British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Arrested in spain! help please! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/arrested-spain-help-please-576386/)

lynnxa Jul 14th 2009 12:56 pm

Re: Arrested in spain! help please!

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo (Post 7751362)
drink driving would have been and still is a minimum 12 month ban, points on licence and a fine. Thereonafter, car insurance premiums go through the roof.

I have a friend back in the Uk who´s husband got a ban several years ago and they lost everything

Jo xx

come to think of it I know a guy here who got a 1 year ban & a massive fine a couple of years ago

it took quite a while to come to court though - and he was allowed to pay the fine off monthly

he was breathalysed 'the morning after':eek:

littlelambfound Jul 14th 2009 1:52 pm

Some moons ago, I was first at the scene of an accident in which a young girl and her even younger sister were struck by a drunk driver going the wrong way down a one-way street. The older (18) was dead in the vehicle, but the younger (14 years old) lost both feet to the engine being pushed through the footwell. We tried everything to save her, but she just faded away as we were trying to cheer her up.
Three points I remember:
1. As I was talking to her, she asked why I was crying.
2. Being the last to see both their daughters alive, obliged me to visit their parents, to recount the last moments. They then showed me their bedrooms.
3. The sheer frustration at the pointlessness of two families ruined by an idiot.

I notice that the OP has not returned, probably recognizing that there is little sympathy to be found here. I wish her husband only what he has coming to him. And I hope he has the backbone to face up to it (though he does sound rather pathetic).

rugbymatt Jul 14th 2009 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by valenciatim (Post 7751261)
He has managed to kill yet another thread.

Ow diddums, is the thread becoming to grown up for you?

To the poster who suggested that I was saying its not dangerous then I'm afraid you are putting words in my mouth, in fact if anyone was to bother looking back you would see that I am not a big fan of drink driving, but what I am saying is that the HUGE amount of money spent on cracking down on it, for what? The amount caught each year rises, and only last year a couple of the police forces around the country admitted they were losing the fight.

I will say, I know a policeman who used to sit and drink in our old local in Norfolk and he would finish the night off with three or four large whiskies, then get in his landrover and drive home.

cricketman Jul 14th 2009 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 7751991)
Ow diddums, is the thread becoming to grown up for you?

To the poster who suggested that I was saying its not dangerous then I'm afraid you are putting words in my mouth, in fact if anyone was to bother looking back you would see that I am not a big fan of drink driving, but what I am saying is that the HUGE amount of money spent on cracking down on it, for what? The amount caught each year rises, and only last year a couple of the police forces around the country admitted they were losing the fight.

I will say, I know a policeman who used to sit and drink in our old local in Norfolk and he would finish the night off with three or four large whiskies, then get in his landrover and drive home.

You say and for what? The death rate on the Spanish roads has been declining year on year at a dramatic rate. 10% less deaths this year and the rate has almost halfed over the past 5 years or so.

Many reasons for this, safer cars, the very succesful points scheme on driving licence and a clamp down on drink driver.

It is now twice as safe to drive in Spain than in the US. Although it is not quite at UK levels (which is the safest place in the world to drive a car) it is getting there. And that is despite there are roads in Spain you can do more than 50mph on :)

More people die on the roads each year than get murdered or die in wars!

rugbymatt Jul 14th 2009 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 7752016)
More people die on the roads each year than get murdered or die in wars!

Are you sure?

About half a million die a year by murder, and its estimated that around 600,0000 die in wars...

Its amazing, someone says something on here about their opinion and its shouted down... my point about the painter people has been proved.

cricketman Jul 14th 2009 4:32 pm

I'm not shouting at any one. Maybe I should use more smilies :eek: :blink: :thumbsup:

cricketman Jul 14th 2009 4:35 pm

A quick google search found this... 1.2 million die on the road each year

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ment.transport

:p

rugbymatt Jul 14th 2009 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 7752080)
A quick google search found this... 1.2 million die on the road each year

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ment.transport

:p

So its about the same...

Dick Dasterdly Jul 14th 2009 5:03 pm

So lets call it a score draw and put drink-driving alongside politics and religion as dodgy subjects on discussion forums........:rofl:

Oh,..forgot and buying bars and buying fincas and......................

cricketman Jul 14th 2009 5:07 pm

I love the interesting topics. Its good to learn things and hear other peoples opinions and experiences. Doesnt mean you have to agree with them of course. Nothing wrong with a little healthy debate :) As long as there is no personal nastiness

andyrich666 Jul 14th 2009 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 7752217)
I love the interesting topics. Its good to learn things and hear other peoples opinions and experiences. Doesnt mean you have to agree with them of course. Nothing wrong with a little healthy debate :) As long as there is no personal nastiness

Is it just becuase this is such a serious offence or would it happen if it was a unpaid speeding fine etc

jdr Jul 14th 2009 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by andyrich666 (Post 7752383)
Is it just becuase this is such a serious offence or would it happen if it was a unpaid speeding fine etc

They swipe the passports and can pull you for any outstanding fine etc if your name/PP number is on the list.
The boxer got pulled at Malaga for missing a court appearance a little while ago and is now in nick.

andyrich666 Jul 14th 2009 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 7752512)
They swipe the passports and can pull you for any outstanding fine etc if your name/PP number is on the list.
The boxer got pulled at Malaga for missing a court appearance a little while ago and is now in nick.

Who (they) swipes the passports ?

jdr Jul 14th 2009 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by andyrich666 (Post 7752530)
Who (they) swipes the passports ?

Customs swipe them through their machine and any naughties show on their screen, they did it at Gib also last time I went through.

andyrich666 Jul 14th 2009 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 7752536)
Customs swipe them through their machine and any naughties show on their screen, they did it at Gib also last time I went through.

I see, I have a unpaid speeding fine which I really shoud pay and I think I will do after reading this thread, I guess I have never had a problem re-entering spain as the People only have my licence on file and not my passport, I will pay it tomorrow and get it out the way, not being funny but its just been at the back of my mind rather than trying to evade it