Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BE article on family care for the sick and elderly

BE article on family care for the sick and elderly

Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default BE article on family care for the sick and elderly

An article recently posted on this website should I believe, give retirees thinking of moving to Spain, pause for thought:

Family and Community Matter | British Expatriate Community

The article concerns the importance of family when it comes to caring for the sick and dying. Although the article focuses on Spain, I believe it applies to all southern European countries.

I know it is morbid to consider one's final years and eventual death, but for older emigrants to southern European countries, it should be something they plan for.

The final paragraph of the article includes the following sentences:

"It is important that all expats, young and old, should consider the options open to them later on in life and to make appropriate provision, and not to expect your adopted country to look after you. They will do their best, but it may not be what you would expect from the country of your birth in your final years. It is yet another reminder that being an expat means not only sipping gin and tonics in the sun, but accepting and adjusting to the customs and traditions of your newly adopted country – warts and all."

Do forum members agree with the premise of the article? If so, what "appropriate provision" can be made. I suppose one provision is leaving the door open for a return to the UK, but is there any provision that can be made for those who wish (or have to) remain in Spain?
Old Oct 15th 2014, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BE article on family care for the sick and elderly

There are residential complexes, but they are very expensive.
Going back to the UK if you become disabled, mentally or physically, and have no one able to look after you, is, in my opinion, the only solution at the moment.
Even there, there are problems with elderly care, but for safety and security, it is better.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
There are residential complexes, but they are very expensive.
Going back to the UK if you become disabled, mentally or physically, and have no one able to look after you, is, in my opinion, the only solution at the moment.
Even there, there are problems with elderly care, but for safety and security, it is better.
I cannot see how safety and security can be better in the UK than in Spain. I accept that you may be better able to make yourself understood but little else.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

The care homes in Spain are up against stiff competition from our home grown ones

We still do not value good personalised care for older people and we do not value the individuals who provide the care for the older person.

Nine in ten UK care homes and hospitals fail dementia patients, says damning report | Daily Mail Online
Old Oct 16th 2014, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather be dependent on Social Services in the UK than I would in Spain.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 5:49 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter which country's care home you're in if the staff can't understand what you are saying to them, and you can't understand what they are saying to you.

The care homes in Spain are probably much the same as the ones back home and in expat areas will have a token English speaker's presence to entice expats to spend their money in them.

That token English speaker is unlikely to be around when you want to tell the staff that you don't like fried fish, or that your back hurts when you walk.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt the Spanish care are much the same as back home. Most elderly people are cared for by their own families, so care homes are in their infancy.
I bet there are very few homes which cater for dementia sufferers.
Language is obviously going to be a big problem