to purchase a world cruise costing several thousand pounds, which was more than the amount in my account and the bank picked it up. It was over the weekend and I had not looked at my on line banking. I check it every day now.
Pete
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Just been short changed by 50€ - always check that they give you want you asked for.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 3:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
. It was over the weekend and I had not looked at my on line banking. I check it every day now.
Pete
Some banks offer a SMS service where you get a text immediately your card is used in any way, either at a till, ATM or online.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

stuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nice

Another way is just to pay cash wherever you can, and only use your card for online purchases.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuart from barnsley
Another way is just to pay cash wherever you can, and only use your card for online purchases.
...and you get your cash from an A.T.M!!!!!!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 10:27 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
...and you get your cash from an A.T.M!!!!!!
Whatever for ?

Nothing more degrading or soul destroying than standing in queues waiting to use bloody cash machines.
It's like begging or going down on your knees to the banks for the right to use your own money.

Then there's the risk of the various scams, the chance it may gobble up your card, the chance it may have run out of money, the chance it may be out of order or even the chance that they're all out of order as happened not so long ago.

No, for me the banks can stick their infernal cash machines, together with any charges, up their backsides,......sideways !

I take a decent lump sum out over the counter once in a very long while, keep the bulk in a very secure place and enough in hand to last a week or two,...... saves all that totally unneccessary hassle.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

A photo of the suspects.

http://www.chronicle.gi/headlines_details.php?id=28301
Old Mar 7th 2013, 10:13 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Whatever for ?

Nothing more degrading or soul destroying than standing in queues waiting to use bloody cash machines.
It's like begging or going down on your knees to the banks for the right to use your own money.

Then there's the risk of the various scams, the chance it may gobble up your card, the chance it may have run out of money, the chance it may be out of order or even the chance that they're all out of order as happened not so long ago.

No, for me the banks can stick their infernal cash machines, together with any charges, up their backsides,......sideways !

I take a decent lump sum out over the counter once in a very long while, keep the bulk in a very secure place and enough in hand to last a week or two,...... saves all that totally unneccessary hassle.
http://money.uk.msn.com/trending-blo...s-are-declined

Yet another example of many today.
It's a pity these bent bank directors never go through this sort of humiliation, as in the restaurant for just one example.
Not satisfied with making folk beg for what is actually their own money, they rub their noses in it as well.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 10:20 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Mostly well drilled Rumanian mafia guys that run these scams.
No sooner is one gang banged off back home complete with profits which have usually gone ahead of them, than they are replaced with the next gang of scumbags who continue business as normal.
I'm amazed you're not already aware of it Fred, it's been going on for such a long time.
You must lead a very sheltered life down there in Gib.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever for ?

I like to access money from a teller as well, it also helps to be known in the bank if there are problems. I see no fun standing in the street waiting for a machine to serve me.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 12:08 am
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

OK only me that thought blow jobs?

tp://money.uk.msn.com/trending-blo...s-are-declined
Old Mar 8th 2013, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mostly well drilled Rumanian mafia guys that run these scams.
No sooner is one gang banged off back home complete with profits which have usually gone ahead of them, than they are replaced with the next gang of scumbags who continue business as normal.
I'm amazed you're not already aware of it Fred, it's been going on for such a long time.
You must lead a very sheltered life down there in Gib.
DD I am quite aware what is happening, I made the original post because it is the first time I have seen such clear photos of the equipment used and some of it's shortcomings.
If it helps only one person to avoid this problem then I will consider it a useful post, and I am sure there are other members who have not seen these details.

Again the post showing the suspects is unlikely to get results from this forum, but one never knows and anything is better than sitting on ones posterior saying it's not my problem.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
OK only me that thought blow jobs?

tp://money.uk.msn.com/trending-blo...s-are-declined
Yep, just you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.