Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

arroyo/benalmadena restaraunts & bars

arroyo/benalmadena restaraunts & bars

Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:16 am
Just Joined

funbuddy is just really nicefunbuddy is just really nicefunbuddy is just really nicefunbuddy is just really nicefunbuddy is just really nicefunbuddy is just really nicefunbuddy is just really nicefunbuddy is just really nice
Default arroyo/benalmadena restaraunts & bars

so, please anyone, where's the best places to eat and drink in arroyo/benalmadena on del sol?. its always good to hear of other folks recomendations etc
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:56 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: arroyo/benalmadena restaraunts & bars

Originally Posted by funbuddy
so, please anyone, where's the best places to eat and drink in arroyo/benalmadena on del sol?. its always good to hear of other folks recomendations etc
Giorgios is really good (see map)
Mayerling steakhouse, plaza bonanza.
Nahar Mahal, indian along the front towards Fuengirola.
The Ruptured Duck C. Velande in Arroyo behind the health centre.
Browns, plaza Flamingo Benalmadena, not as good as it was though, but still decent.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:35 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Wot no Spanish ones
Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:41 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Wot no Spanish ones
Giorgios is Spanish, in fact they are all Spanish restaurants but serve English type foods.
I know what you mean though, I assumed he just wanted that sort of food, you know British style.
The ruptured duck is really called El Pato Roto, but does a great Sunday lunch.

Last edited by jdr; Jul 12th 2010 at 1:43 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I've eaten at 3 or 4 Spanish restaurants in Arroyo. I really like Arroyo in that it is a pleasant working class town and has a healthy atmosphere. However, there isnt really anywhere outstanding to eat.

I remember a pretty good Spanish fusion restaunt that was interesting, the Asturian restaurant was probably the most mediocre Asturian restaurant I've ever been to (they are usually excellent), and in another one I had cabrito which a loved in Granada, but here it was a bit insipid.

The best places in Arroyo are probably the incredibly cheap hamburgeserias and the pescaito frito place next to the fishmongers.

The really good restaurants are mainly in Malaga city and Pedregalejo/El Palo. El Higueron is OK but expensive for what they serve and there are a couple of OK places in Fuengirola and Marbella, but the average place you may walk into on the CDS is terrible, both for Spanish and international/British food.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:32 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Giorgios is Spanish, in fact they are all Spanish restaurants but serve English type foods.
I know what you mean though, I assumed he just wanted that sort of food, you know British style.
The ruptured duck is really called El Pato Roto, but does a great Sunday lunch.
Yes they sound like a good choice for someone on holiday The names mislead me. I thought Giorgios sounded Italian and is Browns really spanish Never been but I have heard it is good.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:59 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Yes they sound like a good choice for someone on holiday The names mislead me. I thought Giorgios sounded Italian and is Browns really spanish Never been but I have heard it is good.
Browns is English and used to be really good, but the prices kept going up.
We gave it a try a couple of weeks ago, they now do sort of menu of the day, but it is not as good as before.
Don Paco on Fuengirola front was good, but I think they have changehands now.
Moochers in Fish Ally is not bad, but too busy to relax in.

Last edited by jdr; Jul 12th 2010 at 3:01 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 3:06 pm
Banned

Yes I like Moochers haven't been for some time but even in winter it is busy. Not very good of you sit near the stage though
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:29 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by funbuddy
Depends what food and drink you like, Giorgio's is really good, yum yum.. You may have to book for a Saturday, it isn't expensive either. Deffo one of my favourites.
The Carvery at Hercules is great, that's yummy.. I'm thinking value for money and food that is quality too..
The Noor Mahal or Nahar Mahal are both good Indians.. However Indians are a bit pricey. Chicken and cheese Tikka starter is absolutely scrummy.
Xai Lai Bao chinese is really cheap and cheerful and do really nice BBQ ribs.
I like all these places and frequent them when possible..

If you want Spanish food, near 24 hour square is MacDonalds, just ask for El big mac.. Snort..
Any of the cheringuito's are good.. (however you spell it)
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
Depends what food and drink you like, Giorgio's is really good, yum yum.. You may have to book for a Saturday, it isn't expensive either. Deffo one of my favourites.
The Carvery at Hercules is great, that's yummy.. I'm thinking value for money and food that is quality too..
The Noor Mahal or Nahar Mahal are both good Indians.. However Indians are a bit pricey. Chicken and cheese Tikka starter is absolutely scrummy.
Xai Lai Bao chinese is really cheap and cheerful and do really nice BBQ ribs.
I like all these places and frequent them when possible..

If you want Spanish food, near 24 hour square is MacDonalds, just ask for El big mac.. Snort..
Any of the cheringuito's are good.. (however you spell it)
My word, do any English people on the CDS ever go to a Spanish restaurant and eat Spanish food?

Judging by the hundreds of cr*ppy English places in Fuengirola, Arroyo and Benalmadena and the comments on this thread, I guess not!
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:37 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cricketman
I've eaten at 3 or 4 Spanish restaurants in Arroyo. I really like Arroyo in that it is a pleasant working class town and has a healthy atmosphere. However, there isnt really anywhere outstanding to eat.

I remember a pretty good Spanish fusion restaunt that was interesting, the Asturian restaurant was probably the most mediocre Asturian restaurant I've ever been to (they are usually excellent), and in another one I had cabrito which a loved in Granada, but here it was a bit insipid.

The best places in Arroyo are probably the incredibly cheap hamburgeserias and the pescaito frito place next to the fishmongers.

The really good restaurants are mainly in Malaga city and Pedregalejo/El Palo. El Higueron is OK but expensive for what they serve and there are a couple of OK places in Fuengirola and Marbella, but the average place you may walk into on the CDS is terrible, both for Spanish and international/British food.
The average place you walk into 'anywhere' is terrible.. It's what you know, what you like, what you expect and what you can afford. So your summing up is not really very accurate. It may be for you! But to put a big label on it being terrible isn't cool.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:44 pm
HOODIE

My word, do any English people on the CDS ever go to a Spanish restaurant and eat Spanish food?

Judging by the hundreds of cr*ppy English places in Fuengirola, Arroyo and Benalmadena and the comments on this thread, I guess not!
I guess they must have all read your reports on them and decided to give them a miss seeing as they are so crap.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The average place you walk into 'anywhere' is terrible.. It's what you know, what you like, what you expect and what you can afford. So your summing up is not really very accurate. It may be for you! But to put a big label on it being terrible isn't cool.
I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about restaurants as I have relatives here, who despite having lived in Spain for a long time, don't even know what a tortilla de patata is.

I have "had" to meet with them a few times, even though the places we go to aren't cheap (around Fuengirola, in "fish alley" and on the seafront) they are awful. My OH actually gets sick as she's not used to the cheap oils and meat that these places throw out. We found a place now that makes a homemade hamburger that is alright, so now we suggest that one.

It is a complete joke though, given that there are good Spanish places near the main plaza, but they can't even contemplate that. They say they don't like garlic even though most Spanish food has no garlic at all!
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:58 pm
HOODIE

I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about restaurants as I have relatives here, who despite having lived in Spain for a long time, don't even know what a tortilla de patata is.

I have "had" to meet with them a few times, even though the places we go to aren't cheap (around Fuengirola, in "fish alley" and on the seafront) they are awful. My OH actually gets sick as she's not used to the cheap oils and meat that these places throw out. We found a place now that makes a homemade hamburger that is alright, so now we suggest that one.

It is a complete joke though, given that there are good Spanish places near the main plaza, but they can't even contemplate that. They say they don't like garlic even though most Spanish food has no garlic at all!
I've never thought about that last bit before. I love garlic but have never tasted it in Spanish food. I'm a seafood lover, adore paella and tortillas and that is why I say the chiringuitos as you are right by the sea, it smells great, isn't overcrowded and noisey like most restaurants. See, I did mention Spanish food. After the bit about mac donalds.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've never thought about that last bit before. I love garlic but have never tasted it in Spanish food. I'm a seafood lover, adore paella and tortillas and that is why I say the chiringuitos as you are right by the sea, it smells great, isn't overcrowded and noisey like most restaurants. See, I did mention Spanish food. After the bit about mac donalds.
I love chiringuitos too, but the couple I went to in Fuengirola werent so good, but that was a few years ago when I'd just descovered squid and octopus and they end up chewy and unedible if not done properly. Sardinas and boquerones are the best things in this part of Spain which are impossible to get wrong.

We've found a really good chiringuito in Carvajal now, although the ones East of Malaga are of a whole other world!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.