Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Which area for NIE number?

Which area for NIE number?

Old Sep 20th 2005, 4:03 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which area for NIE number?

Originally Posted by cindyp
Just found this thread, you may already have been to spain, done your queuing etc and got your number. However, if you haven't and you don't need it absolutely immediately, it is possible to get it done via the spanish consulate. We got ours through the one in Draycott Place, Chelsea. Essentially what you do is fill all the forms in and get your photos etc and then you have to go to the consulate in person between certain hours (there will be a queue but when we went we only queued for about 40 mins.

They stamp the forms with an official stamp and send them off to Madrid (I think). About 4 weeks later, your NIE arrives through the post to either your UK address or your spanish one, depending which address you give. It costs about £38 each, I seem to remember (sorry, it was a year ago we did this). If you do have to ring the consulate in Draycott place to find out about it, beware that there is a very infamous spanish lady in the department that deal with NIE numbers, she's incredibly rude and just shouts at you all the time to read the website and do what it says on the website and then she puts the phone down!! But sometimes you get someone nice and helpful who will explain it all. But if you look at the website, it does tell you everything you need to know.

It's marginally easier than getting on a plane to spain, finding your way to the local NIE office and queuing up for hourse, particularly if your spanish is a bit ropy or non existent. Details on http://www.conspalon.org/indexeng.html.

Good luck
You dont need photos...... the squares at the top are for official stamps.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 5:35 pm
Mortgage Wizard

Gill Stevens is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
As I put the original question on the forum I thought I would now put an update on as we have just come back from Spain and now got our NIE nos.

We went to Elche police station - got there at 9.25. One couple in front us collecting their numbers. We gave them our forms, the lady said collect in 3 weeks. We said we are only here for two weeks, leaving on 10th Sept. She then said OK come back on the 9th and marked the form as urgent. We were finished within 20 mins.

We went back on the 9th Sept, didn't have to get a number and one person in front of us. We were again in and out in 10 minutes.

We will be living in Daya Vieja about 9kms inland from Guadarmar. Don't know if it makes any difference what area you will be in, but can certainly recommend Elche. It is a nice city to visit anyway and I have directions to the police station if anyone wants them. It only took about 20 mins from the N332.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

cindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jdr
In my experience ( a year ago) - you do need photos - can't remember what they do with them, you may be right the squares on the top of the form are for an official stamp, but the photos are needed for some part of the 'official' process. Turn up without them at your peril! In fact turn up without any of it at your peril, they seem to look for an excuse to turn you away to the back of the queue! I didnt have the envelope addressed for Madrid etc mentioned on the site but luckily, I had an envelope in my bag and some stamps, so was able to do one....

I think the photos are something to do with legalising your passport - I seem to remember I had to also have a photocopy of my passport with me too which they have to certify as a true copy etc, etc.. they stamp it with an official stamp - I did a colour copy and it was no good cos it was shiny and they couldn't stamp it but luckily the person who did our NIE was very helpful and did a black and white copy for me at the consultate, but if you get the shouty lady she won't help in any way - if you haven't got everthing listed she won't do it.

So if you are going down this route, make sure you have absolutely everything listed...to avoid a wasted journey....

But as least you can do it in advance of a house purchase etc so that you are prepared etc...
Old Oct 25th 2006, 10:38 am
Just Joined

teddybear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello

Hi I don't know if you remember me - we were in contact about buying on the Dayasol site. Have you moved in yet.