British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Arrested in spain! help please! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/arrested-spain-help-please-576386/)

jay01 Jul 14th 2009 11:10 am

Re: Arrested in spain! help please!

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 7750995)
He he....

I was more suggesting that the amount of money spent on catching drink drivers because of the fear of someone getting killed is disproportionate to the amount of money spent on dealing with real deaths. The traffic division is massive now, and like someone said they can find you if you go a week over your tax disc, know when you don't have an MOT or insurance now, spend upwards of £20,000 for those little cameras that are now springing up all over towns and cities manned 24 hours a day, but they can't even keep tabs on a pedophile who is registered yet gets a job in a school!

You are correct in everything you say, but that is not the polices fault, that has more to do with people who have nothing else to do with there time but think about the criminal and their "human rights". Joy for human rights, used as it should be against the most barbaric of treatments it is a life saver (not that the countries who have human rights isses give a monkeys about brussels and what they say) it is those that have no kids, nothing to do but drink tea with the ladies group and have no understanding of reality that make our lives hell.

Prisoners get better treatment than the average guy that works his socks off, the guy who kills someone in his car for what ever reason has a slap on the wrist, kids can tourment teachers, authority and home life, but heaven forbid they be told off for it. Deal with the do gooders in our society, allow the law to do its job, teachers to do theres and parents to do there's, then maybe the authorities will be able to deal with what their paid to do,

The nanny state, wish nanny would look after herself and leave the rest of us alone.

rugbymatt Jul 14th 2009 11:14 am

Originally Posted by valenciatim (Post 7751036)
....... and nicely back on topic!:thumbup:

I wasn't aware it was off topic Tim.

jdr Jul 14th 2009 11:15 am

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 7750951)
While I totally agree with all the comments regarding drink driving I also know its very unfair to sit in judgement on something someone did. As someone else said, "without sin" and all that and I have sat in enough pubs over the years and watched some of the most sanctimonious people have "drink or two" and drive their families home after a Sunday lunch session.

I do think that if the OP did an intentional skip and tried to hide the whole thing and get off with it then its about time to face the music and do the right thing, responsibility is something we all have to face up to!

What I don't agree with is the whole "you could kill someone" attitude.

Try telling that to the woman who was on the TV last night, lost her two little boys and her husband is crippled due to some drunk who hit them up the arse at 95 mph and pushed them down an embankment.

rugbymatt Jul 14th 2009 11:18 am

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 7751083)
Try telling that to the woman who was on the TV last night, lost her two little boys and her husband is crippled due to some drunk who hit them up the arse at 95 mph and pushed them down an embankment.

and you know full well that people die every day from speeding.

I am not arguing FOR drink driving here people, I am simply saying that using the death argument is a little alarmist given the sheer amount of people killed on the roads, the amount of people who ACTUALLY drink drive and how that relates to other deaths...

jojojojojojojojojojojojo Jul 14th 2009 11:46 am

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 7751092)
and you know full well that people die every day from speeding.

I am not arguing FOR drink driving here people, I am simply saying that using the death argument is a little alarmist given the sheer amount of people killed on the roads, the amount of people who ACTUALLY drink drive and how that relates to other deaths...

You´re bored today arent you Matt ;);)

Jo xxx

jay01 Jul 14th 2009 11:51 am

Are we not digressing again, We all have our opinions and how we view rights and wrongs, and in defence of the OP's OH, attitudes there are only just getting somewhere near the UK now.

It was 6 yrs ago and hopefully with age comes some knowledge, poor woman has been through enough with family that is not quite so trustworthy, a system that still has to find the abbacus before it can get anywhere near the computer and the embarrassment of having in effect her dirty washing discected in public on a forum, lets give her break and agree that she at least needs a thumbs up for asking for help, :thumbsup:

cricketman Jul 14th 2009 12:00 pm

rugbymat, if you have the figures to show that drink driving isnt dangerous then please use them.

This link shows 3,000 people are killed or seriously injured each year in the UK through drink driving. That is 3,000 too many

http://www.drinkdrivingfacts.com/dri...ing_facts.aspx

Taking that risk is irresponsible and the drink driver should be punished

jay01 Jul 14th 2009 12:07 pm

Please all, I can see tempers and hackles seem to be rising.

I do not think Matt is in any way condoning what Moomins OH did, But maybe a little unwisely touched a raw nerve about its serverity. Lets not turn this into into a bashing session, either way.:)

jojojojojojojojojojojojo Jul 14th 2009 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 7751208)
rugbymat, if you have the figures to show that drink driving isnt dangerous then please use them.

This link shows 3,000 people are killed or seriously injured each year in the UK through drink driving. That is 3,000 too many

http://www.drinkdrivingfacts.com/dri...ing_facts.aspx

Taking that risk is irresponsible and the drink driver should be punished

In fairness to Matt I dont think he said that, he was simply saying that there are other issues that are dangerous too.

In any case, dangerous or not, its against the law and there for should be punished quite rightly

Jo

Emma-Louise Jul 14th 2009 12:14 pm

The guy was drinking and driving. He left the country hoping that nothing comes of it and therefore disrespected the Spanish system.

Most people can withdraw cash on a credit card.

There are plenty of ways of getting money sent abroad.

It is a case of what goes around comes around.

No sympathy.

valenciatim Jul 14th 2009 12:19 pm

He has managed to kill yet another thread.

lynnxa Jul 14th 2009 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Emma-Louise (Post 7751247)
The guy was drinking and driving. He left the country hoping that nothing comes of it and therefore disrespected the Spanish system.

Most people can withdraw cash on a credit card.

There are plenty of ways of getting money sent abroad.

It is a case of what goes around comes around.

No sympathy.

I feel sorry for his wife though

and it sounds like he has elderly parents in Spain that might not get to see him unless this gets sorted

jojojojojojojojojojojojo Jul 14th 2009 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 7751267)
I feel sorry for his wife though

and it sounds like he has elderly parents in Spain that might not get to see him unless this gets sorted

Sadly, you reap what you sow. Would it have been better if he´d been stopped in the UK tho??

Jo xx

lynnxa Jul 14th 2009 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo (Post 7751314)
Sadly, you reap what you sow. Would it have been better if he´d been stopped in the UK tho??

Jo xx

absolutely

I don't feel sorry for him at all

at least I suppose they are trying to pay the fine now

I don't know what the penalty would have been in the UK 6 years ago - points & a fine I suppose?

it would all have been over & done with now, that's for sure

jojojojojojojojojojojojo Jul 14th 2009 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 7751334)
absolutely

I don't feel sorry for him at all

at least I suppose they are trying to pay the fine now

I don't know what the penalty would have been in the UK 6 years ago - points & a fine I suppose?

it would all have been over & done with now, that's for sure

drink driving would have been and still is a minimum 12 month ban, points on licence and a fine. Thereonafter, car insurance premiums go through the roof.

I have a friend back in the Uk who´s husband got a ban several years ago and they lost everything

Jo xx