Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Art of Spain Series - BBC4 Jan 31 9pm

The Art of Spain Series - BBC4 Jan 31 9pm

Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Paul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant future
Default The Art of Spain Series - BBC4 Jan 31 9pm

Have just spotted a forthcoming 3 x 60 mins series on Spanish Art on BBC4 starting Jan 31st 9pm. Sounds interesting especially to develop a better understanding of all that is in the museums.

Here's the intro from the BBC website -

"The Art Of Spain Ep 1/3 Thursday 31 January 9.00-10.00pm BBC FOUR
www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour

For the first time, the BBC devotes an entire series to the history of Spanish art. Critic and art historian Andrew Graham-Dixon travels from southern to northern Spain to tell the story of some of Europe's most exciting and vital art, which is often overshadowed by that of Italy.

The series starts in the south and explores the history of Moorish Spain. In 711, Spain was invaded by Islamic troops from North Africa and the Middle East. For the next 700 years, most of Spain was ruled by Muslims and the country became a largely Islamic state. Under the Muslims, Spain became the most advanced, wealthy and populous country in Europe. The Muslim contribution to Spanish culture was immense. Philosophy, poetry, science, mathematics, art and architecture all made giant leaps forward.

Andrew tells the story of Muslim political and cultural power as he travels from Cordoba to Seville and on to Granada. In these cities beautiful palaces, mosques and gardens were built. Andrew explores the art and architecture of Moorish Spain through classic buildings such as the Great Mosque in Cordoba, the Alcazar in Seville and the Alhambra in Granada.

He also explores the debt which both modern Spain and modern Europe owe to Moorish Spain. The Moors were not only keen to develop their minds; they also introduced new foods – including citrus fruits, coffee and numerous herbs and spices – to Spain, together with the technique by which alcohol is produced. In so many ways – from art and philosophy to food and drink – Moorish Spain shaped modern Europe."

Paul
Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Art of Spain Series - BBC4 Jan 31 9pm

Many thanks, Paul_C, for posting this information!
Carol
Old Jan 21st 2008, 3:49 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

BBC4!!!!! wish we could get it here, but will have to wait till it migrates to BBC 1 or 2, if it ever does.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud of

Mike can you get BBC i-player on your computer? I have just started using it to see programmes I have missed. Means I can stream or download to watch when I want to.

Carol
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAROL ELIZABETH
Mike can you get BBC i-player on your computer? I have just started using it to see programmes I have missed. Means I can stream or download to watch when I want to.

Carol
Only in the UK though, it tracks your IP and knows we are in Spain.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
Only in the UK though, it tracks your IP and knows we are in Spain.
Seems a pity. It is really good.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAROL ELIZABETH
Seems a pity. It is really good.
As jdr says, not possible, unless you are a real techie I suppose and can fool the BBC into thinking you are in the UK..
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:43 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
As jdr says, not possible, unless you are a real techie I suppose and can fool the BBC into thinking you are in the UK..
There is a thread in the lab on IP`s that may help.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_C
Have just spotted a forthcoming 3 x 60 mins series on Spanish Art on BBC4 starting Jan 31st 9pm. Sounds interesting especially to develop a better understanding of all that is in the museums.

Here's the intro from the BBC website -

"The Art Of Spain Ep 1/3 Thursday 31 January 9.00-10.00pm BBC FOUR
www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour

For the first time, the BBC devotes an entire series to the history of Spanish art. Critic and art historian Andrew Graham-Dixon travels from southern to northern Spain to tell the story of some of Europe's most exciting and vital art, which is often overshadowed by that of Italy.

The series starts in the south and explores the history of Moorish Spain. In 711, Spain was invaded by Islamic troops from North Africa and the Middle East. For the next 700 years, most of Spain was ruled by Muslims and the country became a largely Islamic state. Under the Muslims, Spain became the most advanced, wealthy and populous country in Europe. The Muslim contribution to Spanish culture was immense. Philosophy, poetry, science, mathematics, art and architecture all made giant leaps forward.

Andrew tells the story of Muslim political and cultural power as he travels from Cordoba to Seville and on to Granada. In these cities beautiful palaces, mosques and gardens were built. Andrew explores the art and architecture of Moorish Spain through classic buildings such as the Great Mosque in Cordoba, the Alcazar in Seville and the Alhambra in Granada.

He also explores the debt which both modern Spain and modern Europe owe to Moorish Spain. The Moors were not only keen to develop their minds; they also introduced new foods – including citrus fruits, coffee and numerous herbs and spices – to Spain, together with the technique by which alcohol is produced. In so many ways – from art and philosophy to food and drink – Moorish Spain shaped modern Europe."

Paul
Spain was not dominated during 700 years by the muslims, because starting for 1280 they were confined in Granada. In that time Cordoba was a great capital while others europeans capitals as London seemed a farm of hens, according to a british historian), but I want to remember that before of the muslims, the iberian, roman, etc, centuries ago that they had left all its culture here

Of the food I say the same thing exactly. The muslims contributed something to our gastronomy (in the same way that the spaniards would introduce the critics, the sugar and the coffee in America; and the same spaniards would bring potatoes, tomatoes, corn, cocoa, peppers, etc etc etc, to Europe) but the agriculture, the vegetable garden, the horses or the Gladius Hispaniense (also well-known as ancient spanish sword, sword that adopted the Roman legions) of the old Hispania was already known, for example by the old Roman, many centuries before the muslims arrived

Last edited by Relampago; Jan 23rd 2008 at 6:52 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:48 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonofspain1973
Spain was not dominated during 700 years by the muslims, because starting for 1280 they were confined in Granada. It was important their presence (in that time Cordoba was a great capital while others europeans capitals as London seemed a farm of hens, according to a british historian), but I want to remember that before of the muslims, the iberian, roman, etc, centuries ago that they had left all its culture here

Of the food I say the same thing exactly. The muslims contributed to the gastronomy (in the same way that the spaniards would introduce the critics, the sugar and the coffee in America; and the same spaniards would bring potatoes, tomatoes, corn, cocoa, peppers, etc etc etc, to Europe) but the agriculture and the vegetable garden of the old Hispania was already known, for example by the old Roman, many centuries before the muslims arrived
711 the Moors first invaded and defeated the heathen Kings, and it wasn't until the 15th century that the Reconquista really kicks in.

SoS, you should embrace the Moorish influence, maybe Madrid may have been avoided if the Spanish had treated the Muslims a little better.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
711 the Moors first invaded and defeated the heathen Kings, and it wasn't until the 15th century that the Reconquista really kicks in.

SoS, you should embrace the Moorish influence, maybe Madrid may have been avoided if the Spanish had treated the Muslims a little better.
Hasn't his English improved
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt

Madrid could have avoided...what? I don't know what you want to tell me, because Madrid is the ancient Complutum, city of roman origin, that it is as Londonium (the current London). Then I don't know that you want to tell me with Madrid and moorish, and of step, I would like that you explain what is for you moorish influence...

Last edited by Relampago; Jan 23rd 2008 at 7:04 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:22 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Hasn't his English improved
Really quite amazing isn't it?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Paul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant future

I thought it was an interesting program with an enthusiastic presenter and not too cerebral. It certainly added Cordoba to our list of must dos, and a need to learn more about Pedro the Cruel.

And if anyone missed it, its not too late.

Try iplayer if you're on broadband, and either in the UK or can generate a UK IP address.

Or watch the repeats next Wed at 11pm, or Thu 1.30am on BBC4.

Paul
Old Feb 1st 2008, 6:30 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

It's up on UKNova.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.